Shots fired! CNET's review of Alienware Alpha

WizardKing

I would hope that the console peasants would wake up, but sadly they won't. They are determined to make their purchasing decisions out of ignorance "I don't have time to build a PC!, I dont have time to make sure things are up to date, I don't have time to look up what kind of hardware I should need, etc".

They refuse to wake up and make responsible decisions, and the industry suffers as a result.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

While I do agree with EVERYTHING you both just said. I have to say something, as it turns out, we are the idiot peasants, we ALLOWED the game companies to DESTROY PC gaming because of consoles, WE get shitty ports that are unoptimized on high end hardware that could run those games at the very least double the framerate the consoles can and we didn't hang them for those actions!!! Unity is only one example of the major fuck ups that happened over the last few years! Locking framerates, silly textures, poor optimization, random frame drops and so on...

Let's clear things up. Consoles are not bad, PC's are not inherently better. Both have their advantages and disadvantages and personaly I game on a PC but that doesn't mean i don't see why a console could be better or I don't see why someoen would want to buy one.

While I do agree with EVERYTHING you both just said. I have to say something, as it turns out, we are the idiot peasants, we ALLOWED the game companies to DESTROY PC gaming because of consoles, WE get shitty ports that are unoptimized on high end hardware that could run those games at the very least double the framerate the consoles can and we didn't hang them for those actions!!! Unity is only one example of the major fuck ups that happened over the last few years! Locking framerates, silly textures, poor optimization, random frame drops and so on...

*cough*TotalBiscuit not being able to run AC:U*cough*

Honestly, I see so many shitty ports now instead of decent ports. I still don't see why they port it from the console to the PC version when it was originally developed and running on a PC. :|

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I would hope that the console peasants would wake up, but sadly they won't. They are determined to make their purchasing decisions out of ignorance "I don't have time to build a PC!, I dont have time to make sure things are up to date, I don't have time to look up what kind of hardware I should need, etc".

They refuse to wake up and make responsible decisions, and the industry suffers as a result.

Stop being a snob. People who use consoles aren't ignorant, they're simple. What you fail to understand is that most people don't give fuck about graphics, upgrading and frame rate. They just want to sit on their couch and enjoy games.

Let's clear things up. Consoles are not bad, PC's are not inherently better. Both have their advantages and disadvantages and personaly I game on a PC but that doesn't mean i don't see why a console could be better or I don't see why someoen would want to buy one.

Any other day on any other thread, sure. But here? You have a capable system similarly priced that's almost as living room capable so the entire point of this system is to blur that line and I think that this will suffer from a ) Being the first and B ) Some of us old time PC gamers having a (completely justified) strong bias against Dell and Alienware it still does it's job well which is refuting everything you just said: A gaming PC that is doing everything you could consider inherently better on consoles for only 20% or so more money down which, arguing steam has a big sale just aruond the corner means that factoring in games its way cheaper than any and all consoles.

-------

Current Rig

-------

CNET sucks and calling people who dare play on anything other than PC a "peasant" is starting to wear thin. If anything, it's reaching meme status and becoming very immature and frankly, obnoxious. Super Smash Bros and Pokemon alone destroys a good majority of the crap that makes it through Steam Greenlight, not to mention disappointing AAA titles like what Ubisoft is up to. Raw power only takes you so far. And this is coming from someone who only games on PC.

For me each platform has their advantages and disadvantages, but fucking companies *cough* Ubishit *cough* releasing crappy ports and fucking and MS that says they support PC gaming and do the opposite, drive us PC gamers nuts, these companies man just keep on digging.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Stop being a snob. People who use consoles aren't ignorant, they're simple. What you fail to understand is that most people don't give fuck about graphics, upgrading and frame rate. They just want to sit on their couch and enjoy games.

Yes they are a lot of them are ignorant and they are very ignorant kind of extreme fanboys, they ignore a lot of thing, but console have their advantages and disadvantages so does other platforms. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

This thread is basically the reason I hate tech forums, and especially this bullshit trash community (At least when this gets posted)

Take the PC Master Race bullshit and stick it where the sun doesn't shine

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

It was ment more tongue in cheek. I have owned many consoles before but there is no avoiding the fact that playing a game at a higher fps and better resolution gives a better experience. And not something I would substitute for "easy of use". The companies who are really making it difficult are all the ones that load prebuilt machines with bloatware and spout disinformation. If you buy/build a PC for use with a TV just put the basics on it, (Windows defender, which ever GPU companies software to keep it auto updated) and that is it. 

And for people who say that some people dont care about the graphics and they just want to sit on the sofa and play games, that is BS they just haven't experienced it.

Also for people complaining about the PCMR. Stop for a second and think it through. If you look at it from a social interaction side, it is the same as the school playground and being that most of the vocal people on the internet are teenagers this should be expected. But this has banned lots of people together and is more than likely helping fuel the PC gaming come back. 

Yes they are a lot of them are ignorant and they are very ignorant kind of extreme fanboys, they ignore a lot of thing, but console have their advantages and disadvantages so does other platforms.

Some aren't ignorant. You have to understand that some people started their whole gaming life in a console environment and simply just don't know. Some of my console friends just aren't educated about terms like fps, resolution, etc. The ignorant ones are the people that try to make the consoles something they're not by showing blind fanboyism and excessive bias.

Some aren't ignorant. You have to understand that some people started their whole gaming life in a console environment and simply just don't know. Some of my console friends just aren't educated about terms like fps, resolution, etc. The ignorant ones are the people that try to make the consoles something they're not by showing blind fanboyism and excessive bias.

Yep got your point, I forget to mention that and generalized *sorry* all console gamers but yeah I started my gaming on the PS1 and PS2 and I didn't learn anything about fps... until two years ago.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

what a load of crap seriously how elitist.  consoles have a lot going for them, for one the a mile easier, open box, plug in, turn on, insert game, play no drivers no building no installing clients just because you game does not mean you want to build a pc, online is so much better than on pc games are cheaper on pc(even in steam sales) when you factor in trade ins. just because you prefer PC dosnt make you better or worse of a person then some one who prefers console. 

Any other day on any other thread, sure. But here? You have a capable system similarly priced that's almost as living room capable so the entire point of this system is to blur that line and I think that this will suffer from a ) Being the first and B ) Some of us old time PC gamers having a (completely justified) strong bias against Dell and Alienware it still does it's job well which is refuting everything you just said: A gaming PC that is doing everything you could consider inherently better on consoles for only 20% or so more money down which, arguing steam has a big sale just aruond the corner means that factoring in games its way cheaper than any and all consoles.

I just dont see where this fits in? console gamers wont move from there platform, i mean all there frends will be there xbox live/psn is very appealing and fro the most part better than pc multiplayer those that try to play FPS vs pc players with a controller will be at a big disadvantage and its sill a pc....there is also the whole origin and uplay thing, i mean will the be supported? then there is pc games who would most probably think i could build a system with better specs or at least the same for the same price and mod it how i like

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Alienware crap wagon strikes again.. 

smh Dell please abandon this part of your company i beg you.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

I just dont see where this fits in? console gamers wont move from there platform, i mean all there frends will be there xbox live/psn is very appealing and fro the most part better than pc multiplayer those that try to play FPS vs pc players with a controller will be at a big disadvantage and its sill a pc....there is also the whole origin and uplay thing, i mean will the be supported? then there is pc games who would most probably think i could build a system with better specs or at least the same for the same price and mod it how i like

Wrong: Console gamers can also be hard pressed for money and hear about all the great cheap and free games on PC, which is by the way the biggest videogame market right now against all odds.

You just gotta stop thinking divisively and defensively: Microsoft and Sony want and even encourage petty arguments and rivalry to promote brand loyalty but they also subject console gamers to enough shit that they're willing to listen to reason. This device has the potential to speak very loud "There's a better way" But holding on to elitism and fights won't get you nothing. The "console peasants" thing should be an inside joke among PC gamers otherwise we should encourage and welcome console gamers.

Oh and yes this is a PC so you can install uplay and origin it will work ok. And yes you could offer your friends to go for a better build on a larger case if you want. But you won't have the marketing power Dell has behind this machine, that's whats important the ability to reach new customers, not the ability to be the best bang for the buck build.

-------

Current Rig

-------

*cough*TotalBiscuit not being able to run AC:U*cough*

Honestly, I see so many shitty ports now instead of decent ports. I still don't see why they port it from the console to the PC version when it was originally developed and running on a PC. :|

Exactly, TotalBiscuit raised some really good points, one of them that after watching several videos and reviews was and I quote:"The game is not even worth pirating!" And my god that one was just spot on!

Anger and disappointment do not even begin to describe the feelings I have towards Ubisoft. They RUINED one of my favorite franchises, it was one of my childhood games that lived on. Prince of Persia, then 3D PoP, then all the other parts and they made the last 2 suck so much and then Assassins creed was born, instead of releasing a new PoP they renamed it and created a MASTERPIECE! And then they maintained it for a few parts and it's now come down to a hateful, despicable game that I can't bare to even mention.

Ubisoft really just keeps on digging, they really are the cancer of the gaming industry!

Exactly, TotalBiscuit raised some really good points, one of them that after watching several videos and reviews was and I quote:"The game is not even worth pirating!" And my god that one was just spot on!

Anger and disappointment do not even begin to describe the feelings I have towards Ubisoft. They RUINED one of my favorite franchises, it was one of my childhood games that lived on. Prince of Persia, then 3D PoP, then all the other parts and they made the last 2 suck so much and then Assassins creed was born, instead of releasing a new PoP they renamed it and created a MASTERPIECE! And then they maintained it for a few parts and it's now come down to a hateful, despicable game that I can't bare to even mention.

Ubisoft really just keeps on digging, they really are the cancer of the gaming industry!

How was it on consoles thought? Either looking like shit, having worst performance issues or possibly both?

-------

Current Rig

-------

TotalBiscuit, one of the best people to search for a video that he made about a game. Even though some of has videos can get really long, I still think they're worth watching.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

How was it on consoles thought? Either looking like shit, having worst performance issues or possibly both?

Yes, same issues, random frame drops, BUT only in certain places, it's more consistent on consoles for obvious reasons. Also, they are forced to patch it out sooner on consoles (as we have witnessed before) and even after patching, we will get the worst of it, consoles will get back to their stable 30-60fps and enjoy the game, while we, we will get SOME performance fixes but never run it as it is supposed to run I can GUARANTEE IT. I can smell Ubi bullshit a mile away.

TotalBiscuit, one of the best people to search for a video that he made about a game. Even though some of has videos can get really long, I still think they're worth watching.

Exactly, I love hes videos as he really thinks them through, they are very objective, he pointed out some great things about the game (such as the design, the artist did do superb work). They are worth watching and I usually don't have the time to watch them so I end up watching them late in the evening when I'm at home! :D

but there is no avoiding the fact that playing a game at a higher fps and better resolution gives a better experience. And not something I would substitute for "easy of use".

To be fair, 'ease of use' is a selling point consoles lost a long time ago. They're even worse patch-hoarders, get games with bundled 'online passes', on-disc DLC and the consoles themselves are stuffed to the brim with crappy media-related bloatware that makes Apple Quicktime look compelling.

And the worst offender of all, the tiny tiny tiny HDD (mechanical no less) where if you own more than 10 games you're constantly micro-managing installed and uninstalled games.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

what a load of crap seriously how elitist.  consoles have a lot going for them, for one the a mile easier, open box, plug in, turn on, insert game, play no drivers no building no installing clients just because you game does not mean you want to build a pc, online is so much better than on pc games are cheaper on pc(even in steam sales) when you factor in trade ins. just because you prefer PC dosnt make you better or worse of a person then some one who prefers console. 

It's not snobbish when your lazy, bad decisions effect the rest of the industry. We have seen more and more Dev's handicapping PC gaming because the console makers don't want people to realize how shit their hardware is. You can do what you like, but be prepared to have your shit called out because you made a bad decision and are financially supporting bad (for the customers) business practices. Some of us actually give a shit about how well our games play, and are getting annoyed about having our experience handicapped so that you peasants don't realize how far behind you actually are. 

Consoles have 1 advantage over PC's. Simplicity, all you do is plug the fucking thing in, and somehow enjoy a shitty looking gaming experience with 8 year olds screaming over the voice chat. You can call me elitist all you want, but the fact remains that consoles are dying, albeit slowly.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I hate all the elitism on the forum. every. single. time. a. console. is. mentioned. 

yeah i drive a 2000 escort. does that mean i cant love cars? 

dad has a iphone 6+ and a ipad mini, why? because he wants the newest tech that just works. 

friend bought a ps4, why? because all she wants is something that can play games. 

then people that say PCs are in every way better, then the game that runs completly 100% fine on consoles crashes or stutters on pcs. yeah thats the companys fault, but as a consumer, a teenage girl isnt going to want to deal with that, or someone who just had to work a 10 hour shift. some people just want to put this disk in, and start playing. 

I personally would go though the extra struggle and steps to get the very most out of games, hell i probably spend more time looking at gaming hardware and fine tuning the game then actually playing. because thats what i enjoy. some people love wrenching on their cars, others couldnt change a tire. 

ON TOPIC: ill be honest i didn't read the article. if i had to guess it throttles because of the form factor? or just is crap? well its a first gen guys. its not going to be the best. think of the first ipod or google glass. expensive, didnt do much.