HOW is THIS for Gamers??

45 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yes, people are lazy and I would say even Linus and his team are lazy when it comes to reporting to their viewers.

What more would you want us to report?

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

5 hours ago, Paddi01 said:

is the 8700k still the best gaming cpu?

Nope. In terms of raw performance, the 9900K is. 

Not by a whole lot in games, mind you, but still enough for it to technically be the best in terms of performance. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The i3/i5/i7 video has been inaccurate for at least a year now. It's BS that he's claiming it's a new occurrence.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

The i3/i5/i7 video has been inaccurate for at least a year now. It's BS that he's claiming it's a new occurrence.

Not that I minded losing hyperthreading on the Core i3 line, since it got upgraded from dual-core to quad-core, but yeah.  

image.thumb.png.5b0bef5c1e7237c44fc2cd3c4c12ccec.png

7 hours ago, GabenJr said:

What more would you want us to report?

Would help if you reported accurately on the price difference vs. the 2700X and 8700K. Your video claims the 9900K is 30-40% more expensive, when the truth is it costs 49% more than the 8700K and a whopping 90% more than the 2700X.

Would also help if you picked a motherboard that wasn't VRM throttling...

14 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I laughed at his facial expression LOL

EXPOSED. THE GIG IS UP LINUS.

linus snip.JPG

linus popeye.JPG

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

5 hours ago, Nogr said:

I'm curious, will you test this addressing the issues mentioned here 

Hardware Unboxed explained thermals

Wow! This is a HUGE deal, I know nothing about VRM limits or what that even is really. Time to learn more about this as it cries out as a huge deception tactic from intel to me. I always thought any motherboard could fully utilise a stock chip that was socket compatible.

19 hours ago, SolarNova said:

I mean seriosly, for gaming , an i7 sandybridge with a good OC .. maybe 4.8-5ghz, or 4.6-4.8ghz for a 6c/12t chip, is more than capable even now.

This is the thing, so much "old" hardware is more than capable BUT the hardware being released constantly is to keep feeding the industry and churning profits. Making people buy more regularly basically. 

Maybe I'm too contrarian for a lot of folks when I say that, but seriously games haven't advanced so quickly that hardware needs constant upgrades.

I upgrade every 3-4 years and even then it's not because I can't play the newest games in max settings.

7 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Would help if you reported accurately on the price difference vs. the 2700X and 8700K. Your video claims the 9900K is 30-40% more expensive, when the truth is it costs 49% more than the 8700K and a whopping 90% more than the 2700X.

Would also help if you picked a motherboard that wasn't VRM throttling...

Would help if you even knew what you were talking about. This board actually uses the TDP limits unlike many boards now and in the past.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

12 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Would help if you even knew what you were talking about. This board actually uses the TDP limits unlike many boards now and in the past.

And the cTDP is throttling the CPU because of weak VRMs. Try again.

19 hours ago, Enderman said:

No...... watch the video.

The 9900K is.

Actually it's looking like the i7 9700K is because Hyper-Threading is being derp on games.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Actually it's looking like the i7 9700K is because Hyper-Threading is being derp on games.

Just because the 9700k performs better in one or two DX12 benchmarks does not mean it is the best overall.

Literally at the beginning of the benchmarks they put a "weighted gaming performance" chart where you can CLEARLY see the 9900K is better.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Just because the 9700k performs better in one or two DX12 benchmarks does not mean it is the best overall.

Literally at the beginning of the benchmarks they put a "weighted gaming performance" chart where you can CLEARLY see the 9900K is better.

Yeah this man is right, plus the games they use and the spots in the games they use.

Plus whats the algorythm they use for the "weighted" perf

10 hours ago, JCHelios said:

Not that I minded losing hyperthreading on the Core i3 line, since it got upgraded from dual-core to quad-core, but yeah.  

image.thumb.png.5b0bef5c1e7237c44fc2cd3c4c12ccec.png

It makes me wonder if he really didn't know.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

eh, donno if okay to ask here, cause youtube comments is a cesspool. But classic question, first background music song name?

12 hours ago, Sakkura said:

You are making an assumption that that is why and not just the way Asus has always set it up.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:00 AM, Sakkura said:

If you set the cTDP higher which other reviewers have done (tested 95W and 300W cTDP) on the Asus Maximus XI Hero the performance and Turbo Frequencies increase accordingly, that motherboard handles it just fine and the VRMs do not throttle, temperature or otherwise.

Intel default SVID sets long term Turbo TDP to 95W and Turbo Boost Short Power Max to 120W with Turbo Boost Power Window of 16 seconds. This is the Intel defined spec, that's actually not what most motherboard set as default and configure/override to settings that are not Intel default.

You are seeing a drop off in performance because the Turbo Boost Power Window has been meet so TDP throttling in engaged, that's a CPU thing not a motherboard thing and with Intel SVID set every single motherboard will do the same.

You can see it in the GN review on the Power over Time graph for the Fortnight streaming graph, it drops to ~95W after the boost window is met. Hardware Unboxed latest video also shows this and talks about exactly this, some of his opinions I don't fully agree with but he correctly identifies what is actually going on and the settings that cause it.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

If you set the cTDP higher which other reviewers have done (tested 95W and 300W cTDP) on the Asus Maximus XI Hero the performance and Turbo Frequencies increase accordingly, that motherboard handles it just fine and the VRMs do not throttle, temperature or otherwise.

Intel default SVID sets long term Turbo TDP to 95W and Turbo Boost Short Power Max to 120W with Turbo Boost Power Window of 16 seconds. This is the Intel defined spec, that's actually not what most motherboard set as default and configure/override to settings that are not Intel default.

You are seeing a drop off in performance because the Turbo Boost Power Window as been meet so TDP throttling in engaged, that's a CPU thing not a motherboard thing and with Intel SVID set every single motherboard will do the same. 

But what you get out of the box with most motherboards is what's most relevant to test, in my opinion. It's also what's more in line with the performance Intel is making people expect, even if it's technically outside their specification.

And when boards do set a lower TDP that would presumably be related to having weaker VRMs (like many Z370 boards do compared to Z390 models). Like a 300W cTDP is no joke on a plain old 4-phase board.

Intel probably should have set a higher TDP for the 9900K. 95W is technically possible, but those advertised turbo speeds are going to be hard to sustain.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

But what you get out of the box with most motherboards is what's most relevant to test, in my opinion. It's also what's more in line with the performance Intel is making people expect, even if it's technically outside their specification.

And when boards do set a lower TDP that would presumably be related to having weaker VRMs (like many Z370 boards do compared to Z390 models). Like a 300W cTDP is no joke on a plain old 4-phase board.

Intel probably should have set a higher TDP for the 9900K. 95W is technically possible, but those advertised turbo speeds are going to be hard to sustain.

Setting the Intel SVID was an active choice by those that did it, I don't know what the defaults actually are for that board but it's not Intel SVID.

9 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

But what you get out of the box with most motherboards is what's most relevant to test,

For a motherboard review yes, not for a CPU review. The problem is, as demonstrated by all this "tech drama", that you can't accurately compare reviews because as it seems and has been mostly known for a while now every motherboard sets different parameters.

I don't think it's much of a burden on reviews to run stock tests in a CPU review as actually stock, Intel's stock, then also test motherboard defaults as well as reviewer optimized defaults i.e. Overclocked.

You shouldn't be reviewing the motherboard in a CPU test.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

For a motherboard review yes, not for a CPU review. The problem is, as demonstrated by all this "tech drama", that you can't accurately compare reviews because as it seems and has been mostly known for a while now every motherboard sets different parameters.

I don't think it's much of a burned on reviews to run stock tests in a CPU review as actually stock, Intel's stock, then also test motherboard defaults as well as reviewer optimized defaults i.e. Overclocked.

You shouldn't be reviewing the motherboard in a CPU test.

Well, yeah, but the CPU performance is dependent on the motherboard. Since most motherboards will be more aggressive than Intel's official spec (see also MCE, or even the non-K OC shenanigans), I think what they standardize on for testing should be more representative of that. Intel's official spec and SVID may say one thing, but it's getting further and further from what most people actually experience.

Otherwise Intel will continue to try and have their cake and eat it. So many cores, so many clocks, so few watts.

9 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Well, yeah, but the CPU performance is dependent on the motherboard. Since most motherboards will be more aggressive than Intel's official spec (see also MCE, or even the non-K OC shenanigans), I think what they standardize on for testing should be more representative of that. Intel's official spec and SVID may say one thing, but it's getting further and further from what most people actually experience.

Otherwise Intel will continue to try and have their cake and eat it. So many cores, so many clocks, so few watts.

Oh I agree it's more representative but I still think testing Intel's SVID should be done, that's going to be the only way that Intel will actually look at changing their TDP specification. If it's widely shown by every reviewer just how performance constrained the CPU is under Intel's spec that might just be enough.

Also using Intel's SVID spec you can't actually reach the all core turbo of 4.7Ghz, from what I've seen you need ~160W to reach it and the default 120W is far off from that. 

On 10/22/2018 at 10:00 AM, Sakkura said:

Those "weak" VRMs allowed Steve at Gamers Nexus to hit 5.3GHz on his 9900k during his live stream overclocking of the 9900k. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.