Playready 3.0, HW DRM required for 4K

TheUzu

I know for 100% that Windows 7 is locked to 720p Netflix, regardless of whether you use the Silverlight or HTML5 player.

So I'd assume linux is also locked to 720p.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the Windows 8 App doesn't give better 1080p, it just unlocks 1080p since netflix only does 720p on browsers.

I wonder who caused these restrictions..

Microsoft?

Content providers?

Or was it Netflix restricting it to make money through deals?

Hollywood, you're stupid. This will just encourage more and MORE people to pirate, if they really cared about piracy they shouldn't make shit decisions.

Okay then, if hollywood want's to be assholes about this, I could justt download whatever programs breaks it, and then just....download every 4k movie ever that requires this DRM!

Good job corporate assholes, you have driven me to a life of crime out of shear greed, thus negating you own existence.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Time to start learning linux... xD

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Remember how piracy is largely caused by the lack of easy access? Hollywood doesn't... They just make it harder to enjoy their content and still are surprised when piracy continues

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Whats gonna happen when this is cracked? Cuz with hdcp they kept changing codes or whatever to temporarly make ppl unable to copy it right? So new chip every time this thing is cracked? Making everything obsolete again? Or firmware which will be hacked/cracked in no time flat?

Damn... Lots of questions, im guessing this will last a month tops. Cuz new chips is not going to happen... So 1 hacked movie is all it will take to hack it forever. They really are idiots....

I have no signature

Linux is the solution.

But watching DVDs on Linux is illegal....

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

How can one actually block screen capture? I'd make the window playing the content inactive and hit Print Screen. Or snipping tool. Or puush. Or one can just use a hardware capture device.

I've said this before with HBO, but it needs to be said again.

Rational person: Your content is very sort after and people are doing their best to get, but some still have to resort to pirating. What is your solution?

(insert company name here) : Make it obscenely hard to get it so that they will have no other option than to pirate it!

ME: *facepalm*

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

- snip-

If you own a modern Intel processor then you already have hardware DRM in your computer. It's called Intel Insider. It's a good thing support for it hasn't caught on, but I am worried this new DRM from Microsoft will.

...can't people just screen cap with software? This seems relatively pointless.

Yes, but there is a tremendous amount of overhead and the quality doesn't end up being as good. It won't stop anyone from uploading an episode, but it stops them from uploading the episode at the same size and quality as if you streamed it.

INB4 Hollywood locks it only Windows/Mac PCs with PlayReady®©

Yeah don't bet on using GNU/Linux and watch stuff without DRM. All the videos protected by this will simply not play on anything not supporting this shitty DRM.

that maybe be due to codec issues, there's so much a browser can do

It's not because of codec issues since the higher quality 1080p version uses the same codec (H.264), just higher bit rate. Don't quote me on this but I think there is an extra layer of DRM on the higher quality versions, and not all things (like the browser version of NetFlix) supports it.

But watching DVDs on Linux is illegal....

I don't live in the US.

I don't live in the US.

Hmm, you're right. Me neither. I just wanted to bring up another stupid form of DRM.

If you own a modern Intel processor then you already have hardware DRM in your computer. It's called Intel Insider. It's a good thing support for it hasn't caught on, but I am worried this new DRM from Microsoft will.

Yes, but there is a tremendous amount of overhead and the quality doesn't end up being as good. It won't stop anyone from uploading an episode, but it stops them from uploading the episode at the same size and quality as if you streamed it.

Yeah don't bet on using GNU/Linux and watch stuff without DRM. All the videos protected by this will simply not play on anything not supporting this shitty DRM.

It's not because of codec issues since the higher quality 1080p version uses the same codec (H.264), just higher bit rate. Don't quote me on this but I think there is an extra layer of DRM on the higher quality versions, and not all things (like the browser version of NetFlix) supports it.

You know, this might lead to an anti trust case against Microsoft, because if Mac's don't get it along with Linux.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You know, this might lead to an anti trust case against Microsoft, because if Mac's don't get it along with Linux.....

I wouldn't bet on it. Silverlight was/is exclusive to Windows too but we never saw an antitrust case against Microsoft for it, and that was the entire reason why NetFlix didn't work on GNU/Linux before.

I wouldn't bet on it. Silverlight was/is exclusive to Windows too but we never saw an antitrust case against Microsoft for it, and that was the entire reason why NetFlix didn't work on GNU/Linux before.

That was sorted though. This adds absolutely nothing of use to the consumer, and could force people towards Microsoft for 4K and 2K streaming, possibly 1080p as well if they are being particular assholes. It might actually make Foxtel more of a viable alternative. (But then-fuck Telstra)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I know for 100% that Windows 7 is locked to 720p Netflix, regardless of whether you use the Silverlight or HTML5 player.

So I'd assume linux is also locked to 720p.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the Windows 8 App doesn't give better 1080p quality than on browser, it just unlocks 1080p since netflix only does 720p on browsers.

I recall reading that netflix blocked screencapture  on its HTML5 player already

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/159960-netflix-switches-from-silverlight-to-html5-in-windows-8-1-reduces-cpu-usage-dramatically

4K Video camera pointing at my 4K Screen.

Block that motherfuckers

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Block that motherfuckers

Can't imagine it being great quality...

I guess all of this MS DRM business is going to kill off 4k content from becoming as mainstream as HD.

if that's the case then I'm more than happy with HD content.

Block that motherfuckers

there's a way to implant invisible watermarks into video, which are very visible in the recording, so yes the motherfuckers can block that too sadly

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/7/8361475/prima-cinema-luxury-movie-watching-furious-7

third paragraph after the third picture, the part where it talks about the security features of that the device

if they could do it on that, they are definitely going to put that into the mainstream at some point

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I don't think I've paid for a film in years, takes seconds to type a film name into the searchbar on PirateBay and download it. Sad state of affairs when piracy is easier than paying for it.

Isn't this basically HDCP for 4K?  Not sure what the concern is.  It's unlikely that anyone with old hardware will have the desire for 4K content anyway.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Isn't this basically HDCP for 4K? Not sure what the concern is. It's unlikely that anyone with old hardware will have the desire for 4K content anyway.

I have 2 4K monitors if this has to be on the monitor I will not be able to watch 4K content, monitors are not something that is replaced every year generally.

And I've you've recently upgraded a media PC then your boned also.

I have 2 4K monitors if this has to be on the monitor I will not be able to watch 4K content, monitors are not something that is replaced every year generally.

And I've you've recently upgraded a media PC then your boned also.

The same is true for HDMI so how is this different?  I'm not saying DRM is good, but this is not new.  HDCP for HDMI has existed for some time now.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

The same is true for HDMI so how is this different?  I'm not saying DRM is good, but this is not new.  HDCP for HDMI has existed for some time now.

HDCP isn't required to be on your CPU,GPU, and display at such a level.......it's just integrated into DP, hdmi and DVI.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

there's a way to implant invisible watermarks into video, which are very visible in the recording, so yes the motherfuckers can block that too sadly

Lol, that actually doesn't surprise me that much tbh.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)