Microsoft gives up on UWP Office Apps because of the death of Windows Phone

AlTech

Microsoft has given up on UWP Offices apps mostly thanks to the death of Windows Phone and Windows 10 Tablets.

The Verge reports that Microsoft has ceased development of Touch optimized UWP Office apps for Windows. The company will allegedly be focussing on Android and IOS Office apps as well as Win32 Desktop apps for Office.

Microsoft first started work on its touch-friendly Office apps for Windows 8.1 more than five years ago. Designed for tablets or laptops with touchscreens, the apps are lightweight and speedy versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Microsoft has updated them regularly for Windows 10, but now that the company has halted work on Windows 10 Mobile, it’s also halting work on these Office apps.

The apps aren’t fully dead yet, but Microsoft is no longer developing new features for them. “We are currently prioritizing development for the iOS and Android versions of our apps; and on Windows, we are prioritizing Win32 and web versions of our apps,” explains a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge.

The reprioritization isn’t all that surprising given the state of dedicated universal Windows apps on Windows 10 and the Microsoft Store. These touch-friendly versions of Office were once a great example of what developers could achieve if they made universal Windows apps, but Microsoft now lets developers simply package existing desktop apps and list them in the store. There’s little incentive for developers to create these new universal Windows apps, and Microsoft’s own prioritization for Office makes it clear that traditional desktop apps will remain the powerful apps on desktop Windows machines.

While Microsoft currently uses these touch-friendly apps on devices like the HoloLens and Surface Hub 2, it’s clear that the company sees an opportunity to push development of its web versions of Office as a replacement. Microsoft could make these web versions far more powerful as browser standards continue to emerge, and with progressive web apps they’ll certainly look and feel a lot more like a traditional app anyway.

Honestly, if Office 2019 for Desktop is actually an Electron App (we don't 100% know yet) then this would make a lot of sense. And Microsoft would still be able to package Office and distribute it via the Windows Store as they have been doing for a while.

I'm hoping that if Office 2019 is Electron based that they'll finally make a Linux version of their Office apps.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/28/17913174/microsoft-office-universal-apps-windows-10-development

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm hoping that if Office 2019 is Electron based that they'll finally make a Linux version of their Office apps.

HECK. YES.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

MS hates linux more then i hate MS. Trus me i hate MS VERY MUCH! Making linux version of office apps will close the death of Windows. Some other programs will follow. Some people will transit to linux. More games will be made for linux. Many games already support linux natively and there is Proton too. So yeah linux started to be good desktop OS for anyone.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Seems highly unlikely if you ask me as they would probably have to rewrite the entire thing, which doesn't seem like something MS would do.

now to kill UWP as a whole and be done with this BS

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

33 minutes ago, lvh1 said:

Seems highly unlikely if you ask me as they would probably have to rewrite the entire thing, which doesn't seem like something MS would do.

If you read what I wrote then you'd see that they wouldn't have to re-write the whole thing.

Electron is cross-platform and they're already making Office 2019 using Electron anyways.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

MS hates linux more then i hate MS. Trus me i hate MS VERY MUCH! Making linux version of office apps will close the death of Windows. Some other programs will follow. Some people will transit to linux. More games will be made for linux. Many games already support linux natively and there is Proton too. So yeah linux started to be good desktop OS for anyone.

A few years ago I would have agreed, but these days it seems like Microsoft are more interested in selling services. I don't really think they care which platform you use Office on as long as you're using Office.

12 hours ago, lvh1 said:

If it's an Electron app then they can lift most if not all of the web-office code and use that.

On top of that, they probably had to rewrite large parts of it when they ported it to UWP, so it's not like they have shown hesitance to do it before.

14 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

the death of Windows Phone and Windows 10 Tablets.

Do they not class the Surface pro as a tablet? i thought it was one of their biggest sellers?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

MS is one of those companies that can just throw money at things and see what sticks.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

Making linux version of office apps will close the death of Windows.

giphy.gif

You hate MS so much that you're delusional, ok got it.

You really think that the ONLY REASON that people dont jump to Linux is MS Office?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

Do they not class the Surface pro as a tablet? i thought it was one of their biggest sellers?

It doesn't sell that many units compared to other products on the market. It was never intended to be a great seller. They just wanted OEMs to make clones of it rather than the awful devices they were making before then.

no efforts to make Office launch faster on macOS it seems. 

*cries in slow load times*

She/Her

Well, shame that WP couldn't live up though. I mean maybe in future they give it a another go we'll see. 

Also Office '19 is out as a non-subscription package so they're not going Adobe like with sub only. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Well, shame that WP couldn't live up though. I mean maybe in future they give it a another go we'll see. 

Also Office '19 is out as a non-subscription package so they're not going Adobe like with sub only. 

They have basically confirmed this is the last perpetual office ever. And even Office 2019 won't get stuff that Office 365 will get.

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

They have basically confirmed this is the last perpetual office ever. And even Office 2019 won't get stuff that Office 365 will get.

Yeah true I know =/

Being last perpetual Office is a shame. They made it as a last stand in a way for companies and individuals that like that model more. 

I just hate subscription models for many things, like everything is going subscription based it's insane. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

You really think that the ONLY REASON that people dont jump to Linux is MS Office?

No but many people have that argument when i suggest them linux. "But hey office does not work on linux". If office will be available on linux such people can swith to it.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

8 hours ago, Arika S said:

As far as Office is concerned, tablets only run iOS, Android, or Windows RT/S.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I missed old windows mobile.

They should just make a phone that runs Win10 IOT, can't be hard considering a 835 chip can run adobe photoshop PC without issues.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 minute ago, williamcll said:

They should just make a phone that runs Win10 IOT, can't be hard considering a 835 chip can run adobe photoshop PC without issues.

Or fork Android.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Or fork Android.

yeah but if I want android I just get a regular phone like the OP6 I'm using at the moment.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, williamcll said:

yeah but if I want android I just get a regular phone like the OP6 I'm using at the moment.

If MS forked Android, they'd be able to modify it to behave alot more like Windows Phone AND not suffer the issue of lack of developers offering apps on their platform.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, williamcll said:

It'd just face the same problems that Windows 10 Mobile and Windows Phone did: not enough native apps, and not much hardware support outside of Microsoft itself.  If the company were to jump back into mobile, it'd have to be a breakthrough that's clearly better than Android and iOS, not just a slight tweak on Windows 10.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If MS forked Android, they'd be able to modify it to behave alot more like Windows Phone AND not suffer the issue of lack of developers offering apps on their platform.

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It'd just face the same problems that Windows 10 Mobile and Windows Phone did: not enough native apps, and not much hardware support outside of Microsoft itself.  If the company were to jump back into mobile, it'd have to be a breakthrough that's clearly better than Android and iOS, not just a slight tweak on Windows 10.

I remember that Win10 IOT supports x86 programs.

Just now, williamcll said:

I remember that Win10 IOT supports x86 programs.

Unless you're using a phone that has Continuum, that wouldn't really matter.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, mate_mate91 said:

No but many people have that argument when i suggest them linux. "But hey office does not work on linux". If office will be available on linux such people can swith to it.

No... No. Those people will switch to a different argument as to why they don't switch. Almost none of them will switch.