A rebuttal to Linus' take on Nvidia introducing multiple RTX 2060 SKUs

wildside50

In the most recent WAN show, Linus spent some time admonishing Nvidia for their many (possible) versions of the upcoming RTX 2060. 3GB, 4GB, 6GB?! GDDR5/6!? How is a consumer to understand!?

While I agree with Linus wholeheartedly that this is a marketing ploy and will make consumer decisions more difficult; how is that anything new? 

If I want to buy a Ford, I know what Ford is. If I want to buy a Ford Mustang, I know what a Ford Mustang is. Uh oh. Now what. I can get the Ford Mustang with a turbo-4? A 6 cylinder Mustang? How about this 8 cylinder? Sure it costs more but surely 8 is better than 6 or 4? What is a limited slip differential? What do you mean performance tires?

To wit; if one is a technological neophyte, does a Ryzen 3800X seem like something to wait for when an i7-9900K already exists? Heck, the only other option is a 2700X. That sounds way behind! What do all of these numbers really mean?

My point is; if you're going to focus on marketing inconsistencies, be consistent even outside of the tech industry (which itself is far from consistent). If you feel the graphics card market has become so obtuse even to you so as to be parsable, offer a market that is better served. CPU's make sense? Motherboards? Even RAM or SSDs?

not really, there is a fairly sizeable performance difference between GDDR5 and GDDR6 and his point is the average consumer ESPECIALLY a parent buying for there kid won't know the difference, you aren't talking different brands, you are talking within the same brand, to the point you have to look into the spec sheets to even be able to tell which ram is being used is pretty damn shady. to use your car anology this would be like using a 3.08 Open Diff vs a 3.42 posi, the average buyer won't know the difference unless someone teaches them where they screwed up buying the single wheel spinner 3.08 because you didn't know how to decode the vin tag in the glove box.

ALSO NOT TECH NEWS buddy, wrong section.

Neither of those examples are the same at all, the reason at lot of people get mad at this is that the customer is often not being told what they are actually buying. (or just unable to work it out) This is due to the same name having a wide range of performance between the models.

Bigger is better. Higher numbers sell better. Which is why they are sticking 8GB VRAM on GTX 1050 grade cards...

7 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

not really, there is a fairly sizeable performance difference between GDDR5 and GDDR6 and his point is the average consumer ESPECIALLY a parent buying for there kid won't know the difference, you aren't talking different brands, you are talking within the same brand, to the point you have to look into the spec sheets to even be able to tell which ram is being used is pretty damn shady. to use your car anology this would be like using a 3.08 Open Diff vs a 3.42 posi, the average buyer won't know the difference unless someone teaches them where they screwed up buying the single wheel spinner 3.08.

ALSO NOT TECH NEWS buddy, wrong section.

Isn't that my point? I have no idea what a 3.08 Open Diff vs a 3.42 posi means, but if I cared, I'd do the research. Not just look at "most HP"

15 minutes ago, wildside50 said:

Isn't that my point? I have no idea what a 3.08 Open Diff vs a 3.42 posi means, but if I cared, I'd do the research. Not just look at "most HP"

thats my point you didn't KNOW THAT YOU NEEDED TO KNOW!!!!! How are you gonna research something that you didn't know you needed to know about?

Also do you think parents buying for there kids are gonna know they need to get the right model? shit I told my mom I wanted the Soundtrack to the Lost World Jurassic Park for Christmas one year and she came back with the sound track to the Lost World (from many decades before).

when you have segmentation of this level is so far beyond the average persons knowledge that someone would have to tell them they need to read the specs to see which ram is being used in the first place on that specific model. it's not just 3 capacities, it's 3 capacities in 2 different types of memory all in packaging that will have the same RTX2060 branding, the average or potentially even the regular "hobbiest" that don't watch youtube shows like WAN Show and other tech news shows won't know they NEED to look, this is the same bullshit being repeated from the DDR4 GT1030's but in a more mainstream card, this kind of crap is getting worse every year. thats the fundamental issue her.

I get the big graphics with higher number for performance. I get the ATi 2600XT for my gaming Mac computer, higher than those nvidia cards!

Okay Daniel644. I respect that I didn't know what I needed to know. My bad.

Do I think parents buying for "there" (their) kids are well educated and know the value of their purchase? Yes. Yes I do.

Eh, that car analogy is flawed.

The reason is that cars most often have trim-level designations depending on the equipment and/or type of engine.

Like for the Ford Mustang, the one with the turbocharged I4 is known as the Mustang EcoBoost, while the one with the V8 is known as the Mustang GT 5.0 V8.

It definitely helps to do research regardless to ensure you're buying the proper product for your requirements, but a little designation does go a long way

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I'm with you D13H4RD. Life would be way easier if everyone capitulated and made things easier

1 hour ago, wildside50 said:

upcoming RTX 2060. 3GB, 4GB, 6GB?! GDDR5/6!

it offers the the card that suites your specific need!?

If you can look past my fault, we can continue this discussion

Wasn't expecting these kind of exciting news this early in the morning. 

If people have a problem with this it's because they don't know how to research a buy.  It doesn't matter how many options there are from one company, if a fool is going to take the word of thee salesperson and not look into it themselves then they are goingt o buy the wrong thing anyway.  The old saying goes "a fool and his money are soon parted".

This issue is not he number of SKU's, it's product misrepresentation either in the form of marketing or at the sales counter.  I don't want my choices limited because someone thinks their parents don't know when to seek further information.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If people have a problem with this it's because they don't know how to research a buy.  It doesn't matter how many options there are from one company, if a fool is going to take the word of thee salesperson and not look into it themselves then they are goingt o buy the wrong thing anyway.  The old saying goes "a fool and his money are soon parted".

This issue is not he number of SKU's, it's product misrepresentation either in the form of marketing or at the sales counter.  I don't want my choices limited because someone thinks their parents don't know when to seek further information.

Exactly. If I was worried that my step mom would buy exactly the right config, I wouldn't ask for a PC graphics card. I'd ask for an Xbox or PS4. 

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

AGAIN, IT'S NOT THAT WE DON'T KNOW HOW TO RESEARCH, IT'S THAT THE AVERAGE PERSON WON'T KNOW THEY NEED TO RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

AGAIN, IT'S NOT THAT WE DON'T KNOW HOW TO RESEARCH, IT'S THAT THE AVERAGE PERSON WON'T KNOW THEY NEED TO RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!

If a person doesn't know they need to research a product but buy it anyway then they are a fool. period.   If you are that foolish that you think you can buy something as complex as a GPU without finding out what you need to know,  then there is no help for you, stop trying to protect fools from themselves.  

Edited by colonel_mortis

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Seriously people, all that's happened is Nvidia has given consumers a few more options.   Get a spine, stand up straight and stop expecting everyone else to protect you or your parents from bad decisions.   The world is full of choices and if you don't know what you are buying when the information is easily and readily available then that is your fault not anyone else's.

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

If a person doesn't know they need to research a product then they are a fool. period.   If you are that foolish that you think you can buy something as complex as a GPU without finding out what you need to know,  then there is no help for you, stop trying to protect fools from themselves.  

Daniel644, can you show an example of a consumer product in which there is a clear 'best' and as such no research is required?

Edited by wkdpaul

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

If a person doesn't know they need to research a product then they are a fool. period.   If you are that foolish that you think you can buy something as complex as a GPU without finding out what you need to know,  then there is no help for you, stop trying to protect fools from themselves.  

you obviously don't have a clue how clueless the average consumer is. Most people walk into a store and say, "oh look a $400 4k 55" TV, lets get that one because it's 4k, thats the good thing right?" most non-tech enough to join this forum type folks don't research beyond basic model variants like the OP's reference to which motor is under the hood and all that will tell them is whether they want a 2060, 2070, 2080 or 2080ti, once they get there they see 2060's with a huge price difference (or a minor one, we don't know the price difference), completely unaware that one card is gonna perform 10% better then the other one because of a spec buried somewhere in the specs sheet, you may call these people foolish, I call them THE AVERAGE CONSUMER, to say "to bad so sad your an idiot" is being an ASSHOLE, that's Linus's whole problem with this, he's worked in retail, he knows how uninformed the average consumer is.

Edited by wkdpaul

Just now, Daniel644 said:

you obviously don't have a clue how clueless the average consumer is. Most people walk into a store and say, "oh look a $400 4k 55" TV, lets get that one because it's 4k, thats the good thing right?" most non-tech enough to join this forum type folks don't research beyond basic model variants like the OP's reference to which motor is under the hood and all that will tell them is whether they want a 2060, 2070, 2080 or 2080ti, once they get there they see 2060's with a huge price difference (or a minor one, we don't know the price difference), completely unaware that one card is gonna perform 10% better then the other one because of a spec buried somewhere in the specs sheet, you may call these people foolish, I call them THE AVERAGE CONSUMER, to say "to bad so sad your an idiot" is being an ASSHOLE, that's Linus's whole problem with this, he's worked in retail, he knows how uninformed the average consumer is.

Making assumptions about what I know doesn't change the facts. If you don't know the difference between two products and your not inclined to find out then you are a fool.  That is no one else's job to fix but your own.    

Honestly you are carrying on like the company is forcing people to buy things they don't understand. If someone wants to buy a product cause one number on one box is bigger than another then they are fools, plain and simple.  You wont fix stupid by reducing choices. 

If you are that worried then educate consumers, don't reduce my choices because you worry about idiots who buy shit they don't understand.

23 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

You could argue that the average person knows to do research before purchasing a product. Look straight to YouTube, or random forums throughout the internet. There are videos for years worth of time that will discuss just about any product in any detail you could ask for. As for forums, there are threads on this very forum where someone "new" to computers, will come and ask for information about a product for themselves, a friend or family member.

Also, some people when they buy something don't care about any other aspects other than one or two features of the product they are looking at, and then choose to ignore everything else. 

As someone who has been in all sides of the computer industry, most issues arise when someone buys something because of being told the wrong information (look at sales people as an example), not because people get confused by the products on the shelf themselves.

I understand the angle you are coming from, but there are other viewpoints as well. I just want to give some food for thought. You seem to mean well and that's admirable. Anyways it's 02:30 (oh goodness, I'm going to randomly have a flat tire before work) here.

Just now, mr moose said:

Making assumptions about what I know doesn't change the facts. If you don't know the difference between two products and your not inclined to find out then you are a fool.  That is no one else's job to fix but your own.    

Honestly you are carrying on like the company is forcing people to buy things they don't understand. If someone wants to buy a product cause one number on one box is bigger than another then they are fools, plain and simple.  You wont fix stupid by reducing choices. 

If you are that worried then educate consumers, don't reduce my choices because you worry about idiots who buy shit they don't understand.

YOU STILL DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People won't realize there are 2 different products because they will see the RTX2060 and the memory amount and think thats it, HOW DO YOU NOT GET THIS????????

and I DO educate the people willing to listen, of which you appear not to be, so i'm done with you too.

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

YOU STILL DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People won't realize there are 2 different products because they will see the RTX2060 and the memory amount and think thats it, HOW DO YOU NOT GET THIS????????

and I DO educate the people willing to listen, of which you appear not to be, so i'm done with you too.

Using a lot of punctuation doesn't make you correct.

Yeah, what Nvidia is doing is stupid, but anyone who can do a minute's worth of research can figure out if a card has GDDR5 or GDDR6 pretty easily and the amount of memory it contains, especially if they're not lazy.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.