Apple is first to market with a "foldable device"

Terryv
2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

maybe not try to break it in half and it will be fine. 

Read further into the article, some are bent NIB.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

8 minutes ago, Terryv said:

Read further into the article, some are bent NIB.

ok, the first thing they say is it will bend if you sit on it, to which my reply is gee you think!?

then, about the backpack. i had an asus zenbook of which the display bent from regular use carrying it in my backpack. where is the outrage?

on a serious note, how full was the backpack? if i stuff my backpack full of stuff and then stuff an ipad in there too i wouldn't be surprised if it bent. 

about the devices being bent out of the box, i will agree that's bad. 

She/Her

I was horrified at the title, and then I lol'd at the post.

It's just like Apple to sacrifice device integrity and functionality for dat slimness.

Although I guess their mentality might be that since it's an expensive device, the user would take care of it carefully? It's no excuse for absolutely abysmal structural integrity though, in my opinion. ESPECIALLY on a device seemingly targeted towards "pro"s (whoever those may be...)

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

I love how the word "pro" is being given extreme attention. 

This is the issue when devices are relying on the adhesive and screen for durability. Also, shouldn't there be some girdering done to the alum to reinforce it? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Come on people. The title should be "Turns out if you sit on expensive electronics they break"

No shit. 

The article even says "For the record, I don’t think it’s that much of a problem. This device will mostly live in backpacks and on tables, not accidentally bending in pockets."

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Come on people. The title should be "Turns out if you sit on expensive electronics they break"

No shit. 

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

it will bend if you sit on it, to which my reply is gee you think!?

you should see the abuse our old iPad has sustained.. it's actually survived several "sits" without notable scuffs.

it's not that its somehow an expected daily scenario, its that the older devices could withstand it just fine.

Just now, manikyath said:

you should see the abuse our old iPad has sustained.. it's actually survived several "sits" without notably scuffs.

it's not that its somehow an expected daily scenario, its that the older devices could withstand it just fine.

Oh I know. I have an old iPad 2 that I've sat on. But the trend now-a-day is "thinner, lighter, blah blah blah" so I'm not surprised they went this way.

Also I'm pretty sure I could break MOST modern phones/tablets in my hands. 

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

you should see the abuse our old iPad has sustained.. it's actually survived several "sits" without notable scuffs.

that still doesn't mean that Apple has to design their devices with people sitting on it in mind. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

tha tstill doesn't mean that Apple has to design their devices with people sitting on it in mind. 

no, but apple could at least make sure they are somewhat capable of handling a dose of daily life. they clearly know how to, because they have done so in the past, why cant they now? this thing is a BIG device, and its weakest point just so seems to be the axis right in the middle of its longest side, and from a quick look.. it doesnt look like apple has bothered with much extra bracing inside the chassis.

mind you, i'm not just against apple in this regard.. there's a lot of phone manufacturers that create stunning products that shatter if you look at them the wrong way.. i find it a very sad statement as a whole that in this current mobile device market, a brand like caterpillar can roll in and make a phone that is legitimately better than the majority of similarly priced phones.

I honestly don't know how to take the video used in this thread. The guy was literally abusing the crap out of the thing, which anything else would've likely been trashed as well. 

iPad users after seeing images of Samsung's new folding phone:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Bcat00 said:

I honestly don't know how to take the video used in this threat. The guy was literally abusing the crap out of the thing, which anything else would've likely been trashed as well. 

I agree with that, doubt other tablets would take the abuse, but i'm disappointed its so much weaker than previous the previous ipad. Slight flexes over time by being kept in a backpack full of books could damage the screen or chassis, and for the price Apple should be using better glass on the rear camera lens.

9 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

I honestly don't know how to take the video used in this thread. The guy was literally abusing the crap out of the thing, which anything else would've likely been trashed as well.

That's what the channel does. It does durability tests on the latest gadgets by scratching the glass, bending it, heating it, etc. If it was just some random guy on youtube breaking their device it would be meaningless, but since the channel has done a huge range of devices and tested them under similar circumstances you can use it as a benchmark of durability. It's not the first device to have failed the tests, and it won't be the last.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d087ab9685720e06f269ee9f6c2e4b83.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I agree with that, doubt other tablets would take the abuse, but i'm disappointed its so much weaker than previous the previous ipad. Slight flexes over time by being kept in a backpack full of books could damage the screen or chassis, and for the price Apple should be using better glass on the rear camera lens.

defenately not only the current series of ipads.. but its a very sad statement seeing how surprisingly "sit-proof" the older models were..

and on the topic of the lens.. why the crap does this thing need a camera bump? just stick an extra millimeter of metal on the back of that thing and it's a whole lot more rigid..

also, the convertible laptop/tablet i'm using now is more bend-resistant than that iPad, and it only cost me €250, i feel like for the price apple dares to charge for them, they should be able to do better.

If you weight 300lbs I would recommend against sitting on your iPad.

I would recommend against intentionally applying flection force to your iPad such that it breaks.

I would recommend treating your electronic devices with respect. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

these days people come up with 100 ways to torture the i device then if one of them failed, they just yell "fuck you apple! bullshit device!"

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I was like,

'man Apple are quick to chase trends and they clearly have their pulse on the market'

Reads post, realizes it's a joke.

Image result for well played meme

if you want something that is durable, buy some concrete. 

12 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

these days people come up with 100 ways to torture the i device then if one of them failed, they just yell "fuck you apple! bullshit device!"

I don't know, it's pretty shitty of Apple for selling a laptop that I can force the screen to bend backwards into a 2-in-1 tablet design and no longer have a working laptop.

They should really try to make it more durable...I mean, come on.

/s

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I don't know, it's pretty shitty of Apple for selling a laptop that I can force the screen to bend backwards into a 2-in-1 tablet design and no longer have a working laptop.

They should really try to make it more durable...I mean, come on.

apple's hardware are not as reliable as they used to be... I don't know... maybe I am biased after my 2017 macbook pro gave me so many headaches... (keyboards+mobo+fans all had issues)

If this was an actual laptop I could understand: I mean people are reckless even with laptops but the expectation is that the user lays it down (presumably, on their lap) to use.

A tablet however, well that's a very different use case: it is meant for people to just hold it precariously and carry it around. Tablets are fairly popular nowadays but I feel that this is a case in which just going cheap pays off: this is meant for kids, seniors or people being careless so physical abuse is to be expected. Paying Apple prices and getting Apple's bendy frailty is just asking for shit like this to happen.

-------

Current Rig

-------

For everyone saying it doesn't matter - it kinda does. My Air 2 has an ugly bend in it and faced overheating issues. Apple Store said it's normal... 

This is a $1000 product that you can't lay down on a table. I would be pretty angry if I bought into this 

That's an F in the profile pic