Linux without Linus - Linus apologies and is taking time off

rcmaehl

Source:

CNBC
Slashdot

TL;DR:
Linus Torvalds says he's taking time off and apologizes for 'unprofessional and uncalled for' behavior

Quotes/Excerpts:

Creator of ... Linux, Linus Torvalds, is taking time off and apologizing for his "unprofessional and uncalled for" behavior.. said... Sunday. "I need to change some of my behavior, and I want to apologize to the people that my personal behavior hurt and possibly drove away from kernel development entirely,"... "I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to understand people's emotions and respond appropriately." "This is not some kind of 'I'm burnt out, I need to just go away' break. I'm not feeling like I don't want to continue maintaining Linux. Quite the reverse,"... "I very much *do* want to continue to do this project that I've been working on for almost three decades."

On Sunday, Linus Torvalds spoke about... a chance to realize "that I really had been ignoring some fairly deep-seated feelings in the community." Torvalds apologized for hurting people with his behavior over the years, and possibly driving some people "away from kernel development entirely." On that end, said Torvalds, "I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to understand people's emotions and respond appropriately."

"It's one thing when you can ignore these issues. Usually it's just something I didn't want to deal with. This is my reality. I am not an emotionally empathetic kind of person and that probably doesn't come as a big surprise to anybody. Least of all me. The fact that I then misread people and don't realize (for years) how badly I've judged a situation and contributed to an unprofessional environment is not good. This week people in our community confronted me about my lifetime of not understanding emotions. My flippant attacks in emails have been both unprofessional and uncalled for. Especially at times when I made it personal. In my quest for a better patch, this made sense to me. I know now this was not OK and I am truly sorry. 

The above is basically a long-winded way to get to the somewhat painful personal admission that hey, I need to change some of my behavior, and I want to apologize to the people that my personal behavior hurt and possibly drove away from kernel development entirely.I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to understand people's emotions and respond appropriately."

My Thoughts:

Linus is well known for being very direct with people and being the forefront of kernel development for the base of thousands of enterprise level systems is pretty stressful. I hope he gets much needed time off.

For Those Not Familiar with Other Linuses:

image.png.2324047fc35a728ce6c954d950f07afa.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

About time. Hes already been disowned by a huge amount of the devs, he should have realized this long ago. 

Looks like he might have had a lot of stress, good he's taking a break.

I felt like his rants at times were at least a spotlight to problems and were good for the development of the kernel. But at the same time, if this was his general behavior, then yeah, it is grating to have to deal with it all the time.

And then this part makes me sad (from the Ars Technica report)

In contrast, many denizens of the /r/Linux subreddit are unimpressed, dismissing the code of conduct as made up by a "completely insane and bigoted individual," and claiming that "millenial [sic] snowflakes finally got to him."

Can we also ask Richard Stallman to take some time off and learn not to be such an absolutist?

Seriously: he's so trapped by his ideology that a Chinese iPhone user has more real-world freedom than he does.

Just now, DVA said:

There's suit Linus!!

and then there's cat ear Linus.. 10/10

The cat ear headphone video is the best LTT video hands-down.

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

He holds the Linux Trademark and a controlling stake in what goes in HIS Linux. Why asshat gets to be an asshat.

14 minutes ago, AshKetchup said:

Lol just use Windows, problem solved

Some of us like to have more control over our PC and OS. 

11 minutes ago, AshKetchup said:

I'd be stressed too if my operating system couldn't run any games :/

You must have never heard of Steam or GoG. There are thousands, including many triple-A titles. And then there's the Proton beta feature as part of Steam Play that was just announced, which allows any for Windows-only game to run in Linux (I've tested it with a few so far and yes, it works). Please stop spreading misinformation. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just now, MEC-777 said:

Some of us like to have more control over our PC and OS. 

You must have never heard of Steam or GoG. There are thousands, including many triple-A titles. And then there's the Proton beta feature as part of Steam Play that was just announced, which allows any for Windows-only game to run in Linux (I've tested it with a few so far and yes, it works). Please stop spreading misinformation. 

Not all Steam games work on Linux

Just now, VegetableStu said:

- Professional Equipment Drop-tester

He hates Nvidia? Why?

1 minute ago, AshKetchup said:

He hates Nvidia? Why?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=nvidia-linux-rant-three-years

Just now, AshKetchup said:

I never said they all work. You said Linux couldn't run any. I was addressing that claim as being false. There are thousands that do work natively in Linux. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

24 minutes ago, AshKetchup said:

apparently you didn't see this video, you can definitely game on linus

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, AshKetchup said:

Lol that explains why no games run on Linux xD

You do realize the current state of Nvidia drivers for Linux are pretty much on-par with Windows drivers... lol

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

- Professional Equipment Drop-tester

image.png.9151fb74e5a99c2d3323b7c14045f4ac.png

Copyright 2018-Forever. OC Donut Steel. Violators will be reported to the EU

Better?

12 minutes ago, AshKetchup said:

33 minutes ago, AshKetchup said:

Do you even read what you type before posting?

Also, Linux is just the kernel - not a full OS by modern standards.

7 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

image.png.9151fb74e5a99c2d3323b7c14045f4ac.png

Copyright 2018-Forever. OC Donut Steel. Violators will be reported to the EU

Better?

LUL

On topic, I don't think this is a huge deal - he'll most likely be back soon, more pissed off than ever ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

To keep this thread within a mile of the rails, I hope he gets his issues worked out and comes back soon

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

30 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Can we also ask Richard Stallman to take some time off and learn not to be such an absolutist?

Seriously: he's so trapped by his ideology that a Chinese iPhone user has more real-world freedom than he does.

I think he has to be, being the founder of the GNU project and all the things GPL stands for.

But I don't agree with its ideals. To paraphrase a software developer who released some application (I keep thinking it was Paku Paku, but it wasn't) as public domain: What's the point of shouting "Freedom!" when your license consists of pages on pages of legalese?

18 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

You do realize the current state of Nvidia drivers for Linux are pretty much on-par with Windows drivers... lol

Hell, even the AMD drivers aren't rubbish on Linux. I'm honestly grateful that driver support has improved a lot in Linux distros in the past few years.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

46 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Taking time off from his work and changing his ideology aren't really related... and honestly I'd rather he reconsidered his stance on pedophilia than his free software manifesto.

As for being "trapped", as long as it's his own choice to do what he does, he's as free as anyone (and arguably more so). Making choices doesn't mean giving up your freedom.

12 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What's the point of shouting "Freedom!" when your license consists of pages on pages of legalese?

Freedom does not mean anarchy. "You can't enslave other people", for instance, is a law that protects freedom despite limiting your actions. If you don't like the GPL you can always use the MIT license, which just says you can do whatever you want with the code - just don't complain if someone modifies it, doesn't publish the changes and sells his version.

Not that I agree with everything RMS and the FSF say, not by a long shot, but on this point I think they're right. In fact, if anything the GPL 3 license is too permissive in my opinion. There's a reason the Linux kernel still uses GPL 2.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

People complain about him, but did you ever receive a completely stupid pull request? Now imagine hundreds/thousands. 
Imagine working on something for 30 years, trying to make the best you can and people sending subpar patches and/or not following the coding standards.

A bunch of people takes as personal when it isn't. Just fix whatever you wanted to send, make it comply with the standards and send again.

Sure, but L.T. is also a bit of a dick. He admits this himself; it's just a flaw he has. His rants may not be intended as personal, but they're often needlessly aggressive and offensive towards contributors.

11 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hell, even the AMD drivers aren't rubbish on Linux. I'm honestly grateful that driver support has improved a lot in Linux distros in the past few years.

Yep, and AMD's drivers are open source now too.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*