Apple is first to market with a "foldable device"

Terryv
3 hours ago, Red Hardware said:

There are 2 things to note:

1st: This thing is a tablet so it's massive making it more breakable/ bendable

2nd: Apple is not innocent here, they probably could've made it more strong. If you see some drop tests, you can clearly see that the aluminum used here is soft, softer that what we see in phones which is not a thing you should do on a tablet.

BUT since it's a tablet, it's less likely to be dropped or abused. But again, since it's a tablet, it should last for a longer period of time compared to phones and it might get carried in a backpack full of there stuff 

Using a thin layer of glass and a soft aluminum is not going to help with any of that but again, since it's a tablet, it's not going to be as big of a deal as iPhone 6 plus was.

I think the conumdrum is exactly what people want from a tablet.

I can sort of understand the appeal of a thin phone, but a tablet...not so much. I didn't think the iPad Pro needed to be thinner, to be completely honest. The iPad Air form factor was already pretty damn thin.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

I think the conumdrum is exactly what people want from a tablet.

I can sort of understand the appeal of a thin phone, but a tablet...not so much. I didn't think the iPad Pro needed to be thinner, to be completely honest. The iPad Air form factor was already pretty damn thin.

Yep

It doesn't need to be that thin. A tablet is not going in to my pocket so why should I care if it was a bit thicker but instead had better battery and stronger frame or even some sort of passive cooling (or a better one if it has one already)

People used to carry flip phones and the thickness wasn't a problem. So I don't know how a slightly thicker phone than what we have now can bother them, let alone a tablet that is not going inside pockets.

But the thing is this: a thin and light tablet makes more headlines and that's what apple is thinking about probably. 

And there is a big problem with the whole thin thing that they are doing:

As you know big companies like Apple and Samsung are in a position which makes them able to trend some stuff. Samsung did 18:9 aspect ratio and glass backs, wireless charging etc.

Apple did headphone jack removal, notch, useless thin designs and now, they brought back the "who has got the thinnest" fight to tablet market.

And probably, some manufacturers are going to blindly follow that and sacrifice performance or battery life for this. And that's the problem. You might get effected even if you don't have an apple product. 

And that's the sad part. Companies that just follow everything blindly(and most of the times they "copy" the bad stuff that apple does. Instead of learning from good stuff they do like 120hz display or mute switch ...

1 hour ago, Red Hardware said:

Yep

It doesn't need to be that thin. A tablet is not going in to my pocket so why should I care if it was a bit thicker but instead had better battery and stronger frame or even some sort of passive cooling (or a better one if it has one already)

Lighter and thinner and still more wieldly for a lot of people. 

Little changes here and there might need seem like much, but they all add up, not to mention the difference might seem small to you, that doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.

1 hour ago, Red Hardware said:

People used to carry flip phones and the thickness wasn't a problem. So I don't know how a slightly thicker phone than what we have now can bother them, let alone a tablet that is not going inside pockets.

But the thing is this: a thin and light tablet makes more headlines and that's what apple is thinking about probably. 

Fast cars also used to do 0-60 in >10 seconds and people were okay with it then. That doesn't mean I'd be okay with that now.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Lighter and thinner and still more wieldly for a lot of people. 

Little changes here and there might need seem like much, but they all add up, not to mention the difference might seem small to you, that doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.

Fast cars also used to do 0-60 in >10 seconds and people were okay with it then. That doesn't mean I'd be okay with that now.

You are sacrificing too much for a thin design. I'm saying that having something slightly thicker than note9 for example but with even bigger battery is far better than having something thinner and I think most people want a better battery life since they probably put a case on their phones and add a lot of thickness to it and if it's okay for them with the case, they shouldn't care about it on the actual phone.

2 hours ago, 79wjd said:

I don't think that's a great analogy. 

I don't think car analogies work in this way Tbh. 

The thing is that at some point, you're going to get diminishing returns. While it's true that I wouldn't want a phone as thick as a flip phone in 2018, I also don't want something so thin to the point where the essentials have to be sacrificed. 

I don't think the iPad needed to be thinner. It was already plenty darn thin to begin with on the previous generation. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

59 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

You are sacrificing too much for a thin design. I'm saying that having something slightly thicker than note9 for example but with even bigger battery is far better than having something thinner and I think most people want a better battery life since they probably put a case on their phones and add a lot of thickness to it and if it's okay for them with the case, they shouldn't care about it on the actual phone.

In your opinion.

Not everyone puts a case on their phone and not everyone would benefit from more battery life. My phone lasts about a 1.3 days on a single charge -- lasting longer would help on extremely rare occasions, the remaining 99.99% of the time it would make zero difference.

41 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

The thing is that at some point, you're going to get diminishing returns. While it's true that I wouldn't want a phone as thick as a flip phone in 2018, I also don't want something so thin to the point where the essentials have to be sacrificed. 

I don't think the iPad needed to be thinner. It was already plenty darn thin to begin with on the previous generation. 

The analogy works as well as the nonsensical comment regarding tech.

I agree, there is a point of diminishing returns, but that's not to say that those returns aren't still worthwhile to some users.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

Exactly

Nobody wants a phone that's as thick as a flip phone but at this point, having a bit more thickness won't hurt anyone and will probably benefit power users.

50 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

My phone lasts about a 1.3 days on a single charge -- lasting longer would help on extremely rare occasions, the remaining 99.99% of the time it would make zero difference.

That's you, for you it won't make a difference but making it thinner , will it make a difference for you? I don't think so. But for power users, it definitely is going to hurt them.

Back to iPad, it was thin enough. There was no need to make it thinner, I would've preferred a better battery life TBH if I was going to buy one.

BTW can I know what phone are you using and what's the Screen on time on that thing from 100 to 10 or 5 percent cause you either have a phone with great battery life or you don't use it that much. 

7 hours ago, 79wjd said:

I agree, there is a point of diminishing returns, but that's not to say that those returns aren't still worthwhile to some users.

That is true. However, I don’t think that many people care about a paper-thin device these days.

Evident by how every new phone seems to be getting thicker. I know this is a tablet, but when phones are getting thicker these days, it’s something to take note

oh yeah, one of the most direct competitors to the iPad Pro beat it in the bend test. 

so the surface Pro 6 passes the bend test, wonder if the Surface Go can take the same amount of punishment

17 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Surface Go can take the same amount of punishment

My surface GO feels solid and on top of that is a ton smaller. It should survive a lot more than the SP 6.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

My surface GO feels solid and on top of that is a ton smaller. It should survive a lot more than the SP 6.

expect so too, but doesnt it have more plastic components and is therefore more prone to catastrofic failure like the iPad?

or am i missing something? isnt the GO in large part plastic but feels solid and sturdy not to mention premium when you use it?

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

expect so too, but doesnt it have more plastic components and is therefore more prone to catastrofic failure like the iPad?

or am i missing something? isnt the GO in large part plastic but feels solid and sturdy not to mention premium when you use it?

GO is the same magnesium as the Pro models. Its a solid feeling device. I love it

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

GO is the same magnesium as the Pro models. Its a solid feeling device. I love it

ah, though it was large part plastic/composite of plastic and aluminium for some reason.....

All of thee people quick to defend apple.

The thing is a properly designed product needs to be balanced. You can't chase one extreme and sacrifice in all other areas. A device that is that fragile isn't very well thought out. I mean they are showing up new in the box damaged. I see all of the arguments saying to not sit on one, but people have kids, pets, and accidents DO happen. So to have a device that is going to break when a butterfly farts on it just doesn't do much for the consumer.

So please run to defend apple all you want, but the truth is this product was poorly designed with one focus in mind and neglecting all other areas of significance.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

ah, though it was large part plastic/composite of plastic and aluminium for some reason.....

Yeah there is only a small strip that is plastic and that is more just a trim. Build quality is top notch. 

12 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Yeah there is only a small strip that is plastic and that is more just a trim. Bend quality is top notch. 

Fixed

Nvm this was talking about the Go... disregard my response

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

All of thee people quick to defend apple.

The thing is a properly designed product needs to be balanced. You can't chase one extreme and sacrifice in all other areas. A device that is that fragile isn't very well thought out. I mean they are showing up new in the box damaged. I see all of the arguments saying to not sit on one, but people have kids, pets, and accidents DO happen. So to have a device that is going to break when a butterfly farts on it just doesn't do much for the consumer.

So please run to defend apple all you want, but the truth is this product was poorly designed with one focus in mind and neglecting all other areas of significance.

I baby my products so the chances of me bending an iPad is slim, but the fact that is can happen as easy as it does is what scares me. I dont have to worry about it with my GO. 

People jumped down Jerry's throat about this when all he said is be careful throwing this is a bag but its a real concern for a $1000-2000 device. the biggest concern is the drop test show how the soft metal crumples from waste height. I mean the device is usable still but you are almost guaranteed to crack your screen and bend the chassis. 

6 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I see all of the arguments saying to not sit on one, but people have kids, pets, and accidents DO happen. So to have a device that is going to break when a butterfly farts on it just doesn't do much for the consumer.

I guess glass dishes should then fall into the same bucket of going too far for something nice considering that plastic is all around more durable. 

Accidents happen, yes, but it's not a product's fault for someone being careless. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I guess glass dishes should then fall into the same bucket of going too far for something nice considering that plastic is all around more durable. 

Accidents happen, yes, but it's not a product's fault for someone being careless. 

$3 glass dish and $1000 ipad.....cmon, you cant seriously try to compare them.Even then glass dishes have a purpose that plastic cant do. 

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I am not going to spend 1k or more on my dishes. So if I break a dish I am out a few bucks, not the case here.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

People jumped down Jerry's throat about this when all he said is be careful throwing this is a bag but its a real concern for a $1000-2000 device. the biggest concern is the drop test show how the soft metal crumples from waste height. I mean the device is usable still but you are almost guaranteed to crack your screen and bend the chassis. 

hopefully Jerry pushes through and start testing iPads, Tablets and other super mobile devices. glad he went through with doing another Tablet style device. i mean, you are paying 1000$ for something that is supposed to be a solid device with sturdy construction.

we do complain about flex when laptops arent sturdy and so fourth, why should tablets get away with it?

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I am not going to spend 1k or more on my dishes. So if I break a dish I am out a few bucks, not the case here.

That's besides the point. 

Durability isn't the be all end all and some people do have other priorities. As is clearly evidenced by so many things in life. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

That's besides the point. 

Durability isn't the be all end all and some people do have other priorities. As is clearly evidenced by so many things in life. 

I am not saying durability is the end all be all either. I am saying a properly designed device would be balanced. This new Ipad is not balanced. If you have to sacrifice durability that much to accomplish your goal, then you need to re-assess things.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I am not saying durability is the end all be all either. I am saying a properly designed device would be balanced. This new Ipad is not balanced. If you have to sacrifice durability that much to accomplish your goal, then you need to re-assess things.

In your opinion. 

I would rather have the flat sided-design (I still want the 5-style body to make a comeback with the next iphone) and thinner and lighter. Being more fragile is completely irrelevant to me. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler