Plasma Televisions are going Extinct

Move over grandpa , it's 4K Era..

Just thought I'd point out: 4K resolution isn't the reason Plasma died out - the technology itself is more flawed than LCD or LED-backlit LCD. The benefits of plasma simply did not outweigh the negatives of the technology. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

@Tech_Dreamer you could've just put "Plasma TVs Are Going The Way of the Dinosaurs" as the thread title. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

OLED is really the spiritual successor to Plasma... I would have preferred Plasma stay around as an option for another year or two though, OLED just isn't quite in a position to fill Plasma's shoes just yet, in terms of rolling out mass production models.  Although, LG did recently announce their intention to really push OLED forward in the near future... I do wonder if this will mark the beginning (or near it) of a shift in focus to pushing OLED into the mainstream.  I'm curious to see what they'll have at CES 2015...

And it seems like a lot of the Plasma TV's get fairly toasty. So I'm okay with this.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

We've had our Pioneer plasma for about 6 years. Still top. Doesn't get hot at all. 

I am still very happy with my five year old 50" Panasonic plasma-tv. LCDs just look so washed out in comparison.

The original article also mentioned plasmas being more expensive. At least in Finland plasmas have been far cheaper than LCDs since at least 2009. When I got my plasma it was 500 euros cheaper than a comparable LCD (january 2010).

I liked plasma TV's, they served us well these past years. It is both intriguing and scary that technology is moving so fast... ish.... 

I'm hoping that OLED panels become the new thing. Maybe 4k OLED???? 

Anyways, isn't it a tad bit scary to hear that a TV uses plasma to produce colour and ultimately an image? The first time we bought a plasma, I was genuinely scared :S

I SOOOOO want an OLED screen in the future with high pixel density. OH YEA!!!!! I hope they will be also able to have high refresh rates and get variable refresh rates. OLED to me just looks SOOO AWESOME for what they could do.

It's kinda sad to see such great display technology go, but I can understand why. With OLED TVs starting to become available it was kind of expected that such a thing would happen. Heck, it would've been good if we could've had plasma computer displays that were power efficient. Imagine those deep, deep blacks and that contrast and no backlight bleeding. But I guess we'll hopefully see OLED computer monitors in the future. It would surely put an end to the backlight bleed issues found on most IPS, PLS and AHVA monitors.

There were a portion of LFD's that were plasma. LFD = Large Format Display

OLED is really the spiritual successor to Plasma... I would have preferred Plasma stay around as an option for another year or two though, OLED just isn't quite in a position to fill Plasma's shoes just yet, in terms of rolling out mass production models.  Although, LG did recently announce their intention to really push OLED forward in the near future... I do wonder if this will mark the beginning (or near it) of a shift in focus to pushing OLED into the mainstream.  I'm curious to see what they'll have at CES 2015...

Plasma hasnt really ben an option for at least two years in the US in my opinion. Once it feel out of mainstream and especially after development was stopped all that was available was cheap as dirt model of anything actually good you had to pay through the nose.

My local Walmart even carries primarily LED based TV's. A couple Plasma's but not many.

Anyone else seen the magical 55in 720p plasma's they have been selling on black friday for the past couple years?

Its about time. I never owned a plasma but my cousin did and that thing got very hot.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Plasma screens weren't dead yet? I haven't seen one in a store in a while.

My dad picked one up for cheap because of this type of thing :)

Nice article @Tech_Dreamer

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

My dad picked one up for cheap because of this type of thing :)

Nice article @Tech_Dreamer

It's kinda odd with Tech_Dreamer's username. You try to tag him and it only tags the "Tech" part inadvertently tagging the person you didn't intend on tagging. I think that this is a bug that needs to be fixed. It seems to happen on similar usernames as well. Don't know why. :unsure:

It's kinda odd with Tech_Dreamer's username. You try to tag him and it only tags the "Tech" part inadvertently tagging the person you didn't intend on tagging. I think that this is a bug that needs to be fixed. It seems to happen on similar usernames as well. Don't know why. :unsure:

In the quote it tagged the whole name O_o

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

In the quote it tagged the whole name O_o

Yes, that's because I fixed it. ;)

Yes, that's because I fixed it. ;)

ah, I see.

ah, I see.

You see, what happens when you type Tech Dreamer's name, it looks like this when quoted (excluding the "@" sign for this example):

['Tech']_Dreamer

When it should be doing this:

['Tech_Dreamer']

See the problem?

You see, what happens when you type Tech Dreamer's name, it looks like this when quoted (excluding the "@" sign for this example):

['Tech']_Dreamer

When it should be doing this:

['Tech_Dreamer']

See the problem?

kinda

kinda

So, you're not quite getting it? I can explain it better if you like.

My Kuro still mops the floor with a lot of current gen TVs, so I'm not even mad. 

Pioneer Kuro master race

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Pioneer Kuro master race

Best static contrast, best panel, best colour reproduction, best response time and refresh rates.

Damn, I am in the Master of Master Races over here.

Oh. It's all black. Watching at night is literally having a floating image almost. The bleeding is largely nonexistent. Cause it's so black.

They named it well.

Best static contrast, best panel, best colour reproduction, best response time and refresh rates.

Damn, I am in the Master of Master Races over here.

Oh. It's all black. Watching at night is literally having a floating image almost. The bleeding is largely nonexistent. Cause it's so black.

They named it well.

They did indeed  :D

My family has one in our "movie room" (basement, no lights at night.. so epic  :wub: ) 

I have a Pioneer Elite (don't know exact model name.. edit: Pro-111fd) in my room that I absolutely adore. But once my parents decide to get a new TV (dad is really digging curved 4k tvs), I'm definitely taking the Kuro for myself  :D

I mean seriously, look at it. 

kuro-comparison.jpg

If that doesn't make you want to cry for the loss of plasma, I don't know what will

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May