Musk confirms Tesla will never make an undrivable car.

Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla Motors confirmed via twitter that the company has no plans to produce cars which can't be human-driven.

vnrkxr.png

qytmze.png

Links;

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/577946471804235776

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/577946893646364673

Based on the kinds of places I've been when high technology fails on me, I don't think I'd want to buy a car that couldn't be manually controlled in some way.

People suck at driving, thats just a fact. The best drives humanity has are those who race, who actually can react fast. 

Cars have been better than drivers for a decade IMO. People will always be the weakest link. We just suck. Especially a vast majority of the population that only commutes to work and doesn't care. People like that need to hand over the reigns to a computer that is more attentive than they ever will be. 

I'll stick with my gas guzzling, human driven, 4x4 truck. 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

I almost like Elon now. Almost.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Because yes

'Murrica

Murica indeed. Until a good looking eletric car is made that can go through a river without shorting out, gas and/or diesel is what I'll stick to.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

I'll stick with my gas guzzling, human driven, 4x4 truck. 

Is it named the Prius killer?

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

i get really nervous when driving because i feel like im going to die at any minute and isnt driving one of the most dangerous thing you can do

I have thought about putting these stickerss next to the tail pipe

Heh, 'Prius Repellent' is brilliant :D

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

People suck at driving, thats just a fact. The best drives humanity has are those who race, who actually can react fast. 

Cars have been better than drivers for a decade IMO. People will always be the weakest link. We just suck. Especially a vast majority of the population that only commutes to work and doesn't care. People like that need to hand over the reigns to a computer that is more attentive than they ever will be. 

To be honest, it's not just cars. Modern conveniences are making people lazier and lazier, contributing to the lack of basic skills. I can't even begin to count the number of people who can't do something as simple as reading a map. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

To be honest, it's not just cars. Modern conveniences are making people lazier and lazier, contributing to the lack of basic skills. I can't even begin to count the number of people who can't do something as simple as reading a map. 

I couldn't read a map properly until the geography lesson I was in that covered it.

Even then, I can only properly read certain kinds of maps.

I doubt that convenience makes anyone lazier, pretty much everyone does more stuff with the effort that got freed up by that convenience.

these techs are kind of double edge, its good side is that its more convenient and efficient

the bad side is when people become lazy and low quality

just look at the escalator vs stair

just look at the youngsters stuck with the smartphone and can't do shit if anything ever happen

I couldn't read a map properly until the geography lesson I was in that covered it.

Even then, I can only properly read certain kinds of maps.

I doubt that convenience makes anyone lazier, pretty much everyone does more stuff with the effort that got freed up by that convenience.

Except the bigger problem in these situations is that people get so used to the conveniences (by only learning how to use them), taking it away cripples them. Conveniences save time, which is fantastic, but not being able to function at ALL without them is starting to become more and more of a problem. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Why not just make cars kinda like i robot where you can manually override if you really want to and always keep the steering wheel. Google's way looks dumb and extremely dangerous without a wheel imo.

Why not just make cars kinda like i robot where you can manually override if you really want to and always keep the steering wheel. Google's way looks dumb and extremely dangerous without a wheel imo.

yep, its for safety too in case something happen to the auto-pilot, passenger can take over and drive normally

You should try driving in NJ. Some of the worst roads and drivers I've EVER come across. Our driving test is literally making a few turns in a parking lot and parallel parking between two cones. 

New tech does scare me a bit though....Most drivers are really just awful, and with the driver tech we have now (lane detection, etc...) I fear people will completely lose their already shitty driving ability.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Getting people away from the wheel is the best thing that can happen.
People don't know how to drive with millions of car accidents and around 30k deaths a year and that is only for the US.
I don't see that happening for at least another 30-50 years though as not only is the compute power missing but many laws have to change and we don't know how people will react to that.

RTX2070OC 

HELL no modern cars are not better than humans. The majority, yes, but definitely NOT outright. 

Every single traction control system or "stability control" system i've EVER come across (and i've driven my share of cars let me tell you) are fucking shite at actually regaining control of the vehicle. I'd even go so far as to say that some (few, but definitely some) are actually dangerous.

I was in my company's work ute and clipped a curb going round a roundabout, and made a tiny "chirp" as the wheel that hit the curb gained an insignificant bit of slip. The tracion control system shut down the throttle completely. People started honking, actually, as they wondered why i wasn't accelerating out of the roundabout. It took 10 whole seconds before I could move again. 

Now i'm sorry - but if you consider things like weight distriubution around a corner - suddenly lifting off of the throttle is FUCKING dangerous. This is exactly how you provoke oversteer and end up backwards over a cliff. weight lifts off of the rear wheels and takes grip away from them. I know this, because I get my front wheel drive ford focus sideways all the time (shhhh). 

I will never, ever have faith in a system that can only predict and not KNOW what is actually happening outside its limited data range.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

a lot of people are crazy drivers, i kind of wish all cars were computer operated

at least to some degree, cars should be programmed to not allow people to drive like complete assholes

HELL no modern cars are not better than humans. The majority, yes, but definitely NOT outright. 

Every single traction control system or "stability control" system i've EVER come across (and i've driven my share of cars let me tell you) are fucking shite at actually regaining control of the vehicle. I'd even go so far as to say that some (few, but definitely some) are actually dangerous.

I was in my company's work ute and clipped a curb going round a roundabout, and made a tiny "chirp" as the wheel that hit the curb gained an insignificant bit of slip. The tracion control system shut down the throttle completely. People started honking, actually, as they wondered why i wasn't accelerating out of the roundabout. It took 10 whole seconds before I could move again. 

Now i'm sorry - but if you consider things like weight distriubution around a corner - suddenly lifting off of the throttle is FUCKING dangerous. This is exactly how you provoke oversteer and end up backwards over a cliff. weight lifts off of the rear wheels and takes grip away from them. I know this, because I get my front wheel drive ford focus sideways all the time (shhhh). 

I will never, ever have faith in a system that can only predict and not KNOW what is actually happening outside its limited data range.

The thing with automated cars becoming the norm is intercommunication between cars. That is what we really need. All this other tech is limited to the single car like you said. Once they can communicate all of our current road signs and traffic lights could be removed and at intersections you would just need a little button for people to signal their intent to cross. Even better would be overpasses for people so they don't have to come near the cars, making it safer and allowing the cars to go faster.... The other thing is getting rid of personal cars altogether. Look and how much space we waste on parking. Have each city run a car sharing program that citizens pay into. It would work like that taxi service that you summon with an app except no human driver. Next is getting rid of semi drivers and using self driving trucks that can drive 24/7. I can't see any reason a company would want to keep human drivers after those are invented. I realize a crap ton of jobs would be lost but unless there are laws preventing this companies would love to take humans out from behind the wheel.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

You should try driving in NJ. Some of the worst roads and drivers I've EVER come across. Our driving test is literally making a few turns in a parking lot and parallel parking between two cones. 

New tech does scare me a bit though....Most drivers are really just awful, and with the driver tech we have now (lane detection, etc...) I fear people will completely lose their already shitty driving ability.

But New York man, people are taking stupid pills here, I swear! Go onto the College of Staten Island campus, the place is full of asshats and craters to the point where you would think it were the moon. NJ's definitely terrible as well.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Except the bigger problem in these situations is that people get so used to the conveniences (by only learning how to use them), taking it away cripples them. Conveniences save time, which is fantastic, but not being able to function at ALL without them is starting to become more and more of a problem. 

The same is true in programming. Compilers make programming go much faster, but you lose explicit control. Now, most programmers do not have the mental fortitude (not an insult. It's just that difficult) to beat modern compilers in optimization except in a couple cookie-cutter cases, the list of which is growing ever shorter ever since C++ brought lambdas into the fold. However, a human should always be able to beat a finite-rule compiler given enough time to analyze, code, and troubleshoot. But, is that time spent worth it vs. just using the 90% efficient code the compiler pops out? That depends on whether or not you are in HPC as a career. If not, the compiler is probably good enough.

I keep saying how great OpenMP is for multithreading literally anything and why every decent C++ programmer should be familiar with it and use it (with CilkPlus being icing on the cake for physics engines). Truthfully, the convenience of it will take away from potential performance if you spent the extra DAYS of hard-coding your thread management vs. the minutes to couple hours to just use OpenMP pragmas, but for consumer software this would already be many times better than what we have now. In fact, knowing Microsoft and Intel's close relationship, I'd bet half a million bucks there's OpenMP buried in DirectX 12 (Intel heads the standard at Khronos, but AMD can implement it and does (it's currently on 4.0 instead of 4.1, but that's negligible for all but the HPC space)) which is why the multithreading support jumped from almost none to a ton.

We need advanced tools which shorten the learning curve to get farther into many of today's fields of study, partly because there is so much more to learn now, but also because our lower level education has not kept pace to evolve and push harder sooner. All we can do is recognize we have those weaknesses and try to learn to compensate for them in what little spare time we have (at least until Google and MIT figure out that living to 500 thing which was mentioned a couple weeks back).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

But New York man, people are taking stupid pills here, I swear! Go onto the College of Staten Island campus, the place is full of asshats and craters to the point where you would think it were the moon. NJ's definitely terrible as well.

Meh, NY drivers are better than NJ drivers; you guys at least have passing roads (single lane roads with a dotted yellow line -- something which is very scarce in NJ).

Plus you guys actually have decent signage...so that's a nice plus. (Also taking the driver's test on an actual road...with other people...in a real world environment is another plus).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.