Intel, Scythe and CRYORIG made official statements over Skylake's #bendgate

zMeul

SubstratDickenVergleich-pcgh.jpg

Intel's statement: http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-releases-statment-on-bent-skylake-cpus_175944

The design specifications and guidelines for the 6th Gen Intel Core processor using the LGA 1151 socket are unchanged from previous generations and are available for partners and 3rd party manufacturers. Intel can’t comment on 3rd party designs or their adherence to the recommended design specifications. For questions about a specific cooling product we must defer to the manufacturer.
Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-releases-statment-on-bent-skylake-cpus_175944#LUFsvSbU6I0Y1qY8.99

Scythe statement: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/support.html

Japanese cooling expert Scythe announces a change of the mounting system for Skylake / Socket 1151 on several coolers of its portfolio. All coolers are compatible with Skylake sockets in general, but bear the possibility of damage to CPU and motherboard in some cases where the PC is exposed to strong shocks (e.g. during shipping or relocation).This problem particularly involves only coolers which will mounted with the H.P.M.S. mounting system. To prevent this, the mounting pressure has been reduced by an adjustment of the screw set. Of course, Scythe is going to ship a the new set of screws to every customer completely free of charge! To apply for the free screw set, please send your request via e-mail to support@Scythe.com or use the contact form on our website.

CRYORIG's statement: https://www.techpowerup.com/218193/cryorig-posts-official-statement-regarding-skylake-pcb-conerns.html

We at CRYORIG have the following information and statement to make, regarding the recent news and discussion regarding damaged PCB's on Skylake CPU's, which many in the industry believe is caused by abnormal heatsink mounting pressure during transportation of the PC system. First of all we want to assure users of CRYORIG products that currently no CRYORIG heatsinks have displayed this problem, either through media reports, third party sales channels or internal testing. CRYORIG heatsinks are fully compatible with socket 1151 processors, and follow specifications set forth by CPU manufacturers. But as a note of precaution we suggest users to lay their PC system flat (with the heatsink in a vertical position) whenever they are transporting their PC system.

Based on the information and testing reports we currently have at hand, although CRYORIG's own products did not show this problem, we have derived the following suggestions and insight into the Skylake PCB damage problem. From our observation the cause of the bent/damaged PCB is caused by the combination of two factors.

• High mounting pressure from the CPU heatsink mounting system, with no flexibility in the system.
  • Increased directional force created by the weight of the heatsink and movement of the PC chassis.
In the cases that have been reported by media, it holds true that these issues have only been observed in "Pre-Built" systems. These systems have the heatsink installed before shipping, which are subjective to both point A+B. Thus if a heatsink already has high mounting pressure with no system of flexibility, heavy weight and is tossed around during shipping, then the force of the heatsink is possible to bend at the softest point. In this case the softest point is the Skylake PCB.

---

Intel is not at fault in this #bendgate, some integrators overtighten the CPU block and coupled with transportation, the CPU's PCB flexed and bent some of the LGA socket's pins
as far as I'm aware, all cases involved pre-built systems 

IMG_7045-pcgh.JPG

Kek

Glad this hasn't happened to anyone on the forums.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Not yet anyway, Skylake buddy, but #bendgate is coming.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

well I bought a 4690k instead of 6600k a month or so cause it was cheaper so I feel like a dodged a bullet, even though it was probably only a very few cases

If this is a new problem, then someone is lying here: Either intel changed the tolerances and didn't let anybody know of the cooler manufacturers have been ignoring the tolerances and didn't bother to measure to see if their previous practices of going over the tolerance would have an adverse effect.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If this is a new problem, then someone is lying here: Either intel changed the tolerances and didn't let anybody know of the cooler manufacturers have been ignoring the tolerances and didn't bother to measure to see if their previous practices of going over the tolerance would have an adverse effect.

Intel suggests a maximum weight of 500g for coolers, which most coolers exceed anyway.

http://www.intel.de/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/4th-gen-core-lga1150-socket-guide.pdf

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Intel suggests a maximum weight of 500g for coolers, which most coolers exceed anyway.

http://www.intel.de/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/4th-gen-core-lga1150-socket-guide.pdf

If that was the only issue then why 1155 and 1150 didn't have the issue? Although I am more inclined to think that the issue was there before but now some outlets picked it up unlike in the past.

But let's assume it was never an issue before: It means that even if it's within their recommended specs intel should have told manufacturers than adhering to that tolerance now was a lot more important: Intel could have said 500g but knew that say up to 800g was risky but relatively ok vs now anything slightly above 500g is not ok at all. Technically intel didn't change their tolerance number but in reality, they knew it would be a problem since they know what vendors are doing and how much are thy're going over the tolerances. Just an overall shitty attitude if that turns out to be the case.

-------

Current Rig

-------

a couple of statements wont fix the issue .... its still there.... intel is making the chips .... so its their responsibility to fix the issue .... by not making chips that can bend.... all intel is doing is...... blaming someone else instead of fixing it themselves....

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

a couple of statements wont fix the issue .... its still there.... intel is making the chips .... so its their responsibility to fix the issue .... by not making chips that can bend.... all intel is doing is...... blaming someone else instead of fixing it themselves....

HAHAHAHA, even though this problem only shows up during transportation... No, the cooler makers need to adhere to standards, and consumers need to wise up. It's not Intel's fault that OEM partners are playing outside of its rule book.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Why did they change to a thinner PCB?

Cost savings.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Can we please stop with all this #___gate stuff? Thanks. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

#shamegate

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

They used a substrate of the same thickness right back to the Pentium III, and right up to Haswell (not sure about Broadwell, and including all mobile CPU) and there were no issues with the CPU substrate bending until Skylake, ergo Intel is at fault for skimping on their CPU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I think we should use #gategate for fighting against the #____gate stuff. :P

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

They used a substrate of the same thickness right back to the Pentium III, and right up to Haswell (not sure about Broadwell, and including all mobile CPU) and there were no issues with the CPU substrate bending until Skylake, ergo Intel is at fault for skimping on their CPU.

Nah, i am still gonna blame the guy that used an electric screwdriver to tighten his CPU cooler. Skylake has been out for several months now, and we have seen NO reports of bending until now. The ones we see, are from pre-built companies and incompetent system builders.

Why does this matter? Incompetent system builders using electric screwdrivers should never have their word taken as Gospel for one. For two, the systems built by pre-built companies are more often than not, completely rushed. It's the holiday season, they are most likely rushing to get orders out, and are probably not taking the proper pre-cautions to avoid this kind of bending. Maybe they are not tightening the Heatsinks correctly before shipping them out, causing uneven excess weight on one side over the other. You want to see what a Pre-built rushed PC looks like? Take a look at my friend's, who actually paid IBuyPower for cable management: 

93teCB0.jpg

My Pentium G4400 is just as thin as the rest of the Skylake SKU's, and it has not bent yet. I also take it everywhere (It's in an Azza Z ITX case, and i just got home from a 5 hour drive from West Virginia). It has not bent in the slightest yet. I have to believe user error is the cause of this. We would have seen something far sooner if something else was the cause.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Its not surprising that all cases were reported with pre-built PCs, which depending on the maker, can have horrendous build quality. This was probably a result of a employee (who didnt know any better) being told to "tighten it until it stops"

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

And omitting the stock cooler from skylake was for cost reduction....

Not necessarily.  It is also possible that the specs are fine, but that people got used to exceeding them with the more robust Haswell CPUs.

In other words, the margin for error has just gotten smaller.