Plasma Televisions are going Extinct

They did indeed  :D

My family has one in our "movie room" (basement, no lights at night.. so epic  :wub: ) 

I have a Pioneer Elite (don't know exact model name.. edit: Pro-111fd) in my room that I absolutely adore. But once my parents decide to get a new TV (dad is really digging curved 4k tvs), I'm definitely taking the Kuro for myself  :D

I mean seriously, look at it. 

kuro-comparison.jpg

If that doesn't make you want to cry for the loss of plasma, I don't know what will

DAMN! i think not even CRT is gonna go that low for blacks.. #no pun

Details separate people.

DAMN! i think not even CRT is gonna go that low for blacks.. #no pun

Lol  :D nice one

Yeah, it's really sad to see plasmas go. :(  I think companies should have worked on making plasmas better instead of moving to something else that was inherently worse (LCD) and trying to make them better than technology we already had

Better yet, they should have kept plasmas for true enthusiasts who wanted the best picture they could get, even if it meant spending more money, and have LCD tv's for the "normal" consumers who would rather pay less on their energy bill versus having better black levels and whatnot.

Thinking about it, that's probably what they meant to do. I guess people just thought that LCD TVs were a superior (read: newer) technology and assumed it was better. The high price tag of high-end plasmas most likely didn't help much either

god, I'm making myself sad  :(  I'm gonna go watch a tv on my KURO to make myself feel better

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Plasma TV always felt like the HD DVD of the display world.

Edit: It also reminds me of when people praise *IPS monitors while dumping over VA when VA based panels had better blacks.

I have one at home. I love it. Craxy 600hz refresh rate. Too bad there is no way I can take advantage of it... 

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

This saddens me. I figured on this forum there would at least be appreciation for Quality tv's, not just gimmicky. Plasma's are by far the best picture you can get currently. OLED are so close and look better, but try getting one for under 4000. 

Plasma's had the best blacks, best colors, and were the most precise color representation. LEDS SUCK. i've had both.. both 60in. I cringe looking at the led. Neither were low end tv's {walmart} they were the upper end samsungs. Plasma destroyed the LED. 

I look forward to OLEDS, when this curved crap dissipates. 

We still have old PanasonicViera plasma at home though it is only HD ready. But it is rarely used these days. But damn.. Those colors!

An article from last year on reasons which attributed to the upcoming death of plasmas.

http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/hdtv/death-of-plasma-tv.html

Plasma TVs have obtained our top ranked picture quality ratings other than much more expensive new 4K or OLED TVs for the past 10 years in a row without exception. Granted, picture quality comparisons have gotten closer over the past couple years. Except for the very best LED TVs, Plasma Televisions have trounced LED and LCD TVs in black level, processing speed (Hz rate vs sub field drive on plasma), side angle viewing quality and contrast, and color saturation and rendition. Basically, all of the most important picture quality attributes.

For example, following is a write up of Panasonic's Demonstration room at CES 2014:

An all blacked out room demonstration of the “Studio Master Drive” feature showed what I was afraid of – Panasonic's plasma TVs of the past couple years are better than their new 4K LED TVs. The demonstration pitted the 2013 TC-P65ZT60 reference plasma against the new 2014 4K LED offering to show how the black levels and color saturation has improved in the 4K LED offerings. They also had a 4K LED from 2013 in the room for comparison.

While the new 4K offering beat last years 4K LED handily in both black saturation and color rendition (which showed light bleed in several areas of the screen), it did not beat the plasma. To my (very trained) eye, the TC-P65ZT60 beat the new 4K LED in black saturation, light bleed, color rendition and especially dark shadow detail. When I mentioned this to the Panasonic technician showing the display, he said, 'but it's getting closer.” OK, I'll give them that much...

I may have to look into getting another high end plasma in the coming months before stock is completely gone. At least try and pick through whatever models and old stock are left. I'll let it sit brand new in the box, because the thought of replacing my current plasma with the current/upcoming consumer led's makes me cringe.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Plasma TV always felt like the HD DVD of the display world.

Edit: It also reminds me of when people praise *IPS monitors while dumping over VA when VA based panels had better blacks.

But worse like everything else.

I have one at home. I love it. Craxy 600hz refresh rate. Too bad there is no way I can take advantage of it...

That's just marketing it ends up just being 60hz. Actually does anyone know if they support the proper 59.98?

This saddens me. I figured on this forum there would at least be appreciation for Quality tv's, not just gimmicky. Plasma's are by far the best picture you can get currently. OLED are so close and look better, but try getting one for under 4000.

Plasma's had the best blacks, best colors, and were the most precise color representation. LEDS SUCK. i've had both.. both 60in. I cringe looking at the led. Neither were low end tv's {walmart} they were the upper end samsungs. Plasma destroyed the LED.

I assume your referencing led backlighting not an actual led panel. If so then yes ccfl is better than led but causes the display to be thicker and more power hungry.

The only reason I have multiple "Samsung LED LCD Smart TVs" of various sizes over a plasma is I have a family and 3 small children aged between 1 and 8 so the burn in factor was a deal breaker. I can't say the power consumption was something I cared about when I bought them and I'd prefer the better color and darker blacks of a plasma, though I guess these stupid things being 1cm thick at the thickest point is kinda nice if i ever decided to wall mount them.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

i love my plasma, was the first TV i actually paid for with my money, still using it and loving it after 5 years

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

It May still have the curved crapness but

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/hd-televisions/lg/lg-55ec930t-55-full-hd-curved-oled-smart-tv/641910/

This is Australian $ too. They've come down a lot.

I didn't ever think anything would surpass the Kuro. But Panasonic took plasma out with a final boom with the VT an ZT series.

OLED looks good, Leagues away from LCD at this point, but still has a way to catch the Kuro or ZT60. When are manufacturers going to realise that brutal colour saturation is not the answer to everything.

I'm curious to see Panasonics A*800 series, They're making very bold claims..... (I'll believe it when I see it)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

That's just marketing it ends up just being 60hz. Actually does anyone know if they support the proper 59.98?

gaasp

LTT CSGO SERVER! IP 8.12.22.45!~  Connect by connecting on csgo console

Use console command "connect"   --->  connect 8.12.22.45

gaasp

hopefully that was not a ironic gasp.

My body is ready for an OLED TV at a good price point.

Even the brand new, expensive top of the line, to be released OLED TV's are still not as good as the top Plasma from 2013. It's a game of catch up that's been going on for the past 10 years, OLED is closer, but still not there. LED technology hasn't surpassed plasma yet, and now it no-longer has competition, possible stagnation with innovation incoming?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

well what I know is that plasma better than LCD in motion and speed stuff like hz and response time. I might be wrong.

but if that is the pros of plasma then the cons are less colors accuracy ( according to my eyes) so far I always found LCD Tv's have better colors and specially brightness levels with LED etc..

but this is all old . so these days LCDs are not slow anymore . specially look at monitors they got Gsync :) so maybe we will have something like that into Tv's

My body is ready for an OLED TV at a good price point.

I'm just worried about burn-in on OLED TV's. My Galaxy S 2 had very noticeable burn in after only 2 years. I am pretty sure my TV would have even longer on screen time than my phone had during the same number of years.

Having the PlayBoy logo forever burned into the corner of my TV would be a pain.

I'm just worried about burn-in on OLED TV's. My Galaxy S 2 had very noticeable burn in after only 2 years. I am pretty sure my TV would have even longer on screen time than my phone had during the same number of years.

Having the PlayBoy logo forever burned into the corner of my TV would be a pain.

The LG OLED at work had Burn in on the first day...

They'll eventually figure it out. I mean they eventually did with plasma.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Yeah, not sure about S2, but I've been hearing that burn-in issues are disappearing for OLED panels every new generation. But, it should be fixed by the time OLED monitors/TVs hit affordable prices.

Of course a television that has the ability to get images burned unto the screen is going extinct.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.