Where were you on September 11, 2001?

Mister Woof
On 9/14/2019 at 12:35 AM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I was waiting for an English class to start, after spending the morning at the university. A classmate came in and said "a plane hit the twin towers", and I pictured something like a Cessna crashing against it by accident. Then other people came in with conflicting information and scarce sources, and eventually we had our class without knowing the full picture. On my way home after that, I stopped at a shopwindow where TVs on sale were tuned to news stations. Saw the building on fire and the headlines, and started to get the sense that it was a bigger thing. I arrived home and my brother, who would have been at work but was ill, told me the full story, and by then the second plane had already hit its target as well. Information on the remaining planes was much scarcer, often taken back shortly after released, and I believe it took a day or more for the Pentagon's plane to be confirmed.

I think everyone I knew understood at the time that this was a relevant event, some at least in a sense of mere salience (like, say, Notre Dame's fire), some in a sense of world politics shakeup. Looking back, when I think of what changes in our world I would say were brought about /largely influence by this attack, I tend to think the ones behind it can sadly be very proud of the outcome :/

For example, in your case, it's a negative.

And while you were getting your pencils ready for English class, I was 19 years old, fresh out of high school serving in the U.S. Air Force. I believe that same day, my flight received chemical weapons hazmat training before being deployed to Bahrain 2 weeks later...

I love this country, so much so that I'd be willing to die for it. So, yeah...don't tell me how much pride I'm allowed to show for being part of one the greatest nations on Earth.

Have a great day.

I agree that these events need to be taught. after all those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it. and it needs to be remembered as a tragedy. The A bombs where a tragedy. Chyrnobol was a tragedy. hiroshema was a tragedy. we remember them so we do not make the same mistakes next time.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I might have been about 4 or 5? Think I saw it on the news, but as a 5-year-old I wasn't terribly interested in news. In any case, 3 planes crashing into buildings, 2 of them at the same location seemed absurd.

I did read about it some years later. But on that day in 2001, I really couldn't care less unless it was F1 or Manchester United.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

I was 13 years old and in grade 8, so I was in school/class when it happened. I was is a special class or sort and my teacher turn on the tv (basic cable), so pretty much saw it live on TV as well.

I came home from elementary school to watch TV and I saw it on almost every TV channel. That made me realize it was that serious.

And I lived in Canada, back then.