Samsung Announces The Galaxy S10 Trio

LAwLz
12 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

You either did and you didn't know you did or you bought it at a discount. The Galaxy s2 was $600 for the 16gb variant iirc. The only way it was less was when you were on a carrier subsidized plan (which was virtually everyone in the US pre-2015~) or bought it at a discount.

That's the 32gb variant actually I think, ok it was more like $400 but you could still get them. Not every phone sold was a galaxy or iphone remember.

This is ignoring that flagship smartphones have pretty much always had a 100%+ profit margin on BOM costs, quite high compared to anything else sold in such quantity.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

No they really did use to cost $300. I never sign contracts myself. $600 would not be a loss either

Can you provide proof?  I'm not trying to be malicious, but in my experience flagship smartphones have been subsidized for over a decade.

Also, do you have access to Samsung's finances?  Because you can't just say "it wouldn't be a loss" without knowing the full costs.  Given what we know about smartphone design, it's highly unlikely the S10 costs $600 or less to make.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

Can you provide proof?  I'm not trying to be malicious, but in my experience flagship smartphones have been subsidized for over a decade.

Also, do you have access to Samsung's finances?  Because you can't just say "it wouldn't be a loss" without knowing the full costs.  Given what we know about smartphone design, it's highly unlikely the S10 costs $600 or less to make.

Do you? Given that we know the very best phones cost no more than $400 to make

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

S10+ 12GB/1TB - 1599 USD/Euro

I remember a time when Android phones were for peasants...

But I guess that time is long gone :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, S w a t s o n said:

R&D, marketing, employees, rent and electricity cost, inflation... They all weigh in in the final cost of a product.

Just now, Schadenfreudee said:

R&D, marketing, employees, rent and electricity cost, inflation... They all weigh in in the final cost of a product.

Still doesn't add up to anything even close to $1600.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, Schadenfreudee said:

Yea and they probably arent really spending $400 out of pocket to make the phones either, considering their extreme amount of vertical integration in Samsung's case

10 minutes ago, Geography said:

I remember a time when Android phones were for peasants...

But I guess that time is long gone :P

No, people still think you are poor if you have an android. Ran into another fucking moron last week that still though so

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Do people really need all of that in their phones though? I've been using a 6s Plus since launch and find little reason to spend anything more than $750 on a new phone. Even then, I decided to upgrade my PC to Ryzen 5 instead of replace my 6s Plus with a XR.

Think about it, what would you do on an S10 (or any new phone) that I can't do on a 4 year old flagship...... Is it worth $1000+? 

I'm wondering the same, 128gb storage for the base model seems like a huge amount, doubt many people will even use half of that. I'm still using an s7 edge and the only reason for me to upgrade would be because of a severely degraded battery or slow performance. Not having any of those issues yet, and battery in the s10 is even smaller than what I currently have.

I'm guessing they're jacking up the prices to counter the rising amount of people having a similar "my 3 year old phone is still good enough" experience, but I don't know if its actually significant

meh, gonna keep my V10 for another year.

Samsung did tick most boxes with the 10e (no curve, flat screen)

Buuuuuuut they lose me at it being the smallest of the trio, give me a flat 10+ damn it

glass back and non removable battery

and there's a hole on the screen

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Does the 1TB model have expandable memory? It is still only halfway to the 2TB smartisian that was released last year.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Only that's not actually true.

Someone brought up those device cost breakdown pieces in an Apple fiscal results call... and yeah, Tim Cook tore them a new one.  Not only is the base part cost wrong, but it doesn't include other factors in the cost of a device, like patent licensing, R&D, shipping... basically, it's a lot more expensive.  Look to the gross margin a company typically makes on its phones and that will give you a hint of what the actual cost is.  There's a sizeable profit with phones like the S10, but it's not nearly that big!

Another reason I will stay away from Samsung :)

btw, to me, Nokia 8.1 seems like a good phone for the money, without being a completely Chinese one.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 hours ago, williamcll said:

Does the 1TB model have expandable memory? It is still only halfway to the 2TB smartisian that was released last year.

yep. still expendable 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

13 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

That's the 32gb variant actually I think, ok it was more like $400 but you could still get them. Not every phone sold was a galaxy or iphone remember.

This is ignoring that flagship smartphones have pretty much always had a 100%+ profit margin on BOM costs, quite high compared to anything else sold in such quantity.

Very difficult to find price tags in dollars because phones in the US market tended to be subsidized with carrier variants. However the price tag for an unlocked variant was north of $500. I personally paid something along the lines of $500-550 for mine. So you must have either have found an excellent offer, bought it refurbished or indeed have some sort of contract.

I am really looking forward to these phones once the price dropped considerably. No way I spend more than 300 € on a phone

16 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

That's probably the harsh reality of the smartphone market. Less and less people are buying phones as often as before and they're increasing prices in an effort to maintain profitability on a product that is decreasing in terms of volume.

There is a point where it doesn't really work out.

Indeed and it also helps Huawei's success. Huawei is very price competitive. Some industry people consider their growth to be spearheaded by their competitors' skyrocketing prices.

I keep finding their phones on sale. It's quite an aggressive strategy. I can pick up a Mate 20 Pro for 640€. The S10E costs 770€ for reference. 

23 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Taller screens (19:9 rather than 18.5:9)

so persons asking why linus and other youtubers are making wider videos.. there is your answer , sort of 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

22 hours ago, xewp said:

finally finger print sensor returns to the front of the phone

i liked the one at the back ?

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

15 hours ago, 79wjd said:

You either did and you didn't know you did or you bought it at a discount. The Galaxy s2 was $600 for the 16gb variant iirc. The only way it was less was when you were on a carrier subsidized plan (which was virtually everyone in the US pre-2015~) or bought it at a discount.

Here are the Swedish prices on launch day for each device. Please note that prices may vary depending on country. If you want the rough equivelience in USD then subtract 25% (because of VAT) and then remove one 0 (1 USD is about 9 SEK, but things are more expensive in Sweden in general so counting it as 10 is about right).

Galaxy S 8GB - 5500 SEK

Galaxy S II 16GB - 4800 SEK

Galaxy S III 16GB - 5700 SEK

Galaxy S 4 16GB - 5600 SEK

Galaxy S5 16GB - 5900 SEK

Galaxy S6 32GB - 6800 SEK

Galaxy S7 32GB - 6800 SEK

Galaxy S8 64GB - 7900 SEK

Galaxy S9 64GB - 8500 SEK

Galaxy S9e 128GB - 8500 SEK

Galaxy S9 128GB - 10,000 SEK

But keep in mind that prices of these phones have dropped A LOT just a few months after release. I bought my Galaxy SII something like a month after release, and by that time it had dropped down to somewhere around 4500 SEK, and the store I bought it from had a special offer for around 4200 SEK.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:54 AM, LAwLz said:

S10+ 12GB/1TB - 1599 USD/Euro

Is that pricing really right?

Checked Swedish preorder pricing and it's about 1 399USD (17 490 SEK with 25% tax included)

Edit: That price includes the Galaxy Buds

2 minutes ago, Kroon said:

Is that pricing really right?

Checked Swedish preorder pricing and it's about 1 399USD (17 490 SEK with 25% tax included) 

Prices varies from region to region.

The prices I listed there are Samsung's suggested prices.

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

yep. still expendable 

Up to 1.5TB total if i'm not mistaking, right?

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

Only that's not actually true.

Someone brought up those device cost breakdown pieces in an Apple fiscal results call... and yeah, Tim Cook tore them a new one.  Not only is the base part cost wrong, but it doesn't include other factors in the cost of a device, like patent licensing, R&D, shipping... basically, it's a lot more expensive.  Look to the gross margin a company typically makes on its phones and that will give you a hint of what the actual cost is.  There's a sizeable profit with phones like the S10, but it's not nearly that big! 

As if i give a fuck what tim cook says about defending the price of an iPhone of all fucking models lmfao.

They aren't actually spending the estimated BOM cost, like I explained about Samsung, even Apple has a fair amount of vertical integration and the biggest contracts and therefore the biggest volume discounts.

4 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Indeed and it also helps Huawei's success. Huawei is very price competitive. Some industry people consider their growth to be spearheaded by their competitors' skyrocketing prices.

I keep finding their phones on sale. It's quite an aggressive strategy. I can pick up a Mate 20 Pro for 640€. The S10E costs 770€ for reference. 

Sadly, only the Honor phones are good deals over here. The Mate 20Pro is almost as expensive as the Galaxy S10+ here.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1