Titanium Apple Credit Card reportedly very sensitive | Say goodbye to Jeans and Leather wallets

AlTech
1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

What's next, credit card protectors so you have them undamaged in wallets meant for credit cards? LOL

Already begun. I recently got (as in, received without asking for it, they send it to everyone) a protector thingy for my travel card. No joke. And it doesn't even look like a card that could be damaged easily... whatever, cool they sent it, I guess.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

4 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

No? Why the hostile reply? I'm just saying (asking in a non-question) that I've never seen damaged cards, and am curious how you got them to be that way. Nowhere did I say that everyone has a perfect credit card.

Credit cards naturally wear over time with use. I carry five in my wallet and every single one looks like shit after a few months of siding then in and out of my wallet, using them with magswipe, contactless, handing them off to others to swipe, etc... Only recently is it less of an "issue" as a result of more NFC style payments.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

29 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Already begun. I recently got (as in, received without asking for it, they send it to everyone) a protector thingy for my travel card. No joke. And it doesn't even look like a card that could be damaged easily... whatever, cool they sent it, I guess.

Do you mean an EM shield to avoid a nearby person from stealing the info in passing?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

44 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Credit cards naturally wear over time with use. I carry five in my wallet and every single one looks like shit after a few months of siding then in and out of my wallet, using them with magswipe, contactless, handing them off to others to swipe, etc... Only recently is it less of an "issue" as a result of more NFC style payments.

Interesting. I guess the cards I see are either used less, in a less harsh environment, or are better built, as really the only wear I've seen with cards is the black strip fading away a bit after many years of use.

44 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Do you mean an EM shield to avoid a nearby person from stealing the info in passing?

No, literally just a plastic case-like thingy. One side is made to look like a proper white card, but then quite flimsy, and the other side of somewhat strongish seethrough solid plastic. Not sure I'll use it yet, if it fits into my card holder I might, but it probably won't fit, so I guess it'll just reside in my closet somewhere. :P

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

People really care about what their credit card looks like? WTF?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

7 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

No? Why the hostile reply? I'm just saying (asking in a non-question) that I've never seen damaged cards, and am curious how you got them to be that way. Nowhere did I say that everyone has a perfect credit card.

Storing the card in the same wallet slot with other cards seems to scuff them in a hurry. In my own wallet, the cards I very seldom use/don't care much about are stored this way. The card I use all the time gets it's own slot, and still looks pristine 6 months later.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

While titanium sounds fancy and is a good material for certain types of applications, the use here is ridiculous. It's like someone engineered it by randomly picking a material and never actually checked where people store them or how they use them. What's next, credit card protectors so you have them undamaged in wallets meant for credit cards? LOL

What I'd totally dig would be credit card made of Gorilla Glass. Scratch resistant, stain resistant, can actually be bent a lot before it even considers breaking. And it would look sick, transparent with chip on it.

Problem with producing a card of such a hard material is that the card can now scratch other objects that reside with it, for example, if someone sticks their card in the same pocket as their iPhone. 

My eyes see the past…

Don't people have wallets?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

So as with most Apple products they look great when on display but are fragile af.

6 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

People really care about what their credit card looks like? WTF?

Ask people with black or gold Mastercards :P You can't look like a peasant handling a regular blue plastic Mastercard lmao

9 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Ask people with black or gold Mastercards :P You can't look like a peasant handling a regular blue plastic Mastercard lmao

I just look like an eccentric weirdo handing over my bright green and blue Citi card instead. ?

My eyes see the past…

When I heard about this I thought it would be a major issue. But then I heard Luke talk about it on the WAN show and realized, huh... This isn't nearly as big of a problem as I firs thought.

I don't have loose cards inside my jeans pocket, and even if I did my jeans doesn't have denim on the inside of the pockets.

I have my cards in my wallet, and my leather wallet does not have leather in the card slots either (because that would make them near impossible to get out).

So when will this be an issue exactly? I think the card will pick up some discoloration and I don't think you should need to baby a credit card. But at the same time, who cares if it gets a bit dirty? Other cards get dirty too.

Ye it's titanium though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

What makes you think they don't ?

https://dbrand.com/shop/apple-card-skins

Gotta love the card holder name tho.

great! now @Den-Fi doesn't have to worry about his card getting a spec of dust and dying!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I have a card that is made out of Tungsten that has held up just fine. It's pretty heavy though. When I hand it to people they are surprised by it

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

46 minutes ago, will4623 said:

great! now @Den-Fi doesn't have to worry about his card getting a spec of dust and dying!

As indicated in the very first response to this thread, I don't care what my cards look like.

20 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

As indicated in the very first response to this thread, I don't care what my cards look like.

wonder if it helps against magnets?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

21 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Some how I feel like that’s next, watch samsung do that lmao 

Now imagining a stereotypical Samsung card.  It basically looks like last year's Apple Card.  It's convenient and quick when you first get it, but mysteriously starts taking forever to handle purchases months later.  Not that you'll be using it, because Samsung will have to recall the cards after they mysteriously start shattering in people's hands.

It's a piece of metal with an RFID chip, why do we care if it gets scratched exactly? It's stupid to make it out of anything other than laminated plastic just because there's no reason for it but... honestly, who cares?

On 8/29/2019 at 7:38 PM, VegetableStu said:

that applies to every single magstripe out there ._.

IKR, not sure what's different here

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, VegetableStu said:

your science teacher would like to have a word with you ._.

(vinyl sheets are not ferromagnetic. also even if it is, it will interfere with transmission ._.)

I know.

On 8/29/2019 at 1:25 PM, Den-Fi said:

I mean... all of my other cards look like crap too... what's one more?

Also, so that this post isn't a complete waste of time join the LTT folding team!

You are a legend.

I'd join if I wasn't using my PC constantly when at home, and had it turned off when I wasn't using it or not home. (custom water cooling build. I know I wouldn't be able to save it even if I was present if/when the loop fails, but damned if I'm not here to watch it happen)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They should have anodized it instead of painting it.  Problem solved.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

27 minutes ago, FezBoy said:

They should have anodized it instead of painting it.  Problem solved.

A real titanium card would be too expensive. Coating it is quite cheap in comparison.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),