Microsoft is considering supporting Android on Windows Phone

TopWargamer

http://bgr.com/2014/01/06/microsoft-windows-phone-android-smartphone/

(SUCCESS!...almost)

In an attempt to better compete against Google in the mobile business, Microsoft reportedly considered various “unconventional tactics,” including letting smartphone buyers choose the mobile OS for their future handset, The Information reports (via The Next Web). “In one scenario, a smartphone buyer would be able to walk into a wireless carrier store, find a phone they like and only then choose whether they want Windows Phone or Android software to power it permanently,” a confidential document from a potential Windows Phone partner revealed.

However, Microsoft execs concluded that such a scenario would not be feasible, as letting the buyer choose the OS for a device would be problematic both for the hardware maker but also for the carriers involved. The only way the company really would have been able to make it happen would be to align Windows Phone’s hardware requirements with Google’s.

Yes Microsoft, please support Android! If the next high end Nokia Windows Phone is running on Android, I can tell you right now that I would buy that in a heartbeat, and so would many others. This would give the Windows Phone a HUGE boost in sales, which is just the thing that Microsoft needs right now.

COMIC SANS

*screeches*

Yeaaaaaaaaahh!!!!!

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

http://bgr.com/2014/01/06/microsoft-windows-phone-android-smartphone/

(SUCCESS!...almost)

Yes Microsoft, please support Android! If the next high end Nokia Windows Phone is running on Android, I can tell you right now that I would buy that in a heartbeat, and so would many others. This would give the Windows Phone a HUGE boost in sales, which is just the thing that Microsoft needs right now.

it will give them increased sales for the wrong reason

That would be a great move, for nokia's sales and for the consumers too.

And the irony it would be... Microsoft buy nokia to put android on their phones.

Signatures are stupid.

Ok so let's actually think about the less tech savvy people this will be extremely confusing if they just want a phone that works.

But I see how this can cater to the "enthusiast" like me,I mean the only thing that would be better then this is if it dual booted Android and Windows Phone which xda hopefully will do :D

And aren't Windows Phone and Android hardware requirements really similar ever since 4.4?

Android on my Lumia 920? I want

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

They might as well just kill off windowd phone if they do that.

Would anyone even buy a Windows Phone anymore unless they actually invested money in the ecosystem? This feels like a very conceded attitude.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Yes! If they do support Android, it would be great but I'll probably never use Windows Phone 8 once they support Android.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I really like the windows phone experience.  If they can make android apps seamlessly integrate into the phone, it'll be a big hit.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2371600-9530080022-13605.gif

was my reaction :P

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Mmm, I would love a Lumia 925 or 8X successor (if that ever happens) to run stock Android on :D

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I'd buy a windows phone if I could bail to android if the experience was bad.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Why do I suspect Microsoft will try using Android with a Windows Phone 8 interface in the future?

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

2371600-9530080022-13605.gif

was my reaction :P

post-29966-ITS-HAPPENING-gif-Ron-Paul-HD

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I think this is a bad move. WP7 and especially WP8 are great phone OS's. They need to fix the issues that are remaining, and implement the features that are lacking. The WP market share has been steadily growing for the last couple years. Why would they up and destroy that market share by allowing Android on their phones?

I can't say as to whether I believe Microsoft would ever do this though, as they do make bad decisions occasionally.

The biggest problem with Windows Phone is the image. Even here, on a tech enthusiast forum, most users just assume that WP8 is crap, with a crap interface, no apps, and no features, and is in every way inferior to Android and iOS. This might be someones opinion, but it is not fact. Of course Android and iOS have advantages over WP8, but each OS has advantages over the others. WP8 is already great and with a little love and work could be made into the best mobile OS on the market.

Even if you look at Linus' 30-day switch videos, most of the issues he has could be easily fixed by software updates that don't change the feel of the OS. Things like implementing sidescrolling quickly thru long lists (esp for apps, contacts, and music).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This sounds like a load of rubbish.

I can't even begin to say how stupid the idea sounds.

Help customers buy into a competing software ecosystem, which they may then stick with for years to come?

Sounds legit.

This sounds like a load of rubbish.

I can't even begin to say how stupid the idea sounds.

Help customers buy into a competing software ecosystem, which they may then stick with for years to come?

Sounds legit.

Agreed.

The ecosystem is far more important to Microsoft than the hardware. Does anyone honestly think they miss the money they invest into hardware R&D? It's a drop in the bucket compared to their overall bottom line, AND compared to the money they can make off of their own ecosystem. I honestly believe anyone who wants Microsoft to do this are just pissed that a different ecosystem has a sweet phone they want. Android already has enough high end devices like the HTC One, the new Sony Xperia, Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note 3, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don,t need android interface on my Lumia. But I'd really like to have mx player,some powerful file manager and opera installed. Android or native. That's all.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....