SpaceX Falcon 1st stage lands at Vandenberg AFB, CA for first time

ionbasa

Do27rTbV4AEYc0X.jpg

SpaceX successfully launched and landed its Falcon 9 this evening, marking the 62nd flight of the vehicle. It was also the 12th ground landing for the company, and the first one on the California coast.
SpaceX has been wanting to do ground landings out of its other launch site at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, too. The company leased a site there in 2015, a former launch site for the Titan rockets, in order to create a concrete landing pad. However, SpaceX had yet to receive clearance to use the pad, and has only been able to land its West Coast vehicles on drone ships in the Pacific Ocean. But over the summer, the company applied for a license to land at the Vandenberg pad, and now it seems the site is open for business.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/7/17947518/spacex-falcon-9-rocket-launch-vandenberg-california-landing-watch-live

Fun fact:

The rocket being used for this flight launched from Vandenberg once before. On July 25th, the vehicle lofted 10 satellites for telecommunications company Iridium, and landed on a drone ship in the Pacific. SpaceX is now targeting 10:21PM ET for this liftoff. This launch has an instantaneous launch window, too, so if the rocket doesn’t go up exactly on time, SpaceX will have to try again another day. The company has a backup launch date set for the same time on Thursday, October 11th.

For long time employees of the Hawthorne, Calif.-based company there must be some satisfaction in this. More than a decade ago, when SpaceX sought to begin launching its Falcon 1 rocket, the company asked the Air Force for permission to launch from Vandenberg. But the military and some of the companies using the facility to launch national security missions, including Lockheed Martin and Boeing, looked coolly upon the requests from SpaceX. Now SpaceX has built a landing zone on the former site of Space Launch Complex 4W, where Titan rockets built by Lockheed were previously launched.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/10/spacex-will-attempt-to-make-a-historic-west-coast-landing-sunday-night/

It's nice seeing SpaceX land a Falcon 9 first stage at Vandenberg AFB in California, especially considering they wanted to attempt this before but couldn't. A separate landing pad had to be constructed in order for this to happen. SpaceX recently had FAA approval for landings at Vandenberg AFB. The landing and launch pad are only 1400 feet apart, thus increasing the risk and potential damage that could occur if there were a failed landing attempt. 

Previous Pacific/west coast landing attempts have been on a barge. Wired explains why this attempt is beneficial and possibly crucial to SpaceX:

A successful landing will be a huge win for SpaceX, as the company won’t have to rely solely on its drone ship when recovering boosters shot from its West Coast facilities. Without having to dispatch recovery vessels to retrieve them, the boosters can be pressed back into service more quickly. Further, salt water can be corrosive, requiring more time for inspections and possible refurbishments. The flip side is that returning to land demands more fuel than touching down on the drone ship. The type of landing SpaceX pursues is largely dependent on the payload and how much fuel is left after launch.

https://www.wired.com/story/spacex-plans-to-land-its-first-rocket-on-california-soil/

I'm personally excited to see SpaceX successfully land here on the west coast. Its close proximity to SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne, CA should result in quicker turnaround times to launch. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

India is doing it cheaper!

India's been doing it longer!

But there are other players out there too.

The cool thing is with SpaceX they are employing Americans!

cool, If I only lived in social right now to go and watch it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I watched it live, super cool!

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I was able to personally see it happen. Here are some not-so-great photos off my phone. 

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

15 hours ago, ionbasa said:

I'm personally excited to see SpaceX successfully land here on the west coast. Its close proximity to SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne, CA should result in quicker turnaround times to launch. 

The west coast launches are not about turnaround times, they're about orbits.  For high inclination orbits (wi-fi, surveillance) you want to launch from Vandenberg; for low inclination orbits (communications, weather) you want to launch from the Cape.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:43 PM, Canada EH said:

Okay...

1. When did India land any 1st stages back in a usable condition/if at all? 

2. When was India a 'private organisation'?

3. China's been doing rockets longer then anyone, don't mean shit.

4. Care to prove they are doing it cheaper?

On 10/7/2018 at 11:43 PM, Canada EH said:

Do you have a source for this?

The only thing I could find that compares most of the major launch systems only included the Indian GSLV. The launch price is cheaper overall ($47m USD vs Falcon 9 Reusable at $62m USD), but it also carries SIGNIFICANTLY lower payload, so the cost per kg into orbit is actually way worse:

Basically every single current SpaceX launch system is way more economical per kg, even considering both LEO and GTO orbits.

So the only benefit to GSLV is if you have a tiny payload, and don't want to launch anything else into orbit, or don't want to share the launch with other goods.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I was wondering what that light in the sky was...and the my FB feed was flooded with photos from my friends! Should've gotten a good photo myself, but plenty of those to go around on the internet lol

The real news is that we're able to talk about this news without Elon Musk absorbing all the attention with his vortex of stupidity...well for now anyway he might be requesting someone to hold his beer while he gets on Twitter again.

-------

Current Rig

-------

When will the second space race start?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 10/8/2018 at 5:43 AM, Canada EH said:

India has been landing large rockets after use?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*