Apple is first to market with a "foldable device"

Terryv
8 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Why would that not be valid?

Do you think it is uncommon to put a "laptop replacement that is ultra portable" in your backpack?

Do you think it is uncommon, that other things are within that backpack? Or people pumping into you on the subway?

According to the reports this thing bends under about everything that is more than the apple pens writing pressure. Even as far as coming bend "out of the box".

I don't see how it isn't valid, as a laptop replacement it should be able to go in a backpack and not have to worry too much abut it being damaged through everyday use. I don't think of it as a bad device either,and personally i'd put an expensive case on it just because of how expensive the itself tablet is, but there are some people that aren't going to put a bulky case on it.  The glass is also so thin,making it more susceptible to being broken by being bumped or flexed, if the tablet is bent out of the box that is unacceptable for a $900+ tablet.

50 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

porcelain ? bracos ?

Snazzy is weak as ? and Jerry is more like Lary the ?(lobster for those not on an updated OS with the latest Unicode characters)

Then what's the point of the video? He failed his own test under his own terms and had to resort to jumping to the scene where the tablet is already broken after he failed his own bend test multiple times. I guess he relied on the viewers' fanboyism to see what they want rather than have them rationalize what had just transpired, so I guess kudos to him for exploiting them and not so much for the people who actually fell for it.

10 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

unacceptable for a $900+ tablet.

iPad Pro starts at $799

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Rain7 said:

Then what's the point of the video?

To show that all tablets bend if you want to bend them. Which he succeeded in. 

Your opinion is frankly irrelevant as the internet has already decided that no, the iPad Pro does not bend. One decanting voice isn't going to change that. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

To show that all tablets bend if you want to bend them. Which he succeeded in. 

Your opinion is frankly irrelevant as the internet has already decided that no, the iPad Pro does not bend. One decanting voice isn't going to change that. 

He didn't though, hence the need for the video cut.

Except that decanting voice is the only rational one here when presented with the video from both parties.

2 minutes ago, Rain7 said:

He didn't though, hence the need for the video cut.

Except that decanting voice is the only rational one here when presented with the video from both parties.

Oh sure there bud

59 minutes ago, Rain7 said:

Then what's the point of the video? He failed his own test under his own terms and had to resort to jumping to the scene where the tablet is already broken after he failed his own bend test multiple times. I guess he relied on the viewers' fanboyism to see what they want rather than have them rationalize what had just transpired, so I guess kudos to him for exploiting them and not so much for the people who actually fell for it.

Yeah weird how the video was cut to it already being snapped in half, so it took more than one try to actually break it as the iPad was apparently easily folded.

But thats what a lot of the sponsored Youtubers do to get their views and keep their audience. Although SnazzyLabs is about the only one that has some rational sense and not just being a blind fanboy, for instance see his struggle with the imac pro wall mount kit and how poorly designed that is, he really ripped on Apple for that one.

58 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

iPad Pro starts at $799

Well after tax in the US,depending on the state it's at least $850 and Apple doesn't include the pen so add another $129. Add a case and you're getting into laptop replacement levels of cost.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

But thats what a lot of the sponsored Youtubers do to get their views and keep their audience.

I agree with that sad truth. 

Although SnazzyLabs is about the only one that has some rational sense

Oh yeah I like that guy, he's one of the few tech channels I watch.

Not just being a blind fanboy, for instance see his struggle with the imac pro wall mount kit and how poorly designed that is, he really ripped on Apple for that one.

Haha that's what I also aspire to be, someone who can appreciate a product (I may not look like it but if someone went to my room, I would get labeled as an Apple fanboy in an instant since I have an iPhone 3,4,5,5c,6+ and a MacBook Air) yet still have an open mind to accept any criticisms and create a rationalized conclusion based on the facts presented.

Aww man, I thought I would be able to get a flip iPhone :(. . .

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

i just realised: steel is ferromagnetic, and that iPad uses loads of magnets for their docking thing hence the use of aluminium o_o

maybe there should have been another way to design a steel body ipad with cutouts for magnets somehow?

Quality stainless steel isn't ferromagnetic either.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Bending of iPads just simply isn’t an issue. 

Y'know, I have this crazy feeling that if iPads didn't bend, but some other brand did and this topic was about that, you'd be singing a different tune.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

8 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Y'know, I have this crazy feeling that if iPads didn't bend, but some other brand did and this topic was about that, you'd be singing a different tune.

Unlikely. If Samsung’s tablets were bendable I would feel the same way. 

Just asking, why Apple decided to put the microphone where it is? Like offsetting the microphone and the pen charger would have been the worst design ever and putting them to the middle of the place that is going to get the most stressed was some kind of necessity. I don't take a part wheter or not ipad bends easier than others, but that just makes me wonder why they would put the two places where structural integrity is weakest to the places where applied force stresses the most, where any sane person would want to have as much as possible strength. Does it hold in normal use is a question, but even if it does that design is like "designed to fail".

Honestly, the fact that it bent (and even snapped) doesn't surprise me.

The way the tablet is constructed alongside its nature of being a large thin slab of aluminum means that it's going to flex more easily than say a phone. A double whammy is the combination of the lack of reinforcement alongside the unfortunate placement of the microphone.

Notice that in a lot of cases, a place where the device tends to fail is usually where there are cuts in the metal for volume buttons and such. The iPad and Huawei tablet both snapped at that exact spot where they had to cut into the metal for a charging port and/or microphone.

For reference, my 2015 Pro has a small bend. Wanna guess where? The volume rocker, to the point where one of the buttons has failed.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

10 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Making things fragile is inexcusable.

It is engineered destruction, lots of consumer grade products are that way. If you do now want that, then you either build it yourself or buy commercial or industrial grade items, which just has multiples of 100% to the price tag.

4 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Really? Gotta tell that to those bridge and aircraft designers, they been doing it wrong for sooo long.

4 hours ago, TechyBen said:

and aircraft designers

Aa191_ohare.jpg

This is why you do things properly. Who would've known a little knock was enough to weaken an engine pylon to the point of complete failure...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

My old structures teacher from High School just did a double facepalm 

The+fuselage+terminates+at+the+tail+cone

As people have said. Apple insist on using Aluminium, which means it flexes... but does not return to shape. Personally I prefer plastic, steel and less glass/ally, as those flex but return to their shape, shatter less, and dent less.

PS, what speed what that aircraft going at? Because I'm not complaining if iPads cannot survive 150mph impacts. Just if they flex from everyday use (as the iPhones did!).

This is no uncalled for from Apple. They've made flexing devices multiple times.

12 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Just if they flex from everyday use (as the iPhones did!).

Neither of those is true

5 hours ago, Rain7 said:

Really weird how he cuts the video during the bend test after failing the first try with all his might (to the point of his fingers shaking) not only once but twice with each varying degrees of damage when it took Jerry less than 3 seconds to snap it like a toothpick.

If anything, this video proves that either Huawei is way sturdy than the average tablet or Apple just really wanted to create the first foldable device.

Watch the original video again. The guy clearly isn't a small dude, and he shakes his hand (as if he hurt it) after he bends it too (and his hands were ALSO shaking.)

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

As people have said. Apple insist on using Aluminium, which means it flexes... but does not return to shape. Personally I prefer plastic, steel and less glass/ally, as those flex but return to their shape, shatter less, and dent less.

PS, what speed what that aircraft going at? Because I'm not complaining if iPads cannot survive 150mph impacts. Just if they flex from everyday use (as the iPhones did!).

This is no uncalled for from Apple. They've made flexing devices multiple times.

well, at least design wise it appears the iPad wasnt too concerned with structural integrity in mind. the aluminium appears to snap really easily on points of weakness.

a lot was sacrifised for the thin body of the product. also wasnt there an issue with the camera glass pertruding a bit ?

IIRC Unbox therapy mentioned Apple use cheaper Ally, and that's why it bends and snaps the way it does.

Just now, TechyBen said:

IIRC Unbox therapy mentioned Apple use cheaper Ally, and that's why it bends and snaps the way it does.

he mentioned it, but Everything Apple Pro also pointed out the seperation between the LCD and body and the lack of anything between that and the glass that attaches the panel to the body.

i mean, i havent seen anything in the design that points to them structural integrety. as far as i know the only thing stopping it from snapping beside the structurally weak frame is the glass which apperantly quite thin and then the long flexible battery which is just holds the device together.

first to market

You never want to be the first buyers of any new product. Its never ever wise, never ever ever.

Now you throw in a newly minted "tech" and you want to stay well away from it, unless you want more clicks, whether figuritively or otherwise, think deep.