Google and Foxconn team up to automate manufacturing processes.

HutchisonSorbo

Source

Google's ambitions, according to the Journal, include replacing manual labor for intricate tasks like electronics assembly, but will also extend beyond the factory floor to "competing with companies like Amazon in retailing." Amazon itself has already suggested using drones for deliveries, so a robot arms race between these two companies could be on the cards.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this, on the one hand the possibility of new manufacturing facilities in the US is fantastic, but the cost can't be ignored as many Taiwanese workers will now be losing their jobs. As with anything the positives have come at a cost, do you think the positives outweigh the negatives?

workersassem.jpg

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

Don't they make like $14 a day?

These people are taken advantaged of.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

The workers should be happy to get out of the endless depressing pit that is Foxconn 

Arc Midi R2 | ASUS M5A97r2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | EVGA GTX 780 FTW Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8gb | Corsair RM650w Gold | H100i Cooler | 128gb Samsung SSD | 2tb Seagate Barracuda | 3tb Seagate External

Peripherals: 23" Samsung SyncMaster2333 | Acer 27" 1080p | Corsair Vengenance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Logitech G602 | Razer Megalodon Headset | Vespula Gaming Pad

You're right, it would be much better for them to have no job.

At least you keep your dignity.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Source

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this, on the one hand the possibility of new manufacturing facilities in the US is fantastic, but the cost can't be ignored as many Taiwanese workers will now be losing their jobs. As with anything the positives have come at a cost, do you think the positives outweigh the negatives?

workersassem.jpg

sounds cool, but there is no way it generates more jobs than it will kill.

i'm never in support of something if it doesn't stimulate the economy in a positive manner, even if it's a step forward in technological advancement.

these people make waaaaaaaay less than $14 a day... 

EDIT: changed $4 to $14 whoops

My PC specs: 

CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz    Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB @ 1866MHz    GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 770 ACX (2-way sli)    Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (black)    Storage: 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD (boot drive)WD Green 1 TB storage drive    PSU: Corsair RM 850w    Display: BenQ XL2420TE    Cooling: Corsair H100, 5 Noctua NF-F12s    Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate    Mouse: SteelSeries Rival    Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50s  THIS STATEMENT IS YELLOW

these people make waaaaaaaay less than $14 a day... 

EDIT: changed $4 to $14 whoops

I bet, by comparison to other jobs in those countries, these jobs pay okay.  What I don't like are the conditions that they are forced to work in.  That could just be a change in management.

I bet, by comparison to other jobs in those countries, these jobs pay okay.  What I don't like are the conditions that they are forced to work in.  That could just be a change in management.

Exactly! I don't understand why people are so upset about their wages.

Cost of living is a thing, and if they're making a very reasonable wage based on what their costs are, how is that a bad thing?

It's like everyone assumes that it costs the same in Taiwan as it does in their North American neighborhood.

It's a shame that they're going to lose their jobs, but honestly that's the way the future is going. More automation. You can't blame a company for looking for cost savings. A companys sole purpose is to make money.

If it's not profitable, there's no point in it existing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

one day will all be Jobless bitcoin mining will be the only thing to do_smh :ph34r:

People always complain about the conditions these people work in. But I don't think that these people really give a sh*t what conditions they work in. They are probably just happy they can make enough money to not starve to death. If I was living in China or India I would do pretty much anything to make a living. It's just a good think that in most western countries we have a benefit system. These countries don't. Besides their working conditions will improve over time like ours has to. It will take them less time compared to us though.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Cost of living is a thing, and if they're making a very reasonable wage based on what their costs are, how is that a bad thing?

It's like everyone assumes that it costs the same in Taiwan as it does in their North American neighborhood.

It's a shame that they're going to lose their jobs, but honestly that's the way the future is going. More automation. You can't blame a company for looking for cost savings. A companys sole purpose is to make money.

This.

You may think they're being taken advantage of. Maybe the company thinks so too. But the bottom line is that job is an opportunity for that worker to have a more secure future in terms of food, shelter, money, etc.

And this has been happening since the 19th century when textile industries moved from the northern U.S. to the southern U.S, then overseas entirely. It's good for areas that the work is going to, bad for areas it's moving out of. Complete automation is the last stop.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

This is how the electronics industry works fellas: the only reason why we have so much advancement it's because it's at the expense of poor people overseas, don't act like this is an outrage if you didn't know about things like this is just because you didn't want to know.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I think it is highly unlikely that we will ever get to the point where robots replace the human worker completely; who will provide the economic support to run these robots ? Rich people do not account for most of the consumerism in the world; The iphone isnt only sold to people who make 100k+ a year. While some jobs will be replaced, I really think it will open the door for other jobs.

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

$14 is relatively higher than many countries' minimum wage. They might not be able to afford latest gears like us but at least they can feed their family and send their kids to school or even university if they save up the money for it.

Quit acting like a bunch of luddites.
so people working obsolete jobs will have to find new ones? wow, not like thats ever happened with every labour saving techological advancement ever.

y'know what lets go back to havesting wheat with scythes instead of combine harvesters. and building roads with shovels and wheelbarrows.

Blame taiwan's government for not protecting it's workers. Dont blame the people responsible for the advancement of the human race

$14 is relatively higher than many countries' minimum wage. They might not be able to afford latest gears like us but at least they can feed their family and send their kids to school or even university if they save up the money for it.

The people in the resorts in Cuba make $22 a month, and their doctors make $55 A MONTH. and you're considered very luck to get a resort job. X2 on how relative each and every countrys economy is.. But as a side note, in Cuba they need to save for 6 months to buy a pair of shoes..

And this is how cylons are made. They will rebel. It will be just like battle star galactica.

Current PC: Chimera, Because AMD and Nvidia belong together

| CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P | RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 | Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256 GB SSD, 2x Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HDD | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB SC | Case: CM N600 | PSU: Corsair CX 600W(Overkill but I was originaly planning for a 970) | Moniter: BenQ GL2460HM 60Hz 24" |

Left five, Don't cut, Be brave.

The future is scary... really scary. The amount of jobs this will replace is innumerable, and not to mention other companies will probably shortly follow. 

Yes, but when the fact that employment is WAY DOWN the and you live in a small town with only 2 factories and 3000 people and see one of those shut down the families that have lived there there whole lives, and get only a fraction of the price they paid on a house years and years before and leave their homes so they can find work, it puts things in perspective. hurting people for a few million extra a year... I dunno kinda sounds criminal to me...

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600 (4.2GHZ OC) EK-Supremacy EVO AMD RGB - Nickel+Plexi | MB:Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7

GPU EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked | Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | Corsair RM850i | Boot Drive: Intel 760P 512GB | Game Storage: Intel 660P 1TB | Storage Drive: WD Blue 4TB | Logitech G810 | Logitech G502 (Proteus core) | Pioneer VSX-520K+ 4x Wharfedale Crystal 40 Standing Speakers 150W 4ohm | Logitech G933

Yes, but when the fact that employment is WAY DOWN the and you live in a small town with only 2 factories and 3000 people and see one of those shut down the families that have lived there there whole lives, and get only a fraction of the price they paid on a house years and years before and leave their homes so they can find work, it puts things in perspective. hurting people for a few million extra a year... I dunno kinda sounds criminal to me...

Welcome to life. Supply and demand and profit are things. If companies can save money, they will. Life isn't anything close to fair, the sooner you learn that lesson the better off you'll be.

Stuff like that happens all over the world, in every sector. You pick up, adapt, move on to something else.

Does it suck? Yup. It does.

Eventually lot of jobs are going to cease to exist because of automation or improvements, and the world will have to completely rethink it's structure.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The people in the resorts in Cuba make $22 a month, and their doctors make $55 A MONTH. and you're considered very luck to get a resort job. X2 on how relative each and every countrys economy is.. But as a side note, in Cuba they need to save for 6 months to buy a pair of shoes..

This. This is kind of the message more people from the first world countries should understand to understand how fortunate we are to be doing what we do now. Not everyone get to can afford 3xTITAN but at least we're doing A LOT better than some people from third world countries. 

I'm in for automated manufacturing but that doesn't mean it's okay to fire people off or leave them unemployed.