Car for a teen?

sk3let0nz
Go to solution Solved by Amazonsucks,
1 hour ago, sk3let0nz said:

Yes, definitely. My parents have a BMW and a Mercedes. We've had to replace the tires on the Mercedes 4 different times, luckily we were under warranty care.

Hah we had the same problem with our C Class. The car would not hold an alignment and it rode like a truck. I think it had 3 or 4 sets of tires in just over a year with less than 15,000 miles. They would go "out of round". The later E320 we had drove nicely but eventually the head gasket failed despite being very well maintained and driven gently.

You should really take your parents to the Lexus dealership. Getting a Camry loaner car from the Mercedes dealership was actually what prompted us to switch to Lexus 18 years ago. The beat up Camry loaner was quieter than the Mercedes. 

If you geta Camry, try to get the turbo 4(8AR-FTS). I have that engine in my RC200t and its great fun. 

2 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Oh lmao not really kek
I only make $11/hr rn and so far I seem to get around 30 hours on average, though I expect that to go to around 40 hours and maybe up to $13/hr in a couple months if I stick with this place. lol

Im just getting the luxury of not having many bills to pay rn lol

Try your best to stay debt free because you will regret of going into debt. 

2 hours ago, Speed Weed said:

Bugatti is nice, but not a lot of us will not going to own one, and your friends and family members will going to bitch you for your money. 

I would get a Corvette or Nissan GTR because these two are in super car class. 

Bugatti is in the hypercar class though.

15 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Bugatti is in the hypercar class though.

Same to me because all hypercars are supercars. I know I ain't getting the bugatti with my sorry ass life. 

What's with kids wanting Euro/luxury cars for their first these days? Is it for status? My sister got an Audi A4 1.5 years ago and now wants to sell it because parts are expensive and so are services, not only that but the equipment and quality are just not there to justify their price (mind you we're in Australia so Euro cars are stupid expensive.) Resale is also ridiculous.

If you want a Euro car then I'd recommend something from Volkswagen, they have some very sleek cars out.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

54 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

Try your best to stay debt free because you will regret of going into debt. 

?‍♂️ that's why Im making sure I have a larger than average down payment.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

33 minutes ago, vong said:

What's with kids wanting Euro/luxury cars for their first these days? Is it for status? My sister got an Audi A4 1.5 years ago and now wants to sell it because parts are expensive and so are services, not only that but the equipment and quality are just not there to justify their price (mind you we're in Australia so Euro cars are stupid expensive.) Resale is also ridiculous.

If you want a Euro car then I'd recommend something from Volkswagen, they have some very sleek cars out.

it is status lmao
kinda dumb tbh

I agree though if youre set on euro, the VW Jetta is like a baby Audi

2 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

?‍♂️ that's why Im making sure I have a larger than average down payment.

Save money then pay in full. Don't borrow car loan, but if you do borrow car loan make sure you pay it off no less than 5 years. Normally, I wouldn't go 5 years car loan. Max for me is 2 years. 

get a cheap late 90s or early 2000s car. 

Civic and similar are super cheap to work on and are 2-3K for a one in decent shape. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Audi is very hit or miss with their engines. Repairs are expensive. Mercedes tend to be more reliable, but even more to repair. BMWs are good as well, not as terrible as Mercedes on the repairs budget, but also not as high class. Strong recommend on the 3 series though. As far as Japanese cars, I would highly recommend them over German. Parts will be considerably less expensive (even though there is a mark up for the name sometimes). Lexus is one of the most consistently highest reliable brands out there. Pretty can't go wrong with any models. An IS or ES will be your best options. For Infiniti, probably the Q50. If you want an American car, Cadillac and Lincoln will be your best bets. The Cadillac CTS has been a popular car since it's release, and has good engine options. ATS and XTS get an honorable mention. For Lincoln, the MKZ is basically their go to sedan, with the MKS being basically the same thing, maybe a bit smaller. Pretty much all cars mentioned have many engine selections, so you can pick your balance of fuel economy and power (though if you're paying for gas/having the car for a long time you might want better economy). All cars mentioned have their pros and cons, but all will have good interiors. Obviously Japan takes the cake for reliability (though surprisingly Lincoln isn't too far behind).

Hope this helps (I know you already picked a best answer)

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

9 hours ago, Speed Weed said:

Save money then pay in full. Don't borrow car loan, but if you do borrow car loan make sure you pay it off no less than 5 years. Normally, I wouldn't go 5 years car loan. Max for me is 2 years. 

>Paying $24,000 in cash for a car

Funny yeah, no. I personally would go for 60 months and pay more when I can to get done with it sooner.

17 hours ago, sk3let0nz said:

Hello, all. I have come across this forum to ask about which car I should get as a teen driver. I am 16 years old and in process of purchasing a vehicle in about a week or so. Here are 2 choices I've been going with, a used 2017 Infiniti Q60 or a used 2018 Mercedes CLA 250. 

*I will pay about half of the costs from the money I've accumulated from over time.

I will not write a long story here, none of these cars are not for you. Try to buy a or b segment car.

1 hour ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

>Paying $24,000 in cash for a car

Funny yeah, no. I personally would go for 60 months and pay more when I can to get done with it sooner.

You are making a bad finance decision. 60 months loan is like a house mortgage loan, and car is not very reliable compare to a house. Let's say the car cost $24k in cash minus tax, and you choose 60 months payment which will going to put you $34 - 40k total with interest rate, so you are paying more than you are suppose to with a loan. Why borrow car loan when you can choose 60 months to save up to $24k to buy a car. Second is if you don't like the car, and you want to trade the car for a new car. Well, you are still going to pay off the loan on the car you are willing to trade in. What you are doing is adding more debt on top of debt. 

5 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

Why borrow car loan when you can choose 60 months to save up to $24k to buy a car.

Build credit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Build credit.

I rather pay full in cash or save money to the point I can pay full. Build credit doesn't mean a crap to me. You borrow loan, you are in debt period. 

19 hours ago, sk3let0nz said:

Hello, all. I have come across this forum to ask about which car I should get as a teen driver. I am 16 years old and in process of purchasing a vehicle in about a week or so. Here are 2 choices I've been going with, a used 2017 Infiniti Q60 or a used 2018 Mercedes CLA 250. 

*I will pay about half of the costs from the money I've accumulated from over time.

BTR-60

39.jpeg

Allow me to explain:

(1) It's armoured, so safe in an accident.

(2) It's big, so no one will run you off the road

(3) Seats 16, all your friends can ride along

(4) It's slow, no speeding tickets for you (50 MPH top speed)

(5) It's amphibious. Traffic jam? What traffic jam?

(6) It's cheap. About 15k$ (US) to buy, a little more to certify for road use

(7) Already street legal.

(8) Cheap to fix. It's soviet, designed for uneducated farmers to fix. 

(9) Theft Proof. 

(10) Gas or Diesel engine. Your choice.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Speed Weed said:

which will going to put you $34 - 40k total with interest rate

You have no idea what you a talking about.

A 24k loan, even at 6% over 60 months is 27,839$ or just over 3k in interest.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

33 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

My $21K loan ended up being $25.5K at the end of 60 months. There's alot of factors.

If he's getting that much interest, is juat means he has the worst credit possible, and that no one should ever give him money.

Edited by Drak3
Forgot a zero

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

23 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That is closer to 4k in interest btw. Also that 6% in interest in 60 months makes you pay about 17% more of the total value of the car... so almost 1/5 more in cost.

That being said 6% is pretty high. I normally pay 2% or lower on interest from my credit union. Think my last car was 1.6% interest on a 36m loan

So in comparison at 1.6% and 36 months... I would pay $596 in total interest. Now my monthly payment would be about $200 higher lol.

17 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

That is closer to 4k in interest btw. Also that 6% in interest in 60 months makes you pay about 17% more of the total value of the car... so almost 1/5 more in cost.

That being said 6% is pretty high. I normally pay 2% or lower on interest from my credit union. Think my last car was 1.6% interest on a 36m loan

So in comparison at 1.6% and 36 months... I would pay $596 in total interest. Now my monthly payment would be about $200 higher lol.

My point still stands, even at a bad interest rate it's nowhere near 34-40k

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

My point still stands, even at a bad interest rate it's nowhere near 34-40k

Well if you are buying a user car and use dealer financing or it is a first time loan with no credit... then those interest rates can easily hit 19+%  So in that case you would be paying a hell of a lot more than yo should for the car. The problem with a 60 month loan is that unless you make a pretty good down payment you are basically backwards on your loan the moment you drive off the lot.

There is nothing worse than having a car that is worth less than what you owe on it.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

You have no idea what the dealerships have under their sleeves. They will try to drain your money as much as possible. The dealership is the the devil. My dad has a good credit, and he borrow 2 years loan to buy me a $9k 2008 Nissan Sentra with 27k miles, and at the end the total he pay off is $14k. You also to forgot to pay taxes, so it is not $24k flat. $24k + taxes ( 1k - 2k) + loan with interest rate. 

1 hour ago, Speed Weed said:

You have no idea what the dealerships have under their sleeves. They will try to drain your money as much as possible. The dealership is the the devil. My dad has a good credit, and he borrow 2 years loan to buy me a $9k 2008 Nissan Sentra with 27k miles, and at the end the total he pay off is $14k. You also to forgot to pay taxes, so it is not $24k flat. $24k + taxes ( 1k - 2k) + loan with interest rate. 

Dunno where you are but taxes around here are nowhere that high. If you are in Europe all bets are off but your numbers are still waaaaaay too high

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Dunno where you are but taxes around here are nowhere that high. If you are in Europe all bets are off but your numbers are still waaaaaay too high

FL. Eastern US. 

I'd go for a cheap car with good safety ratings and proven reliability.

Camry, Civic, Accord, Corolla, etc. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to fix, cheap to run, and a premium put on occupant safety. Not super fun, but it's a first car.