Europe Parliament accelerating transition to Electric Cars

Jtalk4456
Message added by SansVarnic

This topic has some obvious political undertones as well as a magnet for environmental difference of opinion.

Remember to keep all commentary/replies civil and on topic. Uncivil remarks or attacks toward others will removed and the commenter warned.

Thanks

I don't know if someone has mentioned it yet, but there should be an equally strong effort to push public transport, especially in urban areas.

Small improvements in that, and I could see myself using the local transport networks, instead of driving my car to work every day.

/slightlyofftopic

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

15 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

A lot of places in the world haven’t yet had the infrastructure to facilitate long-distance travel in electric vehicles.

Tesla Superchargers for instance aren’t in a lot of the world yet

Solve that hurdle and I think a lot of the world’s ready 

The thing is places like work, home and shopping centers should be putting them in w/o gov assistance (less home possibly). If they made it a legal requirement (like BC has for condos) like disability spots (idk if thats a thing over there) then you'd see a large growth in a year or 2. (work complexes and malls make so much money they can afford to do it, they don't want too)

What Tesla is doing is great but considering they have limited resources and afaik doing it all on their dime, so you need to give them a break on the supercharger front, tho in their main markets they do have most of the places covered.

22 hours ago, yian88 said:

WTF kind of laws? they just simply vote emissions should be % percent lower in upcoming years? based on fucking what?  if we dont have the technology to improve that much how can they vote such laws.

California created the EV1 (among others), before that gov introduced regulations forcing MPG to drop drastically. Both of which where attacked by words similar to yours.

If you want something crazy demand 75% less emissions from 2020 by 2025, automobile companies will say it's impossible, people like you will say it's impossible. Law passes, every vehicle sold in 2025 will have it, guaranteed... The only company to fail and go under? GM... Maybe DC too :P

16 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Thanks to ignorant hippies who start screeching when they hear the word "nuclear", this will likely happen lol

Well it sort of happens in Germany. when Germany produces more renewable now, instead of closing down coal, they close down the Nuclear.

If I remember right. Germans can correct me if I am wrong prob.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

42 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

California created the EV1 (among others), before that gov introduced regulations forcing MPG to drop drastically. Both of which where attacked by words similar to yours.

If you want something crazy demand 75% less emissions from 2020 by 2025, automobile companies will say it's impossible, people like you will say it's impossible. Law passes, every vehicle sold in 2025 will have it, guaranteed... The only company to fail and go under? GM... Maybe DC too :P

^This. In a way it's similar to the rapid technological development in times of war. Forced development...kinda works.

Personally I think this is the only way that the ball will get rolling, because the majority of large auto manufacturers aren't...against it, per se? Or at least they'll say as much when asked. I'd just say 'indifferent' would be a better word to describe their views. They need a motivator, and by that I don't mean an optional one...

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

we can allways return, it just takes a frickin long time to do so

No. That's the all point. Once earth becomes like mars theres no plant life no animal life. You cant get back from that. As much as you can imagine mars with trees and animals running wild, that's an utopia.

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Once earth becomes like mars

That's not going to happen as a result of what we're doing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You are correct just because humans will most likely be dead before earth reaches that point. While especially small micro organisms will live just fine while we are dead.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

14 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Well it sort of happens in Germany. when Germany produces more renewable now, instead of closing down coal, they close down the Nuclear.

I rather see coal plants stay open and the Nuclear ones close down, until we get Thorium ones working... You can work with the pollutants coal makes, but Nuclear can cause far far worst issues.
Or this:

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You clearly don't remember 2017 and Trump very well...

Here's a reminder:

DSn6qrIXUAAxo-S.jpg

13 minutes ago, asus killer said:

As much as you can imagine mars with trees and animals running wild, that's an utopia.

It could happen, it would take likely 3,000+ years... 

3 minutes ago, Mihle said:

You are correct just because humans will most likely be dead before earth reaches that point. While especially small micro organisms will live just fine while we are dead.

Humans will go exinct from other causes long before climate change.

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

You clearly don't remember 2017 and Trump very well...

Here's a reminder:

It was nothing more than intimidation to keep an insignificant ant in his place.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Total nuclear war that make us extinct will still kill us but many micro organisms will survive.

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Mihle said:

Total nuclear war that make us extinct will still kill us but many micro organisms will survive.

Anyone with an understanding of Mutually Assured Destruction knows that that ain't happening.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Anyone with an understanding of Mutually Assured Destruction knows that that ain't happening.

*Most likely

And the people in power makes a difference if its just super tiny chance or little less super tiny chance.

-Stephen Hawking

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It was nothing more than intimidation to keep an insignificant ant in his place.

Perhaps, but imagine if both sides launch because the other thought they launched, or a tweet gone wrong....

Once you launch one you're never going back.

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

No. That's the all point. Once earth becomes like mars theres no plant life no animal life. You cant get back from that. As much as you can imagine mars with trees and animals running wild, that's an utopia.

I think you are missunderstanding what will happen. Like bad stuff is goung to happen

But the steps required to turn into mars

First our liquid iron core has to become solid. Second we will have to loose our atmosphere due to the sun chipping away at it.

What we are doing wont turn us into Mars. We wont turn into Venus either. When we mean "runnaway" greenhouse effect in relation to earth its not a Venus scenario. Its more of a rappid shift in ecosystem, change in Oceanlevel, a small massextinction event of certain types of species. Depending on how far it goes offcourse. 

53 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

It could happen, it would take likely 3,000+ years...

Just asking, do you know the state of Mars? Im also going to ask for the state of Venus.

Do you know what states our earth have been through?

Its gonna take a lot longer for us Humans to do that. 

5 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

They generously forgot about the short battery life and the little tid-bit that it isnt that simple to properly dispose the dead batteries...

(Winston S. Churchill )

And gas-powered cars create immediate air pollution problems -- see, the status quo has its own specific problems.  Besides, this also falsely assumes that battery life isn't improving, and that there isn't work being done on safer battery disposal.

As I said earlier, the anti-EV camp seems to base its hope on an assumption that the conditions must be perfect before we ditch fossil fuels, and that technological progress is frozen in time.  That's simply ridiculous.  Electric cars are ultimately better for the environment; we shouldn't halt progress just because we don't have everything we want right away.

51 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Actually humans can live through that. 

There are huge parts pf the globe that wont be affected by the launch. They will have to survive the aftereffects. 

Also, we are straying way of topic now.

Edited by GoldenLag

3 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

i see what you're getting at but i don't quite buy it. First off, people would protest such a drastic tax change. Second, most areas are not powered by the government, but rather a company like Duke Energy, Union Power and many others. Even in NYC, independent companies make the power. So the government isn't taking a loss by me not buying from Duke anymore than if I stopped shopping at walmart and went to target.

I just put 50% as a placeholder, I'm sure in reality it would be lower.

I guess in USA electricity business is privatized, while in my country it is still run by the government, and knowing how we do things in my country, that isn't an impossible scenario.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

56 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

i think you are underestimating two things, the capacity of man to change environment, just look at any chart of CO2 in the atmosphere and how it evolved in such a short period compared to earths life time. And also mankind's overall stupidity, all it takes is for one moron to press a button.

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Actually humans can live through that. 

There are huge parts pf the globe that wont be affected by the launch. They will have to survive the aftereffects. 

Also, we are straying way of topic now.

Well, true..

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Just asking, do you know the state of Mars? Im also going to ask for the state of Venus.

Do you know what states our earth have been through?

Its gonna take a lot longer for us Humans to do that. 

Based on what I've seen it is technically possible to create a ozone/warming on mars in about 100 years, trees like evergreens I think after that time too.

I keep getting the years wrong for breathing on the planet lol... but it is possible, will we survive the transition is the real question unless we find a way of mass conversion....

13 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Besides, this also falsely assumes that battery life isn't improving, and that there isn't work being done on safer battery disposal. 

I didnt sayd that, but ATM EV's are not good enough to be an altetnative to anything. Choking the industry with borderline impossible regulations wont help it.........

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I didnt sayd that, but ATM EV's are not good enough to be an altetnative to anything. Choking the industry with borderline impossible regulations wont help it.........

Really? So all Tesla's the i3 and i5 are all garbage? If you are referring to range then chances are you need to see a doctor for range anxiety, something like 90+% of all people don't need vehicles to go more than 100 miles a day. This means a cheap used i3 (they are not bad they are just ugly af)

If you do need more than 100 mi, move or find a new job, your health is worth more than the savings on housing using travel (which might not even exist over 10 years of costs). Not to mention if you get stuck in a traffic jam it causes a bad mood for work making you unproductive.