Google Play now has more apps than App Store!

ANUPLUCIFERGAMER

The Google Play and iTunes Stores play a big role in Android and iOS' success against competitors like Windows Store and the Amazon Appstore. 

The report noted, “In 2014, the number of apps distributed through Google Play has doubled.” The company also posted a graph, showing Google’s number of apps at just over 1,250k, while Apple came in at just below the same number. That said, all three of the stores made a huge jump from around 750k in the year before. 

Google may finally have beaten Apple in one of the key areas of mobile operating systems, the app store. According to a report by analytics service appFigures, Google Play finally has more apps than Apple’s App Store. The service looked at three app stores - the Play Store, the Apple App Store and the Amazon Appstore. The report said that last year, the number of apps in Google Play grew by over 50%. The respective app stores play a big role in Android and iOS’ popularity over its competitors. In fact, Microsoft’s Windows Phone OS has its biggest achilles heel in the fact that it doesn’t have enough 'big-name' apps in the Windows Store. Also, while the Google Play and iTunes Store are core apps in Android and iOS devices, Amazon's Appstore is preinstalled only on BlackBerry phones, while it is also available for Android devices. 

post-29727-0-36587500-1421672163.jpeg

post-29727-0-64613300-1421672177.jpeg

GooglePlay Master Race :D

Source: http://www.digit.in/mobile-phones/google-play-finally-has-more-apps-than-apples-app-store-25030.html

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

50% of those are jewel matching games . 

Yet king thinks they were first...

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

(Automatic color please)

That's pretty cool. It's probably because you can get apps in the Play Store a lot easier than in the App Store (From what I have heard).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

50% of those are jewel matching games . 

Yet king thinks they were first...

the other 50% is flashlights and calculators  :lol:  :lol:

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

the other 50% is flashlights and calculators  :lol:  :lol:

Lol I love the play store. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Yet I downloaded less apps on GPlay than App Store even though I had used my Android phones a lot longer than my iPod Touch. GPlay is not a good store. It is terrible at presentation and recommendation.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

(Automatic color please)

That's pretty cool. It's probably because you can get apps in the Play Store a lot easier than in the App Store (From what I have heard).

Indeed. To get an iOS app on the App Store, the developer has to acquire a licence which cots $99/year, and Apple has to review the app to see if they like it. On GPlay though, the dev pays $25 once and all apps just run a quick virus scan before being published.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

But Still iOS apps are more optimized, there's just too much bloatware on Google's play store.

The vast majority of stuff in the iOS app store is bloat and crap as well. A few years ago someone found that 2/3 of apps for iOS have not been downloaded even once. They also found that there were thousands of flashlight apps.

Personally I don't care how many apps there are. What I care about is how good the best apps are. In that area I think Android has the edge, at least for the categories I use.

I don't really care if it has more apps. If those apps are old, not updated, has poor performance, and difficult to use. It defeats the purpose.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

iOS still has better gaming

(besides emulators on android)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Its easy to put a shitty game with 3 pixels on play store... I would prefer quality comparison as quantity doesnt mean much.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

At least Apple checks each app for malware or bullshit. GooglePlay has $$$ apps that are just links, and half the apps have malware or pop ads that come up even when the app isn't open.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Yet the Google Play store is just rubbish and a lot of the time, the apps are far more polished on the iOS version and just run better. The interface is lacking and its poor, I sometimes feel bad for my dad trying to navigate it because its the opposite of user friendly. 

Android also lacks the one app I need, so I could never use it anyways. 

Difference is, as stated above, how many of those play store apps are malicious, steal your data, are copies of everything else or just do plain nothing (apple can't escape from the last one either). I would like to see a windows store comparison as well, as the amazon store isn't a good one to use, it's younger than WPS and has a lot less users generally (seen anyone actually using a fire phone yet? at least WP is relatively popular, there's about 10+ people in my year with one including myself)

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

at least WP is relatively popular, there's about 10+ people in my year with one including myself)

More like "there's about 10+ people on the entire campus" am I right?

Seriously though, WP is not popular.

Yay. iOS apps are trash.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

More like "there's about 10+ people on the entire campus" am I right?

Seriously though, WP is not popular.

Nope besides the year below me, who're almost all iPhone users, there's at least 5+ users each year over 7 year groups.

Most of us in 6th form who have them are using office on them, so have a good need for using WP. I find it's actually pretty popular with those who want an experience similar to iOS, with a bit more customisability, but also need really good work software and don't want to move over to google docs as they use MSO.

Personally, I can't wait to get a new android device, I'm just waiting for a good one to be released, but I get the use of WP and the steadily increasing popularity of it. Just last year alone, I saw 4 of my friends move to WP from iPhones and samsungs.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

nice, but how many of these are geniune working apps? friedn recently showed me infinity blade 2 being 13.8Kb in size.... yeah gg

edit:

also keep in mind that this also contains it's desktop/chromeOS based apps, not sure if this is the same for IOS/apple since has split stores for macbooks, imacs and their handheld device's.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I didn't realize whichever platform had the most aps makes the platform better.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I didn't realize whichever platform had the most aps makes the platform better.

That's what iOS used to measure how good a platform was back when they had the most...

Just saying.