Playready 3.0, HW DRM required for 4K

TheUzu

HDCP isn't required to be on your CPU,GPU, and display at such a level.......it's just integrated into hdmi and DVI.

I don't think so.  Devices have to comply with HDCP to play the content.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I don't think so. Devices have to comply with HDCP to play the content.

HDCP is a software DRM isn't it so you could have rolled out HDCP with a driver update, this time round it is a physical chip so It is probably improbable that it can be updated.

My main issue with it is you can already get 4K media from other sources that don't have a insane HW DRM, and that in order for PC users to be trusted they needed to implement this before we can access any of the content.

Someone will crack it eventually. Then share how they have done. Then other people will start doing it. Hollywood will update there chip then it will get cracked again. Then shared out again.

Can you see the pattern here. Eventually Hollywood will give up on this idea as its not really doing what its intended to do and is that to stop people from viewing 4k content on PC without there chip installed.

Its a never ending battle.

You know what that means? That people are going to pirate every single movie they want to watch, if for no other reason that they can't physically play them otherwise. Great job ms and hollywood. I hope you learn the lesson when nobody -NOBODY- buys a single movie from you.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Someone will crack it eventually. Then share how they have done. Then other people will start doing it. Hollywood will update there chip then it will get cracked again. Then shared out again.

Can you see the pattern here. Eventually Hollywood will give up on this idea as its not really doing what its intended to do and is that to stop people from viewing 4k content on PC without there chip installed.

Its a never ending battle.

It will probably get cracked before it releases. DRM (even hardware drm) has never been an obstacle for pirates (those who know what they are doing at least), it has always only been an unnecessary pain in the ass for paying customers. Once one guy has ripped it, everybody instantly gets access to it. Except the industry hasn't learned anything in the last 20 years.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It will probably get cracked before it releases. DRM (even hardware drm) has never been an obstacle for pirates (those who know what they are doing at least), it has always only been an unnecessary pain in the ass for paying customers. Once one guy has ripped it, everybody instantly gets access to it. Except the industry hasn't learned anything in the last 20 years.

That's sounds quite similar to the telecommunications industry. 25 year old exchanges are 'too new to upgrade'.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That's sounds quite similar to the telecommunications industry. 25 year old exchanges are 'too new to upgrade'.

But at least they don't blame the customers for it...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But at least they don't blame the customers for it...

True, they just force people to pay more for wireless 3G.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yeah, no, screw this. It will flop.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Hmm, you're right. Me neither. I just wanted to bring up another stupid form of DRM.

Is it because its free so American bankers get upset that you are not helping the old capitalism machine ?

Well is it possible to get the best Netflix 1080p stream quality on Linux? 

I don't know how Microsoft is licencing this so it could be a case of it being unable to work on Linux.

I thought the only way to get the best Netflix quality on PC you needed the Windows 8 app?

I used a Ubuntu machine for a while and managed to get Netflix working just in Firefox.

However it required some in-depth installation of a community made version of Silverlight. Because Netflix uses Silverlight. 

-- That was 6 months ago, I'm now using Windows 8.1 Enterprise as it's also a couch gaming PC now. So I'm unsure if the solution I had will still work or not. - I guess it would depend on if the community version of Silverlight for Linux is up to date and still works.

Is it because its free so American bankers get upset that you are not helping the old capitalism machine ?

No, because it cracks encryption with brute force. Illegal under the DMCA

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

No, because it cracks encryption with brute force. Illegal under the DMCA

Ooh , with that in mind, some VLC plugin might also be illegal..isn't it?

Lol this is the basis of the plot in a book called something like "The Pirate Theatre". All hardware had DRM chips and it was a constant battle between the Pirates and the film industry. Once a chip was cracked all the hardware with that chip was useless to paying customers but pirates would get Titan X equivalent GPUs for pennies and use them to cut up movies and make parodies. It was a good book. The author has written a few books with one based on overreacting to a terrorist attack with tech savvy teens fighting back against their big brother government and the other where gold farmers in MMOs get fed up with being slaves and take out the economy in a game, causing big business to lose big money.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Here's a prediction. The hardware is going to have issues and paying customers will punished when it bugs while pirates wont care because they wont be required to use DRM.

Linux is the solution.

It's funny cause it actually isnt in this case.