Musk confirms Tesla will never make an undrivable car.

You should try driving in NJ. Some of the worst roads and drivers I've EVER come across. Our driving test is literally making a few turns in a parking lot and parallel parking between two cones. 

New tech does scare me a bit though....Most drivers are really just awful, and with the driver tech we have now (lane detection, etc...) I fear people will completely lose their already shitty driving ability.

Hey, as an NJ driver who has never gotten a scratch (I do gently bump curbs though when parallel parking and correct, ending up very close to the curb and away from traffic) and never cut anyone off, I resent that statement. Also, Ohio drivers are much worse and won't even drive the speed limit while being crap drivers.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

self driven vehicles are a much more interesting concept if they all communicated in tandem with each other. I do like my 600rr though

People suck at driving, thats just a fact. The best drives humanity has are those who race, who actually can react fast. 

Cars have been better than drivers for a decade IMO. People will always be the weakest link. We just suck. Especially a vast majority of the population that only commutes to work and doesn't care. People like that need to hand over the reigns to a computer that is more attentive than they ever will be. 

Speak for yourself.

Or can you link me the study from which you get these "facts"?

The self driving thing has a way deeper layer then HUMANS VS MACHINES skills.

Driving is all about making yourself look as predictable as possible, and try to predict what others are doing - both with the aid of visual and sound signals, in the cars and in the roads.

The tricky part is the unpredictable, and how we/machines react to it.

In the face of adversity of this erratic and chaotic world, is the machine able to make the best decision? Is the machine completly aware of EVERYTHING? Is the machine able to choose between hitting a tree, a wall, or a human? What if one of the choices compromises the other?

Also... who defines what is the BEST DECISION?

This will, IMO, lift the ultimate problem - who will be responsible?

With humans it's easy: the driver.

With the machines, who will be facing the charges? Who will take responsability? The owner of the char? The car itself? The company who produced the car? The AI developers?

I'm 100% sure AI/self driving tech will augment our driving skills and the road safety, but replacing completly the driver stripping it out of responsabilities and supervision is a whole different thing.

People suck at driving, thats just a fact. The best drives humanity has are those who race, who actually can react fast. 

Cars have been better than drivers for a decade IMO. People will always be the weakest link. We just suck. Especially a vast majority of the population that only commutes to work and doesn't care. People like that need to hand over the reigns to a computer that is more attentive than they ever will be. 

Just put safety systems like Merc BAS and much more other technologies they have and make them super great and no one will ever do an accident by accident.

IDK why people are against not being able to drive their cars. A computer can make errors, yes, but it'll make a whole lot less errors than humans, especially if all/most cars are self-driving and are all networked. Plus, think of all the time you'll save because:

1. not driving leaves you to do whatever you want, from working to... other things.
  2. every car being networked means little/no car accidents, and since rubberneckers couldn't stop/slow down the car, there'd be no traffic jams even if there were accidents, which means emergency vehicles could get to you faster (ergo, making vehicular travel safer).

Also, it's not like you couldn't go somewhere where you weren't endangering other people's lives to drive if it's really something you get that much pleasure from.

As for hackers, the entire purpose of hacking is profit. I don't see how you can profit from hacking self-driving cars, so unless someone is really mentally unstable (in which case he/she would do something drastic anyway), nobody should bother to hack cars. Killing someone important is the only reason I can think of, and that can easily be done in other ways too (driving into them, mines, guns etc) without hacking, so that point is moot.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Um What, OP????? @popman

He did absolutely no such thing, in fact he said the polar opposite...

“Tesla is the leader in electric cars, and we’ll also be the leader in autonomous cars. If anyone is interested in working on autonomous cars, we’d love to have you at Tesla. It’s going to be the default thing and save a lot of lives,” Musk toldVentureBeat.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/18/elon-musk-self-driving-cars-ban-human-drivers

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

i get really nervous when driving because i feel like im going to die at any minute and isnt driving one of the most dangerous thing you can do

If you get that nervous, you honestly should not be driving - ever. You need to be completely confident in your abilities. Being nervous can put your own life in risk, and every other drivers near you. Not everyone is made for driving.

If you live in somewhere that means you must drive, then shit... You better practice and overcome those nerves man.

I almost like Elon now. Almost.

Why almost? Why would you not like him? I'm curious.

Um What, OP????? @popman

He did absolutely no such thing, in fact he said the polar opposite...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/18/elon-musk-self-driving-cars-ban-human-drivers

What Musk is saying is two things:

1. Yes, they'll make automated cars, but

2. Yes, you'll always be able to manually override the automation and drive manually (Unless forced by laws).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Why almost? Why would you not like him? I'm curious.

Just so i won't be too miffed if spaceX or the Hyperloop fail

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

What Musk is saying is two things:

1. Yes, they'll make automated cars, but

2. Yes, you'll always be able to manually override the automation and drive manually (Unless forced by laws).

But he said that manually driven cars will be outlawed. so your second point is not applicable.

Plus that makes the title of the thread misleading and incorrect.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Just so i won't be too miffed if spaceX or the Hyperloop fail

haha... fair enough :P Good reasons.

But he said that manually driven cars will be outlawed. so your second point is not applicable.

Plus that makes the title of the thread misleading and incorrect.

No, what he said is that some governments might eventually outlaw manually driven cars. He's saying that for as long as he's legally allowed to do so, Tesla will provide cars with a "manual driver" mode.

He can't possibly know for sure whether manually controlled cars will be outlawed or not, since car automation is still in its infancy. He's just covering his ass in case they do outlaw them.

The title is misleading though, I'll give you that. I would simply amend "as long as legally allowed" to the end of the title and then it's fine.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

haha... fair enough :P Good reasons.

No, what he said is that some governments might eventually outlaw manually driven cars. He's saying that for as long as he's legally allowed to do so, Tesla will provide cars with a "manual driver" mode.

He can't possibly know for sure whether manually controlled cars will be outlawed or not, since car automation is still in its infancy. He's just covering his ass in case they do outlaw them.

The title is misleading though, I'll give you that. I would simply amend "as long as legally allowed" to the end of the title and then it's fine.

The endpoint to his line of thought is obvious. 

If you follow his argument you have to arrive at the same conclusion. Manually driven cars will be outlawed. He admits that it may take 20+ years, but the outcome is pretty much a forgone conclusion. All of which I agree with.

It will happen a lot faster than most people think.

The endpoint to his line of thought is obvious. 

If you follow his argument you have to arrive at the same conclusion. Manually driven cars will be outlawed. He admits that it may take 20+ years, but the outcome is pretty much a forgone conclusion. All of which I agree with.

It will happen a lot faster than most people think.

I don't know. I think in Western Europe, it'll probably happen the fastest. In North America, it will likely take an extra decade for us to follow suit.

I don't know. I think in Western Europe, it'll probably happen the fastest. In North America, it will likely take an extra decade for us to follow suit.

I agree, I think you will see small segments and test done in the US first, but western Europe will likely be the first to completely adopt an autonomous car.

So doesn't this just mean that Tesla will just build computer driven cars that will also allow a human to drive them.

So doesn't this just mean that Tesla will just build computer driven cars that will also allow a human to drive them.

Yes, that's exactly what it means.

Wouldn't it just be plain boring not to drive your own car? Like seriously?

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Yes, that's exactly what it means.

Figured. It just seemed that everyone was thinking it was a him saying that they wouldn't do autonomous cars, which is not what I got from the quote.

Wouldn't it just be plain boring not to drive your own car? Like seriously?

Yes with a but. I don't really find it 'fun' in daily commutes in stop and go traffic. With proper implementation autonomous vehicles working together will be safer, more efficient and economical.

But I love driving

well I doubt they will make self driving motorbikes so I still have that to play with

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A Tesla capable of self drive and manual ape drive? Sign me up.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

I almost like Elon now. Almost.

what is bad about him ? 

There are still a TON of more mundane things that have to be accounted for before self-driving cars can actually become any kind of norm.  Simple things like how to handle parking lots, or suddenly seeing a store you forgot you wanted to stop at and its only 50 feet away.  There will also inevitably be situations like BOGUS mentioned, where the car will actually have to make a moral decision due to unforeseeable circumstances.  Who decides how the car should react in those situations?

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

I love driving, but can definitely benefit from a self driving car at times to relax on those long trips, cutting time to get there. It's just that even with some of our greatest technologies, that have so many safe guards, they still seem to fail somehow.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.