Google says the best phishing scams have a 45% success rate

Syntaxvgm

The most well made fake websites with the best URLs got up to 45% of visitor's data. Even the least successful still got 3% of visitor's data, which is still a lot. 

Form engadget 

Conceptually, phishing scams sound easy to see through: a fake webpage with the wrong URL that doesn't look quite right -- who's going to fall for that? Quite a few people, apparently. According to a new Google study, the most successful phishing websites will capture data from 45-percent of its visitors. The least successful scams only scored information from three percent of its visitors, but when crooks are sending out phishing emails by the millions, that still adds up. The study found that the majority of the hijackers operate out of China, the Ivory Coast, Malaysia, Nigeria and South Africa, and that they work quick: 20-percent of accounts were compromised within 30 minutes of having information phished.

Most hijacked accounts are used to continue the cycle: sending emails to account's contacts asking for bank transfers (under false pretenses, of course) or simply distributing links that might capture yet more accounts. The best way to protect yourself, Google says on its blog, are the old ways: enable 2-step verification on your accounts when possible and "stay vigilant" -- report messages asking for personal information to and never, ever reply to them.

This is really surprising to me. It's no wonder this stuff is so common. I would have low balled it to less than one percent if I had to guess. 

Better source:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/08/google-says-the-best-phishing-scams-have-a-45-percent-success-r/

original source: Huff Post (ugh)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/07/phishing-scams_n_6116988.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000046

The google study

http://services.google.com/fh/files/blogs/google_hijacking_study_2014.pdf

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

They're getting a lot smarter that's for sure. A friend of mine had his twitter account compromised, which sent out links to all his followers with a message like "haha I loved this article you wrote" and the link went back to a fake twitter asking you to sign in.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

steamchat2.png

lol yea steam bots. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm constantly seeing friends on facebook have their accounts "phished" when they post bullshit articles that are like "OMG LOOK AT ME! BUT YOU GOTTA LOG IN (again) TO SEE IT!!". Like, how dumb are you? You're already logged in to facebook, why need to log in again???

PC: i7-3770k, GTX 670, 16gb 1600mhz, SSDs only, Corsair K70, Razer Deathadder, Windows 10.

Xbone

I'm constantly seeing friends on facebook have their accounts "phished" when they post bullshit articles that are like "OMG LOOK AT ME! BUT YOU GOTTA LOG IN (again) TO SEE IT!!". Like, how dumb are you? You're already logged in to facebook, why need to log in again???

A caller to my local radio station had hit a deer ranted about the placement of deer crossing signs. Of course they have to cross somewhere she said, but why in such high traffic areas like highways? 

That stupid. 

muh specs 

All parts black

A caller to my local radio station had hit a deer ranted about the placement of deer crossing signs. Of course they have to cross somewhere she said, but why in such high traffic areas like highways? 

That stupid. 

Classic stupidity

PC: i7-3770k, GTX 670, 16gb 1600mhz, SSDs only, Corsair K70, Razer Deathadder, Windows 10.

Xbone

This doesn't surprise me at all, the reality is that no one is going to waste their time setting up phishing scams for no return.  Just like spam email, junk mail in your physical letterbox, huge 50% of sales, buy one get one free offers etc etc etc.  Nothings is free and everything we see frequently we see because it works.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

grey wall of text on grey background ftl. please fix.

Anyways, I'm not that surprised because a lot of people don't really pay attention to what they are browsing.

Classic stupidity

classic joke making fun of stupidity

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD