Intel’s 7th Generation Kaby Lake and 200-Series Chipset Platform Detailed – Compatible With LGA 1151

Mr_Troll

Intel’s 7th Generation Kaby Lake Platform – 200-Series Chipset, LGA 1151 Compatibility Featuring Intel Optane Support

While we have previously detailed the full Kaby lake processor lineup which includes the H, S, U, Y series chips, this article will solely cover the desktop chips which will be launching later in 2016, as reported by Benchlife. It has been revealed that Kaby Lake processors will retain support on current generation motherboards with the LGA 1151 socket. The more surprising bit is that Intel is yet again offering users a new chipset in the form of the 200-series chipset that will launch along side the Kaby Lake processors. Just like the transition from Z87 to Z97, the new 200-series chipset will mostly remain the same but will include increased I/O performance that is very important for the platform to be ready for Intel’s next generation Optane storage products that use Intel’s 3D XPoint memory architecture. So the basic features of the 200-series chipset aside from supporting Kaby Lake-S processors will include up to 24 PCI-e 3.0 lanes (up from 20 on 100-Series Chipset), 6 SATA 3.0 and 10 USB 3.0 ports.

Intel-Kaby-Lake-Desktop-200-series-Chips

Another crucial feature of the new lineup is that not only will the Kaby Lake processors be compatible with the current 100-series motherboards but Skylake processors, available today, will also be compatible with the 200-series platform. This cross-generation support will be quite useful, not only for new users but also existing user base that may see the need to update to faster processors in the Kaby Lake-S lineup. Intel’s disruptive Optane SSDs and DIMMs will be a major feature set for the 200-series chipset as the faster storage solutions will not only result in responsive PCs but also better system utilization that is otherwise bottlenecked by conventional HDDs and even some older SSDs.

Intel-3D-XPoint-Technology-635x423.jpg

Intel Kaby Lake processors in general would be getting increased core performance (expect the usual 5-10% improvement) unless Intel plans to do something very different with Kaby Lake which seems highly unlikely. The processors will retain the basic features such for enthusiasts such as enhanced full range BCLK overclocking and 95W “Unlocked” options to choose from. While Intel has increased the core count on their enthusiast chip platform, things will remain the same on their mainstream platform with both dual and quad core (35W and 65W options) available to consumers along with the enthusiast quad core options. Other key features on the media and display side include 5K (30Hz) on one display and 5K (60Hz) dual display capabilities, HEVC 10-bit hardware decode, VP9 10-bit (hardware), UDH/4K display resolutions and support for Intel’s Thunderbolt gen3 support.

As for the specific SKUs, we will see Kaby Lake-S  (4+2) and Kaby Lake-S (2+2) SKUs. These chips will feature the GT2 graphics chip and feature integrated HDCP 2.2 support. There’s also a new Skylake 4+4e family planned for launch in 2016 which will be compatible with only KBL PCH-H (200 platform) which is surprising considering that Kaby Lake itself is compatible on both platforms while Skylake processors will require the newer platform for proper support. It kind of sounds like a repeat of the Broadwell-C series which was the only desktop chip launched in the Broadwell family that had GT4e iGPUs and vast eDRAM cache of 128 MB. For Kaby Lake, this eDRAM cache is increased from 128 MB to 256 MB and also offers several enhancements to the core GPU design structure to lift performance levels across the board. The Kaby Lake lineup is placed on a similar path like AMDs Zen which is expected to hit the markets in Q4 2016 and will pack vastly improvement IPC and performance over the company’s older Bulldozer core and its derivatives.

Intel-Kaby-Lake-Desktop-Platform-Overvie

They say increased core performance. So a next big performance increase since Sandy Bridge inc?. to bad its stil  far away. 

Source: http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-200-series-chipset-processor-platform/

https://benchlife.info/intel-kaby-lake-will-use-200-series-pch-11162015/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Now what about Cannonlake? :^)

i believe cannonlake got delayed into 2017.... Kaby Lake is still 14 nm.... CannonLake is 10 nm

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

For fuck's sake intel. I am still on sandy bridge. You just released skylake, everyone is like "OOH SHINY AND NEW" and then they are like "OOH SHINY UNRELEASED NEW CPUS" MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE

kinds like crapple's iphones

I hate when my post is four minutes late because I actually put effort into writing up some conclusions. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486023-rumor-kaby-lake-desktop-coming-q4-2016-24-pcie-30-lanes/

This is literally just copy pasta of the WCCF and then a sentence after that.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

For fuck's sake intel. I am still on sandy bridge. You just released skylake, everyone is like "OOH SHINY AND NEW" and then they are like "OOH SHINY UNRELEASED NEW CPUS" MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE

kinds like crapple's iphones

They did improve, a bit

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Yeah yeah, I don't care about Intel until they have a 6-core consumer product. Star Citizen claims 6 cores utilized, that's what I need. And I'm not buying into "extreme" (read: slightly less held back) edition ransomware. Motherboards and chipsets are static in my ears until the CPUs become interesting.

Zen will have at least a six-core part so that's what I'm gunning for, and that's how long Intel has to change my mind.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

He's still here... Go away, @LinusTech You scare me.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

ikr? What the hell happened? I was led to believe that Kaby Lake was 8th gen, not 7th.

Physics decided to be all like "NAH M8".

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

but what about my 3930k sandy bridge? It used is like the same price or less than a 6700k...

Wasn't a PC geek back then so I have no clue.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Now what about Cannonlake? :^)

Isn't Kaby Lake what used to be Cannonlake?

RIP Cannonlake

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

What I thought Kaby Lake is 6th gen

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Wait a second... where's the mention to AVX-512 for the mainstream?

Intel? Hello???? It was supposed to come with Skylake, and it didn't... now Kabby is not getting it either???

You jerks.....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

What I thought Kaby Lake is 6th gen

Skylake is.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Wait a second... where's the mention to AVX-512 for the mainstream?

Intel? Hello???? It was supposed to come with Skylake, and it didn't... now Kabby is not getting it either???

You jerks.....

1) absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

2) there's not even a game that uses AVX 256 yet. Don't get your panties in a wad. Intel provides for the needs of various market segments. Get on game developers for enforcing legacy support so much.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1) absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

2) there's not even a game that uses AVX 256 yet. Don't get your panties in a wad. Intel provides for the needs of various market segments. Get on game developers for enforcing legacy support so much.

1 - If they were to have better instruction sets, I'm pretty sure Intel would massively advertise that, as it is a big plus.

2 - You know, PCs have more uses than just "games".... ones that do use AVX 256, and would greately benefit from the 512 variant.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Skylake is.

Yeah Skylake is 6th gen, was using Xeons so I got confused

1230 v3 = Haswell

1230 v4 = Broadwell

1230 v5 = Skylake

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

but what about my 3930k sandy bridge? It used is like the same price or less than a 6700k...

That CPU still costs around 700€, if not more. The best price I found for it was 524€. Other places have it listed @650€ or 670€, and in some places it is 900+€. A 6700K is 360€ to 400€, It is 405€ here, and I live in Finland.

Not to mention the chipset for the 3930k lacking most features that other newer motherboards have, 3930k doesn't even have PCI-E 3.0, my old Z77 had that...

I upgraded to skylake pretty much immediately as my Z77 mobo was dying, and I could no longer get a replacement for such an old chip set. Either I would have had to pay 250+€ to stay on Z77, and get a motherboard that 1, wasn't a server board, 2, had PCI-E instead of PCI, 3, had even one Sata 3 for my SSD. Finding a mobo for a 3930k would prove even more difficult.

Other than that it has much higher TDP, lower clock speeds.... I didn't look into this much yet, but synthetic benchmarks suggest that the 6700K beats it in performance too.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3930K

I could try to find more sources 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

That CPU still costs around 700€, if not more. The best price I found for it was 524€. Other places have it listed @650€ or 670€, and in some places it is 900+€. A 6700K is 360€ to 400€, It is 405€ here, and I live in Finland. I upgraded to skylake pretty much immediately as my Z77 mobo was dying, and I could no longer get a replacement for such an old chip set. 

Not to mention the chipset for the 3930k lacking most features that other newer motherboards have, 3930k doesn't even have PCI-E 3.0, my old Z77 had that...

Other than that it has much higher TDP, lower clock speeds.... I didn't look into this much yet, but synthetic benchmarks suggest that the 6700K beats it in performance too.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3930K

I could try to find more sources

Interesting. I have wanted to trade my 6 core sandy bridge for a skylake i7 because I do not need the extra cores or heat...