FBI unlocked an iPhone X by forcing suspect to use Face ID

4 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Conclusion: If you are going to commit crimes value your privacy, make sure you use things generated by your consciousness (password, code, shape etc) as password than physically present stuff (face, fingerprints, pupil etc).

FTFY

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Niksa said:

I never enabled biometric unlock on my iPhone. And even if someone unlocks it, they would find many cat, coffee and food pictures.

What if google steals your phone to use for Targeted adds!!

Oh god the horror

Just now, Technous285 said:

They will likely call bullshit and try to bullshit you into "confessing" your social media identities.

At least for paranoid 'Murrican border patrol wanks.

Well good luck with that.... xD

Biometrics are the least secure way to go about securing your phone. They would have a harder time getting him to enter some sort of code.

But hey it looks cool. The rgb of security.

4 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Apple probably faced a huge deal of pressure last time when they refused to I mean there was no backdoor to open users phone without thier password being encrypted on the device

Actually there was a way to unlock that phone. John McAfee explained in an on air news segment with an FBI agent on how to unlock that phone.

Another note, the FBI managed to eventually unlock that phone with the help of a third party, and eventually withdrew their demand that Apple build in a back door for them.

That entire case was never about getting access to the phone. It was about getting precedent for the government forcing a company to modify its software to give the government a back door. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The best security is a code, enter the wrong code and lock it for god. Simple if you really need security really bad.

Am i wrong?

"Forced". They had a warrant. If the suspect wasn't cooperating, it would've just increased the charge against them. Even if the warrant itself wasn't specifying the use of FaceID, it couldn't have been hard to just hold it in front of their face since that's not protected by law unlike passwords.
They would've just went to companies like Greyshift or Cellebrite to have it unlocked had faceID not been enabled.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

43 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

"Forced". They had a warrant. If the suspect wasn't cooperating, it would've just increased the charge against them. Even if the warrant itself wasn't specifying the use of FaceID, it couldn't have been hard to just hold it in front of their face since that's not protected by law unlike passwords.
They would've just went to companies like Greyshift or Cellebrite to have it unlocked had faceID not been enabled.

I already said this in this forum, people speake like warrants are a " do whatever " card. It's not, it specifies what can be searched and how.

If it wasnt forced the person could simply close their eyes, its not just hold it in front of the suspect.

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

Better Pro Tip:

YnBUPzd.gif

oh yea because the police are infallible. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Weirdly enough i was upset at first , thinking it was an abuse of power, then wasn't upset based on for what case it was used. ?‍♂️

Details separate people.

Apple probably faced a huge deal of pressure last time when they refused to I mean there was no backdoor to open users phone without thier password being encrypted on the device, adding a face unlock made the job easier for the authorities, ofcourse if people have nothing to hide won't have any problems but I wonder if people would avoid face unlock feature altogether from here on out. 

Face ID is no different than touch id (which already existed -- in the 5s -- at the time when the FBI wanted the San Bernardino 5 unlocked). Touch ID and then Face ID were surely not added out of pressure from the government but rather as a convenience feature.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

14 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Also, they do know how to beat people so there are no marks left...

Yup, and even photographic evidence doesn't get them convicted. 

5b86e616fe515009c99180a5e63c634353a58051_1_562x550.jpg.385f1fbb6df43433f89d0ba1a5d56620.jpg

On-topic : Biometrics never were a good idea to begin with.  I've always refused to use them on any of my devices, and this is just one of the reasons why. 

15 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

What if google steals your phone to use for Targeted adds!!

Oh god the horror

I can't say that I understand your sarcastic comment attempt. How did you manage to put Google into this all of the sudden?

For the rest of the people,the reason why I don't use biometrics is because I am used to enter passcode. Some habits die hard 

15 hours ago, TetraSky said:

GrayShift box will no longer work once USB restricted mode kicks in after one hour. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

15 hours ago, TetraSky said:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects,[a] against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Suspects of a crime are under no obligation to assist the police. The police may search your property, or your person only with a search warrant. Said warrant must specify where exactly the police are to search, and what exactly the police expect to find. ''Nothing to hide, nothing to fear'' does not apply in the US.

If you think it was acceptable to force the suspect (S-U-S-P-E-C-T) to unlock his phone, you're a complete idiot. In the very best case scenario, there was nothing of interest on the phone. In the worst case scenario, a man guilty of sexually assaulting children will have incriminating evidence thrown out court due to the way the evidence was obtained. The absence of said evidence may lead to a lower prison sentence than it would have with said evidence, or there may be insufficient evidence to put the man in jail at all, assuming he is guilty.

If you've ever heard of people getting off on a ''technicality'', this could very well end up becoming an example.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

The laws need to catch up with tech. Biometrics should not be allowed to be used by law enforcement unless explicitly stated by the search warrant. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

26 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The laws need to catch up with tech. Biometrics should not be allowed to be used by law enforcement unless explicitly stated by the search warrant. 

Or just don't use biometrics to secure your devices as they can be easily broken into. If all they need is your face or fingerprint, they can get it.

12 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Yeah, the law needs to be very clear about what is, and isn't allowed. It's very murky across pretty much the whole western world, and governments should really provide clarity on what law enforcement can and cannot do. Unfortunately they are made up of approximately 98% tech illiterate people so they probably mess it up if they tried.  

On 10/2/2018 at 1:26 AM, VegetableStu said:

actually:

ios12-iphone-x-settings-face-id-passcode-crop.jpg

why not just uncheck the first one?

Because you don't want the police to get into your iTunes and apps store. Good uncheck the second one too.

On 10/2/2018 at 1:23 AM, Jurrunio said:

Conclusion: If you are going to commit crimes, make sure you use things generated by your consciousness (password, code, shape etc) as password than physically present stuff (face, fingerprints, pupil etc).

Too bad most people like us who are smart enough to think of these things... are also smart enough NOT to commit these crimes and make our monies elsewhere. lol.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

I use biometrics (fingerprint only atm) for convenience but my phone forces me to enter a pattern at random times when unlocking. I consider that good enough for me.

I value my privacy but I don't let it get in the way of ease of use and convenience. I don't let myself get into the situation where a cop would be questioning me and wants my phone as "evidence" for some reason or another. Call me a sheep or ignorant if you want, idc. I will admit that I don't have Facebook or IG (deleted Facebook account in 2012, never signed up for IG) if that matters, since I consider Mark Zuckerberg a sociopathic and deceitful person.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.