Scroogling elgooG - Google reportedly hid a major security bug with Google+ (and Google+ is dead for consumers)

D13H4RD

Another day, another Google product that doesn't work the way it should.

It's been revealed that Google+ has a pretty significant bug which allowed some information such as email addresses and age to be exposed even when set to only be privately viewed.  While Google said that no evidence was found that showed tampering of such data, it's apparently significant enough to be one factor in Google+'s death for the consumer side.

he company says it closed the bug in March 2018 shortly after learning of its existence. The WSJ reports that the company chose not to report it because of fear of “immediate regulatory interest” that would lump Google in with Facebook, according to one source’s description of the incident. At the time, Facebook had just publicly disclosed that data mining firm Cambridge Analytica had illegally purchased tens of millions of users’ profile information from a third-party app maker, who had gleaned that information from people who logged into a personality quiz and inadvertently granted the app access to their friends list.

The shutdown will take place over the course of the next 10 months, concluding in August of 2019. It still plans to make Google+ available as an enterprise product for companies, which is a curious move for a product that had a massive, exploitable bug built into a core API for three years. “We’ve decided to focus on our enterprise efforts and will be launching new features purpose-built for businesses. We will share more information in the coming days,” Smith writes.

Source: The Verge (yes, the same website who made that controversial PC, though not the same group)

And yes, Google+ is going to die for consumers

Google is going to shut down the consumer version of Google+ over the next 10 months, the company writes in a blog post today. The decision follows the revelation of a previously undisclosed security flaw that exposed users’ profile data that was remedied in March 2018.

Google says Google+ currently has “low usage and engagement” and that 90 percent of Google+ user sessions last less than five seconds. Still, the company plans to keep the service alive for enterprise customers who use it to facilitate conversation among co-workers. New features will be rolled out for that use case, the company says. Google is focusing on a “secure corporate social network,” which is odd considering this announcement comes alongside news that the company left profile details unprotected.

Source: Also The Verge

D13H4RD's opinion

Honestly, I have never used Google+, even though I have a Google account that's tied deeply into Google services. There's just nothing significant that makes me want to use Google+ over other competing services. However, on the topic of the bug, it's astounding that such a bug was allowed to exist between 2015 and 2018. It just really strikes me as something that really shouldn't be allowed to exist for this long, especially for a service provided by a large company the size and scale plus influence of Google.

But maybe this is Google slowly turning its back on "Don't be evil"?

On the note of Google+'s death for consumers, as I said before, never used it in any significant manner, so I will not be missing it. Google's decision to force people to use their service was really the many nails in its coffin.,

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Time for the next version 

Google++

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Another google app bites the dust... and nothing of value was lost. Most ppl I know don't even know about G+, those that do won't even care if it shuts down, hell they won't even know it's shut down unless I mention it. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

About damn time

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Q.Q Goodbye Google+, you will be missed.

It's my go to source for developer news about Android and for a lot of gaming topics.

@D13H4RD2L1V3 you say it shouldn't have existed that long but until a security flaw like this is found it can't really be fixed. There have been major security flaws in Windows, WPA Supplicant, the Linux Kernel, iOS, and many other platforms that have existed years without detection. They fixed it shortly after being alerted to it. That's pretty much all you can expect.

How great it must be to have such a bug for 7y

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

As far as "user data" being exposed goes, that's pretty minor.
Hell, I don't even mind, my email was leaked dozen of times already through other services/websites that were hacked, even assuming it was exposed, it'd be dumping a water cup in the ocean, makes no difference as to what information is out there.

In any case, I won't miss Google+, only used it because it let me have the username I wanted on youtube.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It just really strikes me as something that really shouldn't be allowed to exist for this long, especially for a service provided by a large company the size and scale plus influence of Google

Remember Spectre and Meltdown? Those vulnerabilities existed for at least 20 years and was only brought to Intel’s attention around late 2017. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Time for the next version 

Google++

3 hours ago, KendoSapion said:

Google should take the same path as Intel and have Google++++++

It'll be like the new iPhone, GoogleMax.

Plus is so 2013 c'mon guys. Max is in.

On Topic: Google+ was too heavily tied into Google services, to the point where I couldn't distinguish Gmail contacts from Google+ contacts, everyone was forced to make an account, I think they forced anyone using YouTube to start using Gmail and so that tied into Google+ as well.

They were late to the party and it wasn't very clear why I would choose Google+ over Facebook or another competitor, it didn't offer anything unique.

Personally, I'm really sad Google+ is going down. Yes, it's quite terrible and there's a huge amount of spam there, but it was still a great source for news and interesting projects; I follow some 3D-printing, maker-, Arduino-, ESP8266/ESP32-, embedded hardware-, DIY-electronics etc. commmunities there and it was great to be able to just open the G+ - app on my phone and see if there's some new, interesting post in any of those communities. The posts appeared in the order of whatever was the newest, not based on popularity or likes or whatever stupid shit, it didn't try to spam me to "react" to the posts or anything like that, all of which made it such a good, clean source.

With Google+ going down, I don't know what else to move to ? I really wish there was something else that filled the spot, but none of Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and whatever other shit I've seen people telling people to move to instead works, they're all absolutely terrible alternatives ?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

This is all an elaborate plan by moot to bring Google+ users back to 4chan.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I'm more surprised it still exists tbh 

Spoiler
░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ Bob is building an army.
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ \☻ This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████]... ▌\︻╦╤─ Copy and Paste this all over
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤.... / \ YouTube if you are with us

Edited by Shreyas1

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Google+ was stillborn and only has users because it was shoved down our collective throats, I'm glad to see it finally die 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Gr8!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.