Nvidia states Adaptive-Sync rumour support as untrue

Samfisher

Source : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-amd-adaptive-sync-freesync,27736.html

When we reached out to Nvidia for a comment, the company flatly denied that the rumor is true and told us that "NVIDIA is solely focused on delivering the best gaming experience with G-SYNC—which is shipping and available today from leading monitor OEMs."

So..... Nvidia is not gonna support adaptive sync anyway now.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

If they start using displayport 1.2a or 1.3 they will basically just support it already. (unless they software block it, which would be extremely stupid to do)

BTW your signature size is against the CoC.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If they start using displayport 1.2a or 1.3 they will basically just support it already.

But while we're waiting for monitors that support it, gotta milk G-Sync.

how can they not support a function of displayport? its a spec of from VESA. not AMD. 

It's something different from AMD's implementation.

If they start using displayport 1.2a or 1.3 they will basically just support it already. (unless they software block it, which would be extremely stupid to do)

AFAIK GM204 cards (980 and 970) are still on DP 1.2 though, so the earliest they will support Adaptive sync if ever, is either lower end GM204's or GM200 in the future.

It's something different from AMD's implementation.

i dont understand.. are you agreeing with me to not?

i know its not the same.

how can they not support a function of displayport? its a spec of from VESA. not AMD. 

If I remember correctly, Adaptive Sync is an optional thing to enable.  If you do support it you just get a special logo you can use on your products to show that it's supported.

i dont understand.. are you agreeing with me to not?

i know its not the same.

Nvidia isn't supporting what AMD's stuff is, VESA they pretty much have to.

I think they'll support it once the technology is finalised and once monitor supporting free sync go on sale.

its not freesync.. its adaptiveSync. its a part of the new DisplayPort standard created by VESA.

Of course they would say that. They have lots of stock to get rid of. Besides we are still 3-4 months away from any Adaptive Sync capable monitor, so Nvidia will milk G-sync for all its worth. Nvidia have put a bit of money into g-sync, so I understand them, but they would be fools, not to support Adaptive Sync. Let's see what Nvidia has to say in 3-4 months.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Probably a marketing move to make Nvidia users buy GSync for adaptive sync.... Since they know their GSync probably profits them a crazy amount by the look of the prices....

Had a gut feeling about this.

No DisplayPort 1.2a or newer anytime soon for the next NVidia GPU's...?

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Well of course they'd deny it. It was a rumor that was apparently "under NDA". So if it's true, they'd deny it because they still have G-Sync units to sell.

Anyone know for sure if the 970 and 980 are on DP 1.2a?  I know that the HDMI is 2.0 despite the official product page not saying so (confirmed on Anand I think).

I think they'll support it once the technology is finalised and once monitor supporting free sync go on sale.

its not freesync.. its adaptiveSync. its a part of the new DisplayPort standard created by VESA.

There was nothing wrong with that sentence(besides spelling/grammar:P), what you added is irrelevant.

On topic:

Basically Nvidia is pulling an Nvidia right now. To completely deny everything in order to save face or to keep up sales of Gsync wile they still can, or just block their customers from any other options then what they sell. Anyway, this is why Nvidia gives me that "bad company" feel, in my opinion at least.

too bad, i currently am using a Gigabyte r9 290, and i am waiting on some adaptive sync 144Hz monitors to come out. it would be nice to be able to switch to Nvidia in the future, but either way i'm going to be rockin' the 290 for a few years so i'm going to be getting Adaptive sync.

and potentially crossfire, i have a system capable of doing it!

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

too bad, i currently am using a Gigabyte r9 290, and i am waiting on some adaptive sync 144Hz monitors to come out. it would be nice to be able to switch to Nvidia in the future, but either way i'm going to be rockin' the 290 for a few years so i'm going to be getting Adaptive sync.

and potentially crossfire, i have a system capable of doing it!

i too have a r9 290. I'm waiting for a 1440p IPS monitor which supports freesync.

Never doubt corporate stupidity, especially with a company like Nvidia in a case like this.

Aye, because it's a standard they can (eventually) support adaptic sync as part of the standard without cannibalizing their own solution and remaining on point, i.e. "We're proud to bring you this brand new monitors with our trusted parters taking advantage of our G-Sync technology......here's the full list of specs....display port 1.3 fully supported" 

That way the monitor will quietly support both standards without making the statement here or in the future inaccurate.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Wow.... Nvidia..... Why....... You assholes...... Nooooooooo

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

[spoiler=sources, right at the top :)]

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-amd-adaptive-sync-freesync,27736.html

[spoiler=TLDR, right at the top :)]

When we reached out to Nvidia for a comment, the company flatly denied that the rumor is true and told us that "NVIDIA is solely focused on delivering the best gaming experience with G-SYNC—which is shipping and available today from leading monitor OEMs."

This, I Find disappointing. It's kinda backwards if you ask me. Freesync/Async is completely free.

Normally, when we hear about Project Freesync, the news comes from AMD, but today we spotted something about the green team's part in the conundrum. According to SweClockers.com, Nvidia revealed that it will be supporting monitors with the upcoming Adaptive-Sync technology.

As you've all already heard, and assumed to mean Async itself being supported, Nvidia will be supporting Async monitors. (well duh, that would be suicide to ditch a displayport standard)

Whether the report on SweClockers.com is accurate remains unknown, although given that the Adaptive-Sync standard isn't expected to cost all that much, AMD might just have forced Nvidia's hand. When we reached out to Nvidia for a comment, the company flatly denied that the rumor is true and told us that "NVIDIA is solely focused on delivering the best gaming experience with G-SYNC—which is shipping and available today from leading monitor OEMs."

-In the TL,DR This is disappointing, The opposite of progress is proprietary standards... Seriously.

We will see, however for the future. a lack of licensing fees may help the technology move along anyway, like linux.

Naturally, we hope that Nvidia will support Adaptive-Sync someday, because if both of the major graphics cards vendors support it, it won't be long until we see it as a standard on most monitors, eliminating a display problem that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place once and for all.

Couldn't agree more.

inb4 fanboy war

I was myself surprised when I read that they were going to be supporting other technologies, and am relatively unsurprised that it has been revealed that they will not.

A lot of people seemed to think that G-Sync is dead in the water, perhaps Nvidia think that is not the case.

Your point, "This, I Find disappointing. It's kinda backwards if you ask me, it's completely free!", is completely flawed.

It is free for them to adopt, yes. But it would also impact sales of G-Sync monitors. It isn't backwards at all.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)