[Suggestion] A thread explaining ban rules?

r2724r16

Can we have a thread explaining how bans/suspensions works?

For example, how many warning points you need for a suspension, how many for a permaban, what are some reasons for a permaban, etc.

I just feel that ban/suspension rules aren't transparent, and they could be more clear and well laid-out.

Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

image.png.a120e9a5bc9dcb87b7070a6c740d44a4.png

I understand they don't specifically state EXACTLY what consists of a ban or suspension, but follow the community standards and you won't have to worry about these things in the first place.

Pretty sure they don't want any moderation stuff to be public at all, since it's their discretion as to what is warning point/ban worthy at any time.

Otherwise you would have user argue "Why did I get a temp ban for X, while the requirements clearly state Y!!" as well as I think it would promote people being more 'risque'. 

Basically people thinking "oh, pff.. I only need like 4 warning points* to get a temp ban!"

Personally I don't see it happening , since the rules are laid out pretty clearly.

* I totally made this number up, no clue how the moderation works here.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

<snip>

Community Standards doesn't explain the ban/suspension rules though. 

Just now, Minibois said:

Otherwise you would have user argue "Why did I get a temp ban for X, while the requirements clearly state Y!!" as well as I think it would promote people being more 'risque'. 

I feared this would be a problem, but I guess it's up to the individual.

But I still feel that rules should be clearly stated, despite what people might do if they knew the specifics of how a ban/suspension works.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Bans are for people who are unaware, or unable to apply, common courtesy. I would have thought the rules were pretty well laid out by pretty much every person people like to call snowflakes (an example of insulting someone for their point of view). If they don't know the rules by the time they have learnt to write then I doubt they would care.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

1 minute ago, Geography said:

But I still feel that rules should be clearly stated, despite what people might do if they knew the specifics of how a ban/suspension works.

I wish they were a little more clear on how it works in terms of temp ban to perma ban. Have seen a lot of good members get banned here, while not knowing what happened exactly. It's against rules to inquire publicly about what happened; but it would be kinda of nice to know like "oh, they get temp banned x amount of times, that's why" or whatever.

But again, I feel like they don't post this stuff publicly, because they don't want people to just compare some numbers (like comparing the amount of temp bans, while not knowing the severity of the ban cases, for example and inadvertently judging a situation wrongly).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

the tl;dr really is simple:

Infractions will result in suspensions, repeated infractions or something so egregious that it's warranted, will result in a permanent ban

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

It is simple as explained a few times, but to simplify it potentially further by using different words:

"Be excellent to each other"  Bill and Ted

After that, its up to the moderators, the actions you have committed and whether they may personally dislike you.  This isn't a state run program that has rules and regulations.  Its just a forum owned by some bro's.  Don't piss off the bro's and bro'ettes and you should be good.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I mean Ive made it over 2000 posts without an infraction and I am sure I irritate people, piss people off, talk rudely sometimes, and argue.

I even one time had Linus himself quote me and tell me to chill, community standards etc.  I thought for SURE I was going to get me at least an infraction.  But I chilled and its coo' bro.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Perhaps something to the extent of "multiple or intentional infractions may lead to a ban" could be added to clear stuff up.

I think that'd catch all circumstances while giving moderators enough room for decision. Not all cases can be quantified under a concise guideline - there are too many ways things could go. An example would be a case of sarcasm between friends - from the outside, it may seem like an insult, but both know it's not

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I've often compared moderation on forums to real world policing/justice system. Now, this might vary between countries, but unless you are part of system some way, you don't know how much what offense will get after court. You have general point of view. Like first minor offense is slap on the wrist, second might get some time in jail. Or heavy offense to start is directly jail time. And so on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i imagine it's much like this

image.png.1d8724598485f0c14267c47d350a79b8.png

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Learning though conversations with mods. The warning point system has few defined variables. The number means almost nothing. It would seem there is a cap in terms of now many it takes to get some sort of punishment (I assume ban) but unless you hit that cap it doesn't matter how many you have the punishments are handed out manually independent of the number.

So you could have 5 warning points with no restrictions while the person next to your could have 5 but not be able to post status updates.

It's not a perfect system but who says it has to be so long as everyone behaves like they're suppose to.

20 hours ago, Geography said:

Community Standards doesn't explain the ban/suspension rules though.  

Follow the community standards and you won't get banned or suspended. It's that simple.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Follow the community standards and you won't get banned or suspended. It's that simple.

Exactly.

If you get banned, it is advised to contact the moderator(s) directly. It isn't anyone else's business as to why you think it's unfair you got banned.

Having a thread explaining why and how you can get banned is subjective depending on scenario. You can't expect the staff team to address every possible scenario just because someone can't read the Community Standards. They're standards for a reason. They're enforced.

There is no clear line or set rule.

It's a pretty arbitrary case-by-case basis.

You could be banned after 3 or after 30 warning points.

It completely depends on what you do, how often, what context, what mood the staff is in, what the weather is outside, etc.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 2/20/2019 at 5:10 PM, Minibois said:

Pretty sure they don't want any moderation stuff to be public at all, since it's their discretion as to what is warning point/ban worthy at any time.

Basically people thinking "oh, pff.. I only need like 4 warning points* to get a temp ban!"

Personally I don't see it happening , since the rules are laid out pretty clearly.

* I totally made this number up, no clue how the moderation works here.

thowback to when i had -3 warning points

i like trains 🙂

On 2/20/2019 at 11:05 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

I've often compared moderation on forums to real world policing/justice system. Now, this might vary between countries, but unless you are part of system some way, you don't know how much what offense will get after court. You have general point of view. Like first minor offense is slap on the wrist, second might get some time in jail. Or heavy offense to start is directly jail time. And so on.

Respectfully I disagree. In many countries like the US or UK in the justice system, you have a fairly good idea of how much what offense can get you even before court. And in those systems you even have the benefit of being able to see publicly available past examples of what unwanted behaviour, for lack of a better word, has resulted in what punishment.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:24 AM, Enderman said:

There is no clear line or set rule.

It's a pretty arbitrary case-by-case basis.

You could be banned after 3 or after 30 warning points.

It completely depends on what you do, how often, what context, what mood the staff is in, what the weather is outside, etc.

Unfortunately yes.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),