Game Awards 2018 Round Up

Master Disaster

The awards took place earlier today and since nobody else has bothered I'll post a round up of all the winners.

We'll start with announcements and there were plenty.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order coming to Switch in 2019

Journey To Savage Planet, beat em up by the team behind Batman Arkham Asylum

The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe coming to Consoles in 2019

Far Cry: New Dawn, post apocalyptic game set after the events of FC5 coming in 2019

Hades available right now from The Epic Launcher

Scavengers, new survival shooter game

Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fuelled launching 2019

The Outer World's, new RPG from Obsidian

Dauntless coming to PS4 & XB1 on April 19 with a Switch release after

The Last Campfire, new IP from Hello Games

Anthem Demo, just a renamed beta available to VIPs and pre orderers in January, everyone else in February

Atlas, fantasy MMO from the developers of Ark: Survival Evolved

Dragon Age 4, don't really need to say anything else

Mortal Kombat 11, surprise of the night

DMC5, demo available from December 7th

Microsoft bring back Xbox Arcade with Winters Of Arcade promotion

Rage 2 releases May 14th 2019

Joker from Persona 5 coming as free DLC to Smash Ultimate

Some Fortnite nonsense

New map for PUBG

Trailers and such are available at the source - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/game-awards-2018-news-dragon-age-4-mortal-kombat-1/1100-6463731/

And the results for the awards ceremony are as follows

Game of the Year

God of War (Sony Santa Monica / SIE

BestOngoing Game

Fortnite (Epic Games)

Best Game Direction

God of War (Sony Santa Monica / SIE)

Best Narrative

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games)

Best Art Direction

Return of the Obra Din (3909 LLC)

Best Score/Music

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Woody Jackson)

Best Audio Design

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games)

Best Performance

Roger Clark as Arthur Morgan, Red Dead Redemption 2

Games for Impact

Celeste (Matt Makes Games)

Best Independent Game

Celeste (Matt Makes Games)

Best Mobile Game

Florence (Mountains / Annapurna Interactive)

Best VR/AR Game

ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission (SIE Japan Studio / SIE)

Best Action Game

Dead Cells (Motion Twin)

Best Action-Adventure Game

God of War (Sony Santa Monica / SIE)

Best Role-Playing Game

Monster Hunter: World (Capcom)

Best Fighting Game

Dragon Ball FighterZ (Arc System Works / Bandai Namco Entertainment)

Best Family Game

Overcooked 2 (Ghost Town Games / Team 17)

Best Strategy Game

Into the Breach (Subset Games)

Best Sports/Racing Game

Forza Horizon 4 (Playground Games / Turn 10 Studios / Microsoft Studios)

Best Multiplayer Game

Fortnite (Epic Games)

Best Debut Indie Game

The Messenger (Sabotage Studio)

Best Esports Game

Overwatch

Best Esports Player

Dominique “SonicFox” McLean (Echo Fox)

Content Creator of the Year

Ninja

https://wccftech.com/the-game-awards-2018-winners/

Interesting that Spiderman won nothing. I wasn't impressed by it when I played it, it just felt like a poor man's Arkham City to me.

Thoughts and opinions?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

red dead deserves every award it got. i haven't played it (don't own a console) but i've watched Markiplier play it, so i've seen a lot of it already. 

Overwatch being the best E-Sports game is also deserved in my opinion. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

red dead deserves every award it got. i haven't played it (don't own a console) but i've watched Markiplier play it, so i've seen a lot of it already. 

Overwatch being the best E-Sports game is also deserved in my opinion. 

Would have been better if it got "just one more score" though.....

I'll see myself out :D

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Snip

I actually kind of agree with you and I think the industry realises this is the case too hence why they use the event to do so many announcements. Gotta keep those viewers interested somehow.

Being about 6 months after E3, it's a good place to drop trailers/announcements for games coming in the first half of the year. Plus build hype for some at E3 next year. This works for both the companies to advertise and the Show itself, so it always has content. Win-Win for everyone. Though, after watching most of the trailers, who picked that song for MK11? That did not fit the trailer they were going for.

I think The Outer World's trailer looks to be the best revel trailer. Though I imagine Psychonauts 2 is going to be the biggest talking point coming from these.

Glad RD2 got the recognition it deserves, some of the best voice acting out of any game for a long time IMO, the trailer for Mortal Kombat is pretty awesome as well!

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

18 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Being about 6 months after E3, it's a good place to drop trailers/announcements for games coming in the first half of the year. Plus build hype for some at E3 next year. This works for both the companies to advertise and the Show itself, so it always has content. Win-Win for everyone. Though, after watching most of the trailers, who picked that song for MK11? That did not fit the trailer they were going for.

I think The Outer World's trailer looks to be the best revel trailer. Though I imagine Psychonauts 2 is going to be the biggest talking point coming from these.

I actually haven't watched any of them yet, gonna go take my dogs for a walk then waste an hour or 2 watching trailers before work this afternoon.

I never really liked these awards from different sites and stuff.. Because they are so subjective and often has a great deal of money involved (Gamespot had a big scandal about being paid to give certain review scores if you remember that and it actually got the honest reviewer fired)

Calling Monster Hunter: World a RPG is just... Hack and slash open world grind has nothing to do with RPG in my opinion. But again its all subjective. I am not suprised to see Fortnite because that is what their avg viewer plays (Teens) But I would never touch it. I am well beyond 30, but still have younger siblings living at home, some of them are teens and they absolutely love Fortnite.

No offense to people that like the games listed btw. My picks would most likely bore most younger audiences, so I get why they push the agendas on certain games.

Monster Hunter World winning RPG of the year was a huge sham imo. Sure it's a decent game but many of the runner up games were more deserving as they were actual RPGs and good games at that.

Also that political jab by that one Esport player was extremely out of place and absolute cringe.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Monster Hunter World is not RPG, change my mind.

Regarding new games announcement, the only title that piqued my interest was DMC 5, but I was already aware of it before the event

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 hour ago, Phentos said:

Monster Hunter World winning RPG of the year was a huge sham imo. Sure it's a decent game but many of the runner up games were more deserving as they were actual RPGs and good games at that.

Also that political jab by that one Esport player was extremely out of place and absolute cringe.

Tbh when you exclude half the isometric RPG's and other better action rpg's (should be a genre for it self) then you know what audience they target.. I am still abit shocked to see MHW winning best RPG.. a hack and slash grind game that had a pretty rough user review.. Something smells like money.

An exclusive game is GOTY....

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Guys it's wccftech, take what you're reading with a heaving mountain of salt /s

I'm not surprised GOW won GOTY, and RDR2 won a lot of smaller stuff, but what I care about are the announced games, namely

The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe coming to Consoles in 2019 (Could have sworn this was already available?) as I hope the Deluxe version becomes available for PC as a free upgrade. I'm still trying to get the "Dont play this game for five years" achievment, which since this game came out in 2013 is now actually obtainable by people (I gotta wait like another three years i think)

Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fuelled launching 2019

Dauntless coming to PS4 & XB1 on April 19 with a Switch release after (Also thought this was already a console game?) Otherwise I dont really care since I'd play it on PC anyways

New map for PUBG (Yes I still play this game)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, Quadriplegic said:

Monster Hunter World is not RPG, change my mind.

It has stat increases as you get further in the game through armours and weapons

you gain abilities through armours

you can build your own character

It's dark souls, just better and older

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Not sure if it's just me but even though I got notifications about this from multiple places, I couldn't bring myself to give a fuck about them. Keighley forever ruined the concept of videogame awards for me.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

It has stat increases as you get further in the game through armours and weapons

I mean, technically this is correct. But I still find it curious that what we considered a shooter 10 years ago would be considered an RPG by those exact same standards today: Call of Duty games.

Maybe it's just me but I came up from a time when RPGs had 300 page manuals (BG II) and maps the size of England (Daggerfall).

This seems like calling "coffee" to a bit of water you're drinking out of a coffee mug that you didn't properly rinse.

-------

Current Rig

-------

20 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Any genre can have stats, abilities, and character-building, though.

Dark Souls isn't an RPG, either.

The "role" part of role-playing game refers to the player's unique thought and actions being necessary for the game's narrative to shape and manifest. RPGs present the player with information, and then it's up to the player to think about and choose what to do with it, with the game-world being receptive to different unannounced actions and reacting to them in a manner that shapes the story.

Action-Adventure games frequently use Quest Markers and / or Quest Directives to tell the player what to do, and then the player just obeys the prescribed directives, thereby preempting the player role-playing aspect.

I haven't checked out Monster Hunter world to know what type of game it is, but Skyrim, Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Odyssey are examples of Action-Adventure games.

An inventory system, stats, character creation, open world... those things may or may not be in an RPG, and they also may or may not be in a FPS or Action-Adventure game.

Marketing Action-Adventure games as RPGs has been a popular industry tactic for a long time. People get drawn into the RPG label, and publishers want to make more money. So, they just lie and call non-RPG games RPGs to make them sound bigger.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

52 minutes ago, Sahl said:

Tbh when you exclude half the isometric RPG's and other better action rpg's (should be a genre for it self) then you know what audience they target.. I am still abit shocked to see MHW winning best RPG.. a hack and slash grind game that had a pretty rough user review.. Something smells like money.

I would have given it to Pillars among their runner-ups, even if I'm a massive fan of the MH series, World is just too easy from what I got used to.

Personally: I'm undecided between Thronebreaker and CrossCode

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

5 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The "role" part of role-playing game refers to the player's unique thought and actions being necessary for the game's narrative to shape and manifest. RPGs present the player with information, and then it's up to the player to think about and choose what to do with it. Action-Adventure games frequently use Quest Markers and / or Quest Directives to tell the player what to do, and then the player just does that thing.

In that case, I prefer to split them and have RPG and cRPG:

RPG for the

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

stats, abilities, and character-building, though.

in general

and cRPG for what you described above, a computer version of tabletop RPGs

16 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

In that case, I prefer to split them and have RPG and cRPG:

RPG for the

in general

and cRPG for what you described above, a computer version of tabletop RPGs

I think stats, abilities, and character-building have nothing to do with the genre - they're just elements that are present across lots of different genres. For example, tons of RPGs have no character creation, but have you play as a pre-defined character.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Nintendo did pretty poor this year.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

53 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

I would have given it to Pillars among their runner-ups, even if I'm a massive fan of the MH series, World is just too easy from what I got used to.

Personally: I'm undecided between Thronebreaker and CrossCode

That would have been a more obvious choice and an actual RPG

Lol, best sports/racing game is just a joke.

Like, how many good racing games did we get this year? 2?

FH4 and the crew 2, and neither are exactly great because both are mostly just a re-release of FH3 or the original the crew game.

Sports, that's an even bigger mess with their yearly releases that are P2W...

Oh well, sad to see the racing genre quite dead imo.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

literally who (will check out tho)

• Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Horizon 4 (Playground Games / Turn 10 Studios / Microsoft Studios)

It's good actually, really like the map. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide