Xbox One Designer Explains why the console is so big

sof006

The fuck are people complaining about, it's not even big? I can almost palm that thing get over it

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the PS4 seems to manage to keep higher resolutions and play better than the xbox one, while being cheaper and smaller.

And doesn't need an external power brick

Of course they made it big to keep it cool, because they don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Sony kind of has an advantage because it is a proper consumer electronics company with like 40-50 years' experience. Microsoft is a software company first and foremost.

Can he explain how gaming notebooks can feature an i7 and a 980M and be 1/2 the size?

because they feature a 1500$ pricetag and the RnD to go with it. XB has to sell for 350$ while being profitable with all the hardware in it. and if you can replace a fancy razer blade style cooling system that costs 100$ with a crude EVO like design that costs 5$, while keeping the size small enough to fit under a TV, you will do it.

I'm a child of the 80's, (born in the 70's) but developed in the 80's.  If it's bigger, it's better.  FULL STOP.

P.S how many engineers are there on LTT that can design and build a better console than MS?

Exactly 0 in this thread. I know one that, with a team and funds could probably do it, but hes not going to engage in this circlejerk of kids.

Of course they made it big to keep it cool, because they don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Sony kind of has an advantage because it is a proper consumer electronics company with like 40-50 years' experience. Microsoft is a software company first and foremost.

im not sure whether to facepalm or to facedesk at this comment... oh i know, ill just let you read this awesome post by my favorite news poster and cynic @Victorious Secret

Posted Today, 05:33 AM

GoodBytes, on 28 Nov 2014 - 02:59 AM, said:snapback.png

I don't get why people see it as "funny" or think there is another reason behind it.

Microsoft XBox team simply went and said: "We don't care what, we don't want the console to not face any overheating issue like the 360 did.", pretty much.

So they basically over-built the console. Sure a better heatsink/fan could have been put, but that cost more money, than a larger system with more vent holes.

RH00D, on 28 Nov 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:snapback.png

I swear sometimes LTT really does act like a bunch of 16 year old females in high school. Raving over who can come up with the most dirt on each others favourite devices or brands.

Microsoft likely gave it more than enough cooling/internal space in order to avoid the massive overheating issues they had with the 360 in its first couple of years. They also likely anticipated people putting the Xbox One into small TV stand / home theatre stand compartments which kill airflow and were a huge contributor to 360 overheating issues.

Looking inside the Xbox One you can see they clearly could have made it more compact if they really wanted to but why risk potential overheating issues? Besides, the Xbox One really is not that big. My roommate has one and by looking at it is not unreasonably big. Maybe we all forget how fat the PS3 was? Lets take a look. Last but not least there actually are people reporting overheating issues with the PS4: https://www.google.c...ps4 overheating

But I'll just let all of you armchair engineers continue on.

You both are spot on. 

MS made the One how it is for now because of heat concerns. They learned a VERY VALUABLE LESSON with the 360. Either have amazing cooling or a large enclosure, ideally the first one. Stifling components for design never really works out that well. 

MS knows where people shove these things. Into cabinets, shelves and stands that are cool air starved on the best of days. Guess where my One sits? Next to my Pioneer Elite receiver. That hunk of metal generates enough heat to sustain nuclear fusion for crying out loud, big things are big for a reason especially when it comes to home theatre equipment. 

But I abstain. The shameless and pathetic circle jerk with this forum is getting tiresome. If this is the idiotic audience the leaders of LMG want to cater to, hey, I've always got reddit for some maturity. Yes, reddit. That place encourages more reasonable discourse than here. Its pandering to the lowest common denominator here. That denominator is a bunch of 12 year olds with the reasoning capabilities of a dog who is chasing his tail. 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Its an AMD GPU and CPU for gods sake, it runs HECKA hot..... Well the Playstation uses the same, but has a smaller fan.... (Now you are going to make me to do a temp test on my XBOX 1 and PS4...)

It's an AMD tablet CPU.

AMD GPU under R9 290 are not actually that much hotter than Nvidia(before Maxwell).

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

It's an AMD tablet CPU.

AMD GPU under R9 290 are not actually that much hotter than Nvidia(before Maxwell).

and hawaii isnt all that much hotter than GK110, it all comes down to the cooler, and AMDs reference just wasnt made for Hawaii

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

im not sure whether to facepalm or to facedesk at this comment... oh i know, ill just let you read this awesome post by my favorite news poster and cynic @Victorious Secret

You're right. It was a stupid comment. I just have a negative bias toward Microsoft for reasons I'm not even sure I understand. I should learn to filter it better. They are certainly getting more likeable now that Ballmer has gone.

It was a problem solved world wide when they brought out the Elite model so overall it was far less then 50% as the Elite and later S and now what ever they call the latest version  have sold far far more then the ugly white release pro and arcade.

the elite version didn't fix anything its the same as the standard with black paint and a bigger hdd included, mine failed weeks after the 3 year warranty period to fix RRoD, at least i knew someone that for 15 bucks fix it, it literally overvolts the fans and turns the thing into a jet engine, which lasted enough so i can save to buy the s model, but really here is what really happened

2 years since the release of the 360 the cpu and gpu got a node shrink from 90nm to 65nm but that didn't help much with thermals, the console still RRoD though a bit less frequent, regardless it can happen, personally i blame the heatsink and fan, the literally tapped 2 80mm fans to something much worse that a 212, the s did fixed it because they change the cooling completely, they node shrinked to 45nm which allow them to slap the cpu and gpu in the same chip, the heatsink and fan where redesigned, something bigger that 80mm fan (maybe 120mm but i'm not sure on that) and was sitting on a somewhat decent heatsink, something similar to intel stock one included in mainstream chips, lastly they added a failsafe that shut down the console if it gets too hot, also the current version its called the E

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

And then I think of the Gigabyte Brix which has a lot more power and is really small. But then again, I've seen people in this very sub culture get massive Haf X cases and so on and only use a single GPU..all that massive wasted space. :T

And then I think of the Gigabyte Brix which has a lot more power and is really small. But then again, I've seen people in this very sub culture get massive Haf X cases and so on and only use a single GPU..all that massive wasted space. :T

Put the Gigabyte Brix in a tight enclosed, very limited vent environment such as a tight compartment, and you'll quickly notice how the Brix will overheat causing throttling, which the game console can't have, as it need to deliver consistent gaming experience, and also that cost more to implement, so you are pushing the Brix to the max, you will see how the Brix will not only be louder, but it will eventually break.

Its an AMD GPU and CPU for gods sake, it runs HECKA hot

Not sure if trolling or just stupid

Can he explain how gaming notebooks can feature an i7 and a 980M and be 1/2 the size?

Are you stuffing a laptop into cramped entertainment centers, next to other hot running components, potentially blocking off some of the vents, then expecting it to run for 6+ hours with zero problems?

Put the Gigabyte Brix in a tight enclosed, very limited vent environment such as a tight compartment, and you'll quickly notice how the Brix will overheat causing throttling, which the game console can't have, as it need to deliver consistent gaming experience, and also that cost more to implement, so you are pushing the Brix to the max, you will see how the Brix will not only be louder, but it will eventually break.

Hah, oh I know the Brix will be a tiny sized oven. I mean performance wise, what Gigabyte did was impressive. I personally don't think console size matters if it can fit and look like it belongs in a cabinet in the living room. It's not like it's the size of an old Atari.

Higher binning, more control over the usage environment, louder, and higher safe temps due to more software temp monitoring. Also, consoles must never be put into a situation which results in temp throttling, since that results in an inconsistent experience. If that happened, the only way around it would be for people to start making ridiculous things like "console coolers".

Microsoft are new to hardware development. Sony has been doing this for ages.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I swear sometimes LTT really does act like a bunch of 16 year old females in high school. Raving over who can come up with the most dirt on each others favourite devices or brands.

But I'll just let all of you armchair engineers continue on.

You both are spot on. 

MS made the One how it is for now because of heat concerns. They learned a VERY VALUABLE LESSON with the 360. Either have amazing cooling or a large enclosure, ideally the first one. Stifling components for design never really works out that well. 

MS knows where people shove these things. Into cabinets, shelves and stands that are cool air starved on the best of days. Guess where my One sits? Next to my Pioneer Elite receiver. That hunk of metal generates enough heat to sustain nuclear fusion for crying out loud, big things are big for a reason especially when it comes to home theatre equipment. 

But I abstain. The shameless and pathetic circle jerk with this forum is getting tiresome. If this is the idiotic audience the leaders of LMG want to cater to, hey, I've always got reddit for some maturity. Yes, reddit. That place encourages more reasonable discourse than here. Its pandering to the lowest common denominator here. That denominator is a bunch of 12 year olds with the reasoning capabilities of a dog who is chasing his tail. 

Pretty much this, Due to the average age of the forum it isn't surprising but I do wish we could have some discussion rather than herp derp ubisoft digging herp derp xbone herp derp apple suck ect.

From the looks of it is seems the finally managed to drive away builder too. The sheep mentality is just insane.

As someone who had a launch 360 this is a valuable improvement to me.Hell I had to redesign my receivers cabinet to allow better airflow into it. I wonder have the people commenting about the size had a look inside an audio receiver lots of free space for air.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Its a "bag of crisps/chips" design. U know, its big but content is small.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Well it's better to have the console be a bit on the big side than to end up like with the 360... How high was that failure rate again? Over 50%? Pretty sure a lot of them were linked to overheating as well so I can understand them being careful.

Why not just make it the size of a mid tower PC and allow users to upgrade/change their hardware?

Oh wait.....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

P.S how many engineers are there on LTT that can design and build a better console than MS?

I wager any engineer here would say that they understand why the One is a tank (look at MSs last two consoles, the middle one which had substantial heat issues) and why it might take a few revisions to get to PS4 levels of small. Sony on the other hand is a hardware giant, they've been doing this for years, they know a thing or two about packaging things into small form factors. You learn as you go. 

Then again, do most people here even have a high school education? I doubt it. Just a bunch of kids with little real world experience in either tech or tact; running their mouths and jumping on bandwagons "for the lols" while degrading the quality of content that does get posted. 

Pretty much this, Due to the average age of the forum it isn't surprising but I do wish we could have some discussion rather than herp derp ubisoft digging herp derp xbone herp derp apple suck ect.

From the looks of it is seems the finally managed to drive away builder too. The sheep mentality is just insane.

As someone who had a launch 360 this is a valuable improvement to me.Hell I had to redesign my receivers cabinet to allow better airflow into it. I wonder have the people commenting about the size had a look inside an audio receiver lots of free space for air.

The sad thing is, this is how kids are. Its not an insult, its just how they are. When you get older (and I don't mean turning 18) you get genuinely mature about things and have a more reasonable approach to everything. But said kids take everything seriously and live out these things like its religion. The shit posting and off topic crap that gets posted here is a great example of the mentality of most users. Theres maybe a dozen or so posters on this site and that actively post good things and encourage good discussion, everyone else is just pandering to the biggest level of idiocy they can sustain. 

Thats how it is here. People getting chased out for not following the herd and having a one track mind and then getting hounded on every post on every topic for any reason by the same group of bullies, people who probably get picked on in real life and think the appropriate response is to be class A douchebags on the internet. 

Microsoft are new to hardware development. Sony has been doing this for ages.

After the first generation PS3, sony learned a lot. This is Microsoft's first thermal mistake. It's not like they're using a coppermine P3 like in the first gen xbox. But I still think the PS4 is the better console. Shame both went with PC-based components and will soon be obsolete. In fact, they are. Kaveri was replaced with Richland, and that steamrolls Kaveri. 

But yeah. At least PS4 is done right.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

The sad thing is, this is how kids are. Its not an insult, its just how they are. When you get older (and I don't mean turning 18) you get genuinely mature about things and have a more reasonable approach to everything. But said kids take everything seriously and live out these things like its religion. The shit posting and off topic crap that gets posted here is a great example of the mentality of most users. Theres maybe a dozen or so posters on this site and that actively post good things and encourage good discussion, everyone else is just pandering to the biggest level of idiocy they can sustain. 

Thats how it is here. People getting chased out for not following the herd and having a one track mind and then getting hounded on every post on every topic for any reason by the same group of bullies, people who probably get picked on in real life and think the appropriate response is to be class A douchebags on the internet. 

Sadly the LMG helps provoke this kind of behavior. Just look at the video games section and look under consoles gaming and pc gaming. Also some of the things they say in some of their videos. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Sadly the LMG helps provoke this kind of behavior. Just look at the video games section and look under consoles gaming and pc gaming. Also some of the things they say in some of their videos. 

The sad part is I know Luke and Linus do it jokingly and don't take it seriously. Its all for a laugh and honestly, I get some lols out of it too. The downside is some people actually take them seriously and are doing to this site what the idiots did to PCMR. 

A while ago, PCMR was a great place for PC gaming content and discussion, with jokes on the side. Now its just repetitive shit post and DAE CONSOLRES R SHIT BUISOFT DUKS and everything else, because the idiots think its a safe haven when in reality they were just joking around. 

Pretending to be idiots is a recipe to draw idiots who live and breath the idiocy you were pretending to have. Its a real thing and its happening here. I unsubbed from PCMR over the summer cause of the crap and I'm awfully close to going straight to lurking here. What good is having any reasonable discussion when the same tired and stupid tropes get brought out on a daily basis? 

No, Xbox one is cheaper. There are 2 different versions of the xbox one, one with the kinect and one without.

$399.99 for the ps4 http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consoles/playstation-4-500gb-system-black-friday-bundle-with-grand-theft-auto-v-and-the-last-of-us-remastered/118074

$349.99 for the xbox one  ($329.99 on sale) http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/consoles/xbox-one-assassins-creed-unity-bundle/117548

We're posting Black Friday sale bundles as a way to show one console cheaper than another now?

Xbox One RRP is $399.99, PS4 RRP is $399.99.

The sad part is I know Luke and Linus do it jokingly and don't take it seriously. Its all for a laugh and honestly, I get some lols out of it too. The downside is some people actually take them seriously and are doing to this site what the idiots did to PCMR. 

A while ago, PCMR was a great place for PC gaming content and discussion, with jokes on the side. Now its just repetitive shit post and DAE CONSOLRES R SHIT BUISOFT DUKS and everything else, because the idiots think its a safe haven when in reality they were just joking around. 

Pretending to be idiots is a recipe to draw idiots who live and breath the idiocy you were pretending to have. Its a real thing and its happening here. I unsubbed from PCMR over the summer cause of the crap and I'm awfully close to going straight to lurking here. What good is having any reasonable discussion when the same tired and stupid tropes get brought out on a daily basis? 

PCMR Reddit is fucking cancerous. They discuss consoles more than they discuss PCs.

Like, do they actually play games? Or do they just sit around masturbating each other while moaning about other platforms?

I'm OK with it. I'd rather be able to run it wherever I want.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers