Playready 3.0, HW DRM required for 4K

TheUzu

While strolling around looking for when exactly I can watch more than just Linus in 4K I stumbled along some recent news

Source:http://www.pcworld.com/article/2908089/all-about-playready-30-microsofts-secret-plan-to-lock-down-4k-movies-to-your-pc.html

Further Information: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/204319-windows-10s-playready-3-0-mandates-hardware-drm-for-4k-playback

It seems as if Microsoft in order to appease the almighty Hollywood has had to go off in the deep end, and have created HW DRM, and if you do not have the required HW  then your PC will be unable to play 4K content, your brand new $10,000 beast PC can it play Crysis in a 4K multi-monitor setup? Yes!, Watch a film?, No bro your going to need a chip for that... 

Buy a Windows 10 system with PlayReady, Microsoft says, and you’ll be able to view Hollywood’s latest movies in all their 4K glory. Without Microsoft’s hardware DRM technology—pay attention, those of you with older PCs—you may only be able to view a lower-quality version of the film

I can foresee this DRM holding up for a fair amount of time as it is HW but as all DRM before it (R.I.P HCDP) It will be broken and I find it utterly deplorable that in order to trust people not to copy the media that we have paid for we need a physical chip onboard and any PC old or new cannot play any of this 4K content.

The new hardware-based technology will know who you are, what rights your PC has, and won’t ever allow your PC to unlock the content so it can be ripped.

It conveniently has incentives to encourage migrating to Windows 10, as 4K will not work on an earlier OS.

People with older Windows 7 or Windows 8 hardware who upgrade to Windows 10 will still be able to rent, purchase, and stream movies, the Microsoft spokeswoman said. Microsoft is also working with the chip vendors to enable hardware content protection on “the widest range of devices possible,” she added. But while video services may work on older PCs, “there may be certain content (i.e. SD vs HD content) that the services will offer to devices that only support software content protection,” the Microsoft spokeswoman said.

It seems as if this must have been the only way Microsoft could convince Hollywood that the PC can be used to stream media without everyone uploading it onto a torrent site, all the while maliciously cackling and taking great joy in destroying their livelihoods. I mean why cant you just buy Sony's box that allows for you to watch their content in 4K, or X's studios box until you have a box for every content provider sitting under your TV, I mean that's reasonable they make the stuff you like so you need to support them.

In a sense, PlayReady is Microsoft’s attempt to convince Hollywood of the viability of the PC as a media streamer. “Microsoft appears to be future-proofing, evidenced by their proposed support for 8K video,” Glenn Hower,  a research analyst for Parks, said in an email. “As long as the burden is not terribly substantial beyond supporting 4K, and as long as their technology can adapt to handle high dynamic range and upgrades in color gamut support for ultra HD, I think they are playing smart.”

All things considered I can't blame Microsoft too much, as this was probably the only thing our mighty overlords would accept. Doesn't stop me for thinking what a crock of shit it is....

I suppose I will just wait here for another year until I can buy my PlayReady 3.0 motherboard or Graphics Card in order to watch stuff in 4K, oh such times we live in.

Looked into it abit more 

http://www.myce.com/news/microsofts-playready-3-0-drm-only-displays-4k-content-on-new-pcs-75892/

My two 4K displays are apparently useless for 4K Video £800 well spent....  Thanks David.

Older PCs and TVs that are not PlayReady 3.0 compatible are unable to playback DRM protected 4K video content. The reason is that PlayReady 3.0 DRM requires compatible hardware, therefore supporting it just in software isn’t sufficient.

4k-drm-hardware-drm-slide-100579489-orig

More recent anaysis: from ExtremeTech : http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/204319-windows-10s-playready-3-0-mandates-hardware-drm-for-4k-playback

Agree with them wholeheartedly seems like Microsoft by offering this cop out just gave Hollywood the option to lock down their content to such a degree in which it is only accessible on a Windows 10 PlayReady 3.0 system with whoever stays on previous versions left in the dust, and who knows If the tech will ever be on Linux and what exactly apple will do (I'd imagine their own version).

So bottom line is this less choice, less freedom and ultimately less content Hollywood you truly are stupid.

Windows 10 and the 4K gap

Let’s be clear: Microsoft isn’t requiring that movie studios use PlayReady 3.0 in order to display 4K content on Windows PCs. The pitch, rather, is that by providing a hardware DRM solution, movie studios will be more inclined to release high-resolution content and allow streaming to PCs and other 4K-capable Windows products.

If your PC is powerful enough to play back a 4K-encoded video under Windows 7, it’ll still be capable of doing so in Windows 10 — provided the file or stream doesn’t use PlayReady 3.0 in the first place. If it does, end-users may find themselves paying 4K prices, but only allowed to watch in 1080p, if at all. One slide above notes that HW-DRM “Cannot degrade video quality in GPU with HW robustness” implying that there’s no way to stream adegraded 4K stream, either.

Without knowing more about the roadmaps in question and the state of the underlying hardware from the four named vendors, we can’t predict how this will pan out for consumers. While it may not be an issue when Windows 10 ships, it could quickly become problematic for anyone who wants the freedom to watch their own legally purchased content — certain systems will fall below the supported gap and will have to be upgraded before they can handle the content.

Between Secure Boot changes and now this new hardware DRM requirement, Windows 10 is shaping up to be the most locked-down version of the operating system ever shipped. Microsoft may not be responsible for locking down the content, but the movie industry never met a user-hostile feature that it didn’t love.

Microsoft’s push to include new video quality options and better support for high-end content now looks more like a cynical attempt to grab user rights and leave Windows 8.1 users and below stuck at 1080p. We’ve reached out to multiple companies on this topic and will update this story if we hear back from them.

While strolling around looking for when exactly I can watch more than just Linus in 4K I stumbled along some recent news

Source: www.pcworld.com/article/2908089/all-about-playready-30-microsofts-secret-plan-to-lock-down-4k-movies-to-your-pc.html

It seems as if Microsoft in order to appease the almighty Hollywood has had to go off in the deep end, and have created HW DRM, and if you do not have the required HW  then your PC will be unable to play 4K content, your brand new $10,000 beast PC can it play Crysis in a 4K multi-monitor setup? Yes!, Watch a film?, No bro your going to need a chip for that... 

I can foresee this DRM holding up for a fair amount of time as it is HW but as all DRM before it (R.I.P HCDP) It will be broken and I find it utterly deplorable that in order to trust people not to copy the media that we have paid for we need a physical chip onboard and any PC old or new cannot play any of this 4K content.

It conveniently has incentives to encourage migrating to Windows 10, as 4K will not work on an earlier OS.

It seems as if this must have been the only way Microsoft could convince Hollywood that the PC can be used to stream media without everyone uploading it onto a torrent site, all the while maliciously cackling and taking great joy in destroying their livelihoods. I mean why cant you just buy Sony's box that allows for you to watch their content in 4K, or X's studios box until you have a box for every content provider sitting under your TV, I mean that's reasonable they make the stuff you like so you need to support them.

All things considered I can't blame Microsoft too much, as this was probably the only thing our mighty overlords would accept. Doesn't stop me for thinking what a crock of shit it is....

I suppose I will just wait here for another year until I can buy my PlayReady 3.0 motherboard or Graphics Card in order to watch stuff in 4K, oh such times we live in.

Hollywood, get fucked. Microsoft, don't fold to the geo blocking retards.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

your link is dead

if i can't watch my shit in 4k....legally...on my hardware, i will straight up pirate it....then aint non of those scumbags getting my money

your link is dead

if i can't watch my shit in 4k....legally...on my hardware, i will straight up pirate it....

Here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2908089/all-about-playready-30-microsofts-secret-plan-to-lock-down-4k-movies-to-your-pc.html

PMSL

your link is dead

if i can't watch my shit in 4k....legally...on my hardware, i will straight up pirate it....then aint non of those scumbags getting my money

Sorted it

Also with this DRM 4K will be un-piratable until it's broken eventually.

Looking at this, my ULR/LMC is going to have issues. It can play HD/4K videos, but I don't think it will be able to utilize this DRM at all-Pentium III's are a bit old now.

PMSL

Looking at this, my ULR/LMC is going to have issues. It can play HD/4K videos, but I don't think it will be able to utilize this DRM at all-Pentium III's are a bit old now.

Does your Pentium-III have a PlayReady 3.0 chip? No? Too bad you can watch in 1080p though, that is if however if the content providers don't decide to lock it down all together.

Does your Pentium-III have a PlayReady 3.0 chip? No? Too bad you can watch in 1080p though, that is if however if the content providers don't decide to lock it down all together.

1080p is my screens res anyway  :P . I upgraded at the start of 2014, after using an old LCD 1024x768 LCD TV/Monitor since 2003 (before that was a CRT monitor at the same res). And if they do lock it down, I'll be working on a way to help those who paid for the content (note paid not pirated) watch it at their desired resolution.

PMSL

Is that a joke or im too sleepy? theres always a way to record/crack/hack the video signal and then people will pirate it anyway on any systems.

Anyway DRM will never work,and most of the content is locked for most of the planet > people will pirate it anyways.

I dont watch movies anymore but just puting my thoughts out.

...can't people just screen cap with software? This seems relatively pointless.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Is that a joke or im too sleepy? theres always a way to record/crack/hack the video signal and then people will pirate it anyway on any systems.

Anyway DRM will never work,and most of the content is locked for most of the planet > people will pirate it anyways.

I dont watch movies anymore but just puting my thoughts out.

It may have to be on both sides of the system so a chip on the PC and one on the Monitor in which case my monitors are are obsolete already. 

And once again Hollywood automatically makes the pirates product better and fuck themselves out of sales, well played.

As I said, retards.

PMSL

I would imagine that they probably thought of that, I hope they haven't so I can essentially watch what I paid for on my Surface Pro 3.

And once again Hollywood automatically makes the pirates product better and fuck themselves out of sales, well played.

All they have done is made the content unavailable to 100% of current PC hardware, without the DRM we would have all not paid for it.

The thing that really pisses me off is how Piracy is their response to everything, it's our fault no blame is theirs...

A good example I have is I own every Series of Aqua Teen Hunger Force on iTunes, their is a particular episode which has a Spaceship made out of penises the only version available is a heavily censored version and makes the episode unwatchable, am I justified in downloading an uncensored version of this? If not feel free to pursue it in my English court and enjoy being slammed into the ground.

INB4 Hollywood locks it only Windows/Mac PCs with PlayReady®©

Well is it possible to get the best Netflix 1080p stream quality on Linux? 

I don't know how Microsoft is licencing this so it could be a case of it being unable to work on Linux.

such are the lengths to get online VoD these days, can't believe hollywood is forcing ms to bend over this hard so they can distribute 4k content in their store and on any PC, since the source is claiming windows as a middle man in the whole distribution chain, this shit will be in every media player and device soon, microsoft might be making the tech, but this will be everywhere, apple, set top box, GPU's, tablets, consoles, etc at some point just like HDCP is with HDMI devices, speaking of which, HDCP got cracked, at some point this will to, the question should be how long will stay effective,

Well is it possible to get the best Netflix 1080p stream quality on Linux? 

I don't know how Microsoft is licencing this so it could be a case of it being unable to work on Linux.

you have to use chrome, otherwise no

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I thought the only way to get the best Netflix quality on PC you needed the Windows 8 app?

I thought the only way to get the best Netflix quality on PC you needed the Windows 8 app?

well i don't use netflix or any other VoD service expect youtube, but i know that the only way to get it on linux is with chrome due to html5 support, also how isn't the web version of those service ain't going to support 1080p? it would be very dumb tbh

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Time to raise the pirate flag TALLY'HOOOOOOOOOO

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

well i don't use netflix or any other VoD service expect youtube, but i know that the only way to get it on linux is with chrome due to html5 support, also how isn't the web version of those service ain't going to support 1080p? it would be very dumb tbh

Well as far as I know you can get 1080p Netflix on a browser but for their highest quality 1080p you need to use the Windows 8 app on PC.

Well as far as I know you can get 1080p Netflix on a browser but for their highest quality 1080p you need to use the Windows 8 app on PC.

that maybe be due to codec issues, there's so much a browser can do

I know for 100% that Windows 7 is locked to 720p Netflix, regardless of whether you use the Silverlight or HTML5 player.

So I'd assume linux is also locked to 720p.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the Windows 8 App doesn't give better 1080p quality than on browser, it just unlocks 1080p since netflix only does 720p on browsers.

I recall reading that netflix blocked screencapture  on its HTML5 player already

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/159960-netflix-switches-from-silverlight-to-html5-in-windows-8-1-reduces-cpu-usage-dramatically

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552