DX12 will not end Mantle says AMD

HKZeroFive

"The arrival of DX12 is a huge deal for us and we are very, very positive about that," AMD gaming scientist Richard Huddy told PCR."The initiative we started with Mantle now sees a logical conclusion, where Microsoft is bringing its excellent API to market, so we’re pleased with that."

When asked what he means by a logical conclusion, and if DX12 spells the end of Mantle, Huddy responded: "The answer is no, but it’s not obvious why not.” Quite a few people have speculated that DX12 kills Mantle, but it doesn’t do that – and the reason is because that’s not what Mantle is about.

"When we invented Mantle, it’s because it solved a problem that games developers cared about. And that’s the really important emphasis there. If we’re able to use Mantle in the future to solve problems that games developers care about, then it’s obvious we should continue with Mantle.

"DX12 has arrived with Windows 10 and that’s all good, Mantle has achieved its aim - but of course, take it generically. For example, our Liquid VR is an SDK built for virtual reality but it solves a number of problems which are not pure graphics performance plays. And that’s built on Mantle, so Liquid VR, although we don’t talk about it, is actually a Mantle based driver.

He added: "If you ever use it as a consumer, you won’t know that you’re downloading Mantle, but of course the Mantle driver is integral to it. If you’re a developer then you probably would see that and you might indeed think about whether the Mantle API could help you with other stuff, in which case we’ll of course talk such a developer.

"But Mantle doesn’t die – it just finds itself solving different problems. We’ve nailed performance and power efficiency for pure graphics scenarios, but there are other things we are able to do with it. This single example of Liquid VR is a really strong one – problems we could not have solved without our own API."

post-237505-0-37023400-1438991105.jpg

I'd be interested what other 'different' applications Mantle could be useful for, but I'm willing to say many people will just go for DX12 anyway.

Sauce: http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/directx-12-does-not-spell-the-death-of-mantle-amd/036708

post-237505-0-37023400-1438991105.jpg

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

One thing Huddy does not mention is that anything AMD develops using Mantle can be easily adopted into Vulkan (at least for the foreseeable future). I doubt Vulkan has much of a chance against DX12, but its nice to see opportunity for constant innovation instead of waiting a decade for the next DirectX release.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Wonder if someone would be able to port DX12 games to mantle? If nothing else to just test DX12 in Win10 vs Mantle on 7/8 and see just how much performance is gained from the OS itself, if any.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Wonder if someone would be able to port DX12 games to mantle? If nothing else to just test DX12 in Win10 vs Mantle on 7/8 and see just how much performance is gained from the OS itself, if any.

Of course that's possible. Why wouldn't it be?

It's been said already but not sure how will go, I can see DirectX 12 be main simply cause it's well known and and widely used anyway.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

mantle: the most confusing API

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

One thing Huddy does not mention is that anything AMD develops using Mantle can be easily adopted into Vulkan (at least for the foreseeable future). I doubt Vulkan has much of a chance against DX12, but its nice to see opportunity for constant innovation instead of waiting a decade for the next DirectX release.

vulkan will be majorly popular..just not on windows

it will be used for linux and mac

this should actually increase those os's usefulness

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

You should probably get that checked out.

Yall should probably stop saying what I am going to say, before I murder someone :P

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

vulkan will be majorly popular..just not on windows

it will be used for linux and mac

this should actually increase those os's usefulness

Not to mention Android.

does it really matter. Mantle was only used in like 10 games anyways. It did work pretty well though and got me 15-25 fps boost in the games it was used in.

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

AMD always stated Mantle was invented to develop new tehcnologies and solve problems noone else had. They also stated, when DX12 came, and they handed over Mantle to Kronos Group, that they would continue to develop Mantle with their closest partners (probably DICE, Eidos, CryTek, etc). So none of this is really a surprise.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

If we’re able to use Mantle in the future to solve problems that games developers care about, then it’s obvious we should continue with Mantle.

What they're really saying is if Microsoft becomes stangnant in the future, they'll bring it back to push their buttons and force their hand.

I have no problem with AMD using Mantle as an experimental platform.

As long as it serves the end goal of uplifting the industry standards.

The way mantle v1.0 finally culminated into Vulkan was just beautiful and that's exactly the kinda thing I'm talking about.

AMD should cut the crap and put a lot of work into "vulkan" (what a shitty name) since that will be cross-platform api, and release it faster since DX12 is already here FFS we need vulkan faster else DX12 i going to gain ground and we will have another dead "OGL" that no one will use, or barely.

AMD should cut the crap and put a lot of work into "vulkan" (what a shitty name) since that will be cross-platform api, and release it faster since DX12 is already here FFS we need vulkan faster else DX12 i going to gain ground and we will have another dead "OGL" that no one will use, or barely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_(mythology)

Of course DX12 won't end Mantle, the utter lack of games that support Mantle, ended Mantle. :P

So now mantle is just leverage to get microsft to move it's ass.

Mantle was a marketing stunt from the very beginning, its sole purpose was to make AMD look good and win "street cred" with gamers. "Look broz we innovated the shiz out of APIs!" *thug pose*

When in reality Microsoft had been talking about wanting to implement lower level hardware access and reducing CPU overhead before there were even rumors of Mantle being a thing.

Of course DX12 won't end Mantle, the utter lack of games that support Mantle, ended Mantle. :P

Mantle was a marketing stunt from the very beginning, its sole purpose was to make AMD look good and win "street cred" with gamers. "Look broz we innovated the shiz out of APIs!" *thug pose*

When in reality Microsoft had been talking about wanting to implement lower level hardware access and reducing CPU overhead before there were even rumors of Mantle being a thing.

Wow the ignorance of this post... Here we go:

Did the lack of games that support Gameworks and Physx for more then 8 years ended it?

No. That NVIDIA program has been bleeding money to try to get the traction Mantle got in few months.

It's all about the tools that such brands use and their financial support. Simple. You are so oblivious to reality that it's known that AMD shared Mantle features with Microsoft...

The difference is that Mantle was a developers initiative, not a IHV one. Developers felt to need to change the way graphics APIs were working - and AMD told Frostbite and other devs "You can try it out on our hardware" - almost two years later the result of Mantle showed in Vulkan and DX12.

As long as AMD keeps the Mantle program a SANDBOX and PLAYGROUND for developers to try stuff the THEY WANT, not proprietary bloatware wich makes devs lose control of their product to earn easy marketing money, and if Mantle will keep influencing the market APIs like it did - I'm pretty sure they will keep it alive and well and surely will keep pushing the industry forward  :)

Mantel is a POS imho, DX11 beats it and jsut people hyped it so much and they were like DX12 adapted Mantle while it's probably the other way around and like did people ever hear of Glide ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Mantel is a POS imho, DX11 beats it and jsut people hyped it so much and they were like DX12 adapted Mantle while it's probably the other way around and like did people ever hear of Glide ?

Jesus, here we go... DX11 beats it in what scenario?

Everything points in the other direction, besides oficial partys claiming it, but also when you realize that Mantle was mainly backed up and developed by Frostbite (namely Johan Andersson).

Edit: So far it got in DX12 and Vulkan, already reached Android, http://android-developers.blogspot.pt/2015/08/low-overhead-rendering-with-vulkan.html not bad for a piece of shit uh?