Apple is first to market with a "foldable device"

Terryv
9 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

My Air 2 has an ugly bend in it and faced overheating issues. Apple Store said it's normal... 

One of these things don’t add up

10 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

This is a $1000 product that you can't lay down on a table.

874398BA-16CA-44AD-B789-827FD92C4B9D.jpeg.1394ccbef719b85793fda5d78f95d2be.jpeg

And no, the camera bump does not cause “rocking.” There is too much surface area. 

12 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I would be pretty angry if I bought into this

You would be angry that someone who intentionally set out to break something was able to break that something? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

No 7000 series Aluminum? 

Wouldn't matter at the thickness that the iPad shell is at.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

i psychically recoiled when i saw it break...

apple doesn't deserve to the be the worlds first 1 trillion dollar company, they just don't...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Its an expensive device you should have an expensive case anyway. Treat stuff responsibly and it will treat you well too. 

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

And no, the camera bump does not cause “rocking.” There is too much surface area. 

It just looks wrong tbh, but after using the device, its just not the issue its made out to be. 

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

You would be angry that someone who intentionally set out to break something was able to break that something? 

Anyone who wants a view is going to try and bend it. Its just not that bad, and when it bends well what are you doing putting a $1500 device in a $50 or so backpack. Any expensive device needs a case and to be handled carefully. These tests should not (and are usually not) typical scenarios. 

9 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

ok, the first thing they say is it will bend if you sit on it, to which my reply is gee you think!?

then, about the backpack. i had an asus zenbook of which the display bent from regular use carrying it in my backpack. where is the outrage?

on a serious note, how full was the backpack? if i stuff my backpack full of stuff and then stuff an ipad in there too i wouldn't be surprised if it bent. 

about the devices being bent out of the box, i will agree that's bad. 

Whataboutisms and even an anecdotal whataboutism. 

Making things fragile is inexcusable.

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

If you weight 300lbs I would recommend against sitting on your iPad.

I would recommend against intentionally applying flection force to your iPad such that it breaks.

I would recommend treating your electronic devices with respect. 

Being fair... if you weigh that much you probably wouldnt break it sitting on that because your ass wouldn't be bony and the pressure would be lower due to higher fat content.

The fitter people are at much higher risk of damage. Not just because of ass pressue, but also because any device in/around pockets for them is more likely to be under flexure instead of their bodily mass shape conforming.

Side note... seriously... buy a dead S8 (or similarly sturdy phone) or whatever and try this with your hands. It's actually very difficult. I've tried this on a gen 2 iPad and... honestly I doubt any of us could bend those things without a leverage point besides our fingers.

It isnt hard science. You put rounded surfaces or internal I bracing to dramatically increase the moment of inertia along that axis. Flat, thin, hollow device is a great way to ensure failure.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Lol...get bent Apple...

That aside, I bet the margin they have on these will make these perfectly profitable as long as a bunch of their customers don't go out of their way to routinely test the bendability of their devices.

4 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

apple doesn't deserve to the be the worlds first 1 trillion dollar company, they just don't...

whom ever gets to a trillion bucks, deserves something perhaps a token of expression or a middle finger?

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Making things fragile is inexcusable.

so your standard for not fragile is that you have to be able to sit on it without it breaking?

She/Her

21 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

so your standard for not fragile is that you have to be able to sit on it without it breaking?

So it's a straw man this time?

If a device breaks in normal use cases it's fragile. This one seems to fall under that category. It might not bend today or tomorrow but it's likely to happen. 

But just to humor you: I've sat on multiple devices without them breaking or bending.

It always hurts to see devices being broken in half :P It's interesting to see how easy devices can be broken. I would rather have a slightly bigger/thicker phone, for example, with longer battery life and a bit more integrity, but I also scale my care and behaviour (within reason) with the device according to how weak it is.

To be fair, I think it is unavoidable that devices become more fragile. We have left the Nokia age, devices have naturally become more fragile both due to becoming thinner and more digital. Saying a device as big as a tablet isn't strong enough, because you can't sit on it, is in my book the same as those those reviews marking down ultrabooks, because you can't game well on them. I mean, the thing is basically a touchscreen with a battery behind it encased in a thin shell of material.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

13 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I love how the word "pro" is being given extreme attention. 

This is the issue when devices are relying on the adhesive and screen for durability. Also, shouldn't there be some girdering done to the alum to reinforce it? 

Stainless steel could be way thinner and still be stronger than aluminium. But everyone sticks frigging alumiunium everywhere. Phone just mildly bumps the ground and it has a massive crater in the frame. Idiotic. Aluminium is soft. When will companies get it that lightness isn't the only thing that matters...

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Stainless steel could be way thinner and still be stronger than aluminium. But everyone sticks frigging alumiunium everywhere. Phone just mildly bumps the ground and it has a massive crater in the frame. Idiotic. Aluminium is soft. When will companies get it that lightness isn't the only thing that matters...

When users stop voting with their wallets. Issue is - that's precisely what they have done. Voted with their wallets, and in the process, validated Apple's decision to make their products thinner and lighter. 

And personally, I don't oppose such a move. I use my iPad in the classroom, and when you are holding it and walking around all day, any reduction to its weight and bulk is always welcome. 

Its really fragile but I don't see it big deal compared to mobile.
For phones you put them in your pocket and drop them more easily.

For a Tablet I think its less likely to encounter a scenario where it will make It bend

just my opinion

You'd expect at that price point that the materials would be better and more durable, but I guess that's not the case. This is like one of the few reasons I buy a case to prevent incidents like that to happen. At least now we have a bendable foldable tablet. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Stainless would also be cheaper than aluminum (depending on grade) and much stronger. So much so that they could make it even thinner while still being stronger.

The only advantage I see to using aluminum, is that it's a much better conductor of heat and easier to use in manufacturing.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

1 hour ago, abazigal said:

When users stop voting with their wallets. Issue is - that's precisely what they have done. Voted with their wallets, and in the process, validated Apple's decision to make their products thinner and lighter. 

And personally, I don't oppose such a move. I use my iPad in the classroom, and when you are holding it and walking around all day, any reduction to its weight and bulk is always welcome. 

I'd rather have a more robust tablet, with the peace of mind that it won't be flexing in a backpack with books in it.  And it looks so fragile I kinda doubt just any case would save it, having to use a bulky case makes having the device thinner or lighter pointless IMO. If the camera bump was removed the tablet could be a few millimeters thicker or have an internal structure.

4 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Side note... seriously... buy a dead S8 (or similarly sturdy phone) or whatever and try this with your hands. It's actually very difficult. I've tried this on a gen 2 iPad and... honestly I doubt any of us could bend those things without a leverage point besides our fingers.

I thought this was talking about iPads? You can’t really bend iPhones after the 6. As for iPads, all iPads after the original Air can be bent and nobody freaked out then. 

Bending of iPads just simply isn’t an issue. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

maybe there should have been another way to design a steel body ipad with cutouts for magnets somehow?

The more holes in a structure the weaker it becomes. Also steel weighs a lot more than aluminum so defending against people intentionally bending their iPad vs making the device easy to hold wasn’t really a consideration for Apple. 

28 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'd rather have a more robust tablet, with the peace of mind that it won't be flexing in a backpack with books in it.

Under that scenario the iPad isn’t going to bend. Unless you store your electronics perpendicular to sharp edges and apply sizable downward force. 

iPads don’t bent in real world use, just ask Louis Rossmann. iPads have been easily bendable since the iPad Air and there haven’t been issues. People are just so desperate to criticize that that the only argument they have is that if you really wanted to, you could bend the iPad. 

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The more holes in a structure the weaker it becomes. Also steel weighs a lot more than aluminum so defending against people intentionally bending their iPad vs making the device easy to hold wasn’t really a consideration for Apple. 

Really? Gotta tell that to those bridge and aircraft designers, they been doing it wrong for sooo long.

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Really? Gotta tell that to those bridge and aircraft designers, they been doing it wrong for sooo long.

Yep, an iPad is totally in the same class of structure as a bridge --  a structure that needs to be able to flex in the wind, tolerate vibration, and seismic activity.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.