Apple is first to market with a "foldable device"

Terryv
3 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Really? Gotta tell that to those bridge and aircraft designers, they been doing it wrong for sooo long.

My old structures teacher from High School just did a double facepalm 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

12 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Really? Gotta tell that to those bridge and aircraft designers, they been doing it wrong for sooo long.

Yeah point is, with the aluminum frame being that thin it doesn't matter what grade it is. Bridges and airplanes have holes in them too. There needs to be some kind of internal support and use of screws not just gluing the screen on making a glass aluminum sandwich. Then again Apple's engineers thought the camera bump was a great idea for something you lie flat on a table.

As funny as this is, I can't help but think sitting on it is user error...

11 hours ago, Froody129 said:

For everyone saying it doesn't matter - it kinda does. My Air 2 has an ugly bend in it and faced overheating issues. Apple Store said it's normal... 

This is a $1000 product that you can't lay down on a table. I would be pretty angry if I bought into this 

...of course, laying it on a table is NOT user error.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Can someone fill me in? 

Someone intentionally tried to snap and iPad, and people are shocked when it snapped? 

I'm not a fanboy, I could just snap half the devices in our fleet if I wanted to... 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

I’ll just leave this here. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

i mean, i believe jerryrig commented on the lack of structure in the body. 

i wasnt expecting this thing to survive the bendtest, he does apply a lot of force when testing and simply the larger device would bend more easily. i didnt expect it to give in that easily though, however he did remark the device had surprisingly thin glass when doing the scratchtest something that seemingly 

as mention at least twice in this thread, other devices in the same category do break when applying pressure. hopefully this starts some incetive to add some strukture to the devices. hopefully Jerryrig start testing more tablets and perhaps 2 in 1 devices like the surface. 

hopefully new devices will have some components to minimize the bending and overall structural integrety. 

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’ll just leave this here. 

Really weird how he cuts the video during the bend test after failing the first try with all his might (to the point of his fingers shaking) not only once but twice with each varying degrees of damage when it took Jerry less than 3 seconds to snap it like a toothpick.

If anything, this video proves that either Huawei is way sturdy than the average tablet or Apple just really wanted to create the first foldable device.

22 minutes ago, wANKER said:

Can someone fill me in? 

Someone intentionally tried to snap and iPad, and people are shocked when it snapped? 

I'm not a fanboy, I could just snap half the devices in our fleet if I wanted to... 

Well, there are concerns that Apple could have improved the structural integrity, but there's also a lot of Chicken Little screaming going on.

I predict a repeat of the typical "omg a fault in an Apple product" cycle:

1. The naysayers insist it's a fatal flaw that will kill sales of the product.  Sell all your Apple stock now!

2. While it's not a non-issue, only a small number of people ever encounter the problem in real life.  Sales are just fine, thank you.

3. A subsequent iteration addresses the issue and people largely forget about it.

2 minutes ago, Rain7 said:

Really weird how he cuts the video during the bend test after failing the first try with all his might (to the point of his fingers shaking)

Porcelain bracos

/swoosh 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Porcelain bracos

/swoosh 

It's funny as he prefaced bending it with the dad bod and claimed that if he can bend it then anyone can and fails a few secs later.

15 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Well, there are concerns that Apple could have improved the structural integrity, but there's also a lot of Chicken Little screaming going on.

I predict a repeat of the typical "omg a fault in an Apple product" cycle:

1. The naysayers insist it's a fatal flaw that will kill sales of the product.  Sell all your Apple stock now!

2. While it's not a non-issue, only a small number of people ever encounter the problem in real life.  Sales are just fine, thank you.

3. A subsequent iteration addresses the issue and people largely forget about it.

Well I don't see any "screaming" going on here, it's a genuine concern when every previous iPad was much more durable that this one, 

But what I do see is a lot of excuses for the device being flimsy when it carries the "pro" naming, like "oh why would you treat an expensive device this way" or "just put a case on it".  It's ironic to me especially when  people say don't buy that "plastic junk" yet something made out of metal flexes more than it should which after a while could cause screens to fail,glass to crack, or bends in the aluminum to form.

But it is a flaw no matter how you'd like to defend it, it's going to sell regardless because of the brand image.

The general consumer usually isn't going to be as easy on their stuff as tech enthusiasts are, and again that marketing will sell it anyway. The iPhone 6 wasn't an issue either until screens stopped responding and phones ended up bent.

People will of course forget about it, but the issue shouldn't have been there when previous iPads could pass more abuse.

lol

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

genuine concern when every previous iPad was much more durable that this one, 

Umm, no

Where was the outrage then? 

These are all unfounded concerns and claims that the iPad Pro bends and therefore is a fragile product. Just ask Louis Rossmann 

Find a real criticism like how it doesn’t have a headphone jack. 

13 minutes ago, Rain7 said:

It's funny as he prefaced bending it with the dad bod and claimed that if he can bend it then anyone can and fails a few secs later.

porcelain ? bracos ?

Snazzy is weak as ? and Jerry is more like Lary the ?(lobster for those not on an updated OS with the latest Unicode characters)

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well I don't see any "screaming" going on here, it's a genuine concern when every previous iPad was much more durable that this one, 

But what I do see is a lot of excuses for the device being flimsy when it carries the "pro" naming, like "oh why would you treat an expensive device this way" or "just put a case on it".  It's ironic to me especially when  people say don't buy that "plastic junk" yet something made out of metal flexes more than it should which after a while could cause screens to fail,glass to crack, or bends in the aluminum to form.

But it is a flaw no matter how you'd like to defend it, it's going to sell regardless because of the brand image.

The general consumer usually isn't going to be as easy on their stuff as tech enthusiasts are, and again that marketing will sell it anyway. The iPhone 6 wasn't an issue either until screens stopped responding and phones ended up bent.

People will of course forget about it, but the issue shouldn't have been there when previous iPads could pass more abuse.

Oh, I do think this is a potential concern and something that Apple could probably have addressed.  But, just like the iPhone 6, the alarm over the issue is disproportionate to the actual risk.  If you'd listened to Bendgate people you'd have been convinced that putting your iPhone 6 in your pocket was a death sentence for the device... well, no.  It only applied if you put a lot of force on the phone and it wasn't structurally supported by a case.  Both were possible and happened, but weren't very likely in practice.

Here, I don't really see it being much of a practical problem.  People will probably slap a case on the iPad Pro and it'll be a non-issue for the device's lifetime.

53 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i just realised: steel is ferromagnetic, and that iPad uses loads of magnets for their docking thing hence the use of aluminium o_o

maybe there should have been another way to design a steel body ipad with cutouts for magnets somehow?

Stainless steel can be non magnetic, depending on the alloy composition.

The nickel and chromium content affect magnetism in this particular alloy.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

They market it as a Laptop replacement. But it does not have a real OS.

They market it as ultra portable. But it may bend if you put it in your backpack.

I would say, they have great intentions, but their design team did not know about what the marketing team wanted.

They certainly missed every major selling point from a design standpoint.

Not a bad device, just not as advertised at all.

Just now, asus killer said:

porcelain is actually very strong, jokes on you

Didn’t watch the video* if you did the joke flew over your head* the joke is somehow on the person who did the opposite of the first two things*

?

18 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Umm, no

Where was the outrage then? 

These are all unfounded concerns and claims that the iPad Pro bends and therefore is a fragile product. Just ask Louis Rossmann 

Find a real criticism like how it doesn’t have a headphone jack. 

Making a point with an ipad air bend? Really? Actually kind of expected for the thin and light version, but a thicker "pro" tablet shouldn't be flexing so easily.

I'd like to see what Louis Rossmann thinks about this "ipad pro bendgate" though, but i'm not even giving taliosive tech the click or view when they're going to defend it no matter what as they did with the iphone 6 bending.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'd like to see what Louis Rossmann thinks about this "ipad pro bendgate" though, but i'm not even giving taliosive tech the click or view when they're going to defend it no matter what as they did with the iphone 6 bending.

Well in the video Drew shows Rossmann when he is telling everyone that iPads have never had problems bending because in normal use, they simply don’t bend. 

Not even after Apple switched to the ultra thing iPad Air and even thinner Air 2 design. It simply doesn’t happen. 

9 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

They market it as a Laptop replacement. But it does not have a real OS

A valid criticism 

They market it as ultra portable. But it may bend if you put it in your backpack.

Not a valid criticism 

Structural integrity? Who needs that, make it thinner and more pleasing to the eye. /apple engineers

It matters yes and no, on one hand, like MKBHD said, it's likely to live in backpacks and tables.

But on the other hand, things in your backpack can still bend, from other items pushing against it(especially when "full") or from resting on a railing/fence while forgetting you have a tablet in there. (When I was in school, nearly all my books were slightly bent from this and as an adult, I sometimes forget that I have a laptop in my backpack and just do it still while talking to others)

Or you could just sit/lay down on it by mistake. Which I've also done often with my android tablet and phone because they were under a sheet/cover and I didn't remember I had placed them there. (Or simple didn't see my black devices on the black background of the sofa)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Not a valid criticism 

Why would that not be valid?

Do you think it is uncommon to put a "laptop replacement that is ultra portable" in your backpack?

Do you think it is uncommon, that other things are within that backpack? Or people pumping into you on the subway?

According to the reports this thing bends under about everything that is more than the apple pens writing pressure. Even as far as coming bend "out of the box".

Just now, Tech Enthusiast said:

Why would that not be valid?

Because they don’t bend irl 

1 minute ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Do you think it is uncommon to put a "laptop replacement that is ultra portable" in your backpack?

Do you think it is uncommon, that other things are within that backpack? Or people pumping into you on the subway?

These things do not bend an iPad 

1 minute ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

According to the reports this thing bends under about everything that is more than the apple pens writing pressure. Even as far as coming bend "out of the box"

Going to need some evidence to substantiate those claims.