Companies not accepting currency

Beef Boss

In America at least, and where I live at least, some places don't accept 100 dollar bills or even 50 dollar bills. 

Isn't this like, illegal? It's legal tender you should not have the choice to deny it. Like our subway takes those bills... It's like some places don't take these bills but what if your total is 50 dollars or more?? 

Like paying in just change too, people try to deny that which should be illegal though cumbersome. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I mean cant seller/owners/stores deny service to people?

Magical Pineapples

While I’m not sure about the USA, In Europe many places have maximum amounts you can pay in, for example, Most supermarkets do not accept €500 euro notes. Buses here will only accept notes up to €20. From what I understand this is to reduce the float needed each day, therefore minimising chances of robbery by leaving less in the till

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

Normally these companies don't like to accept high value notes as they can be counterfeit.

If someone walked in with $1000 in counterfeit cash and bought the GTX 6969 for $1000, then that company would have lost $1000 from that sale as the notes aren't real and the bank won't accept counterfeit notes.

hi.

Nope. There's no Federal law that states businesses have to accept all US currency. That's a fallacy.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Normally these companies don't like to accept high value notes as they can be counterfeit.

If someone walked in with $1000 in counterfeit cash and bought the GTX 6969 for $1000, then that company would have lost $1000 from that sale as the notes aren't real and the bank won't accept counterfeit notes.

We have ways of testing it. Like those markers or checking for that silver strip. 

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Nope. There's no Federal law that states businesses have to accept all US currency. That's a fallacy.

Well that's just loss of business on their part then. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

4 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

We have ways of testing it. Like those markers or checking for that silver strip. 

You might say that but usually people just accept it and pay using card or go to bank or other place to break up the cash.

Magical Pineapples

11 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

Maybe, but it's not as bad as the alternatives.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Personally I feel if you have the change to accept the bill, then you should accept it. Like not accepting money sounds like quite counter-intuitive. If you can't process the change then its pretty fair. 

Most buses these days use an oyster or snapper card which is better than cash. I hardly carry around cash anymore. 

Not accepting that currency is actually illegal as far as I know.

Saying "we can't make change for this" is a factual statement. You can give them that $100 bill, but you won't get any change back. They usually say "we can't make change" or have a sign saying "no bills larger than X", which is not necessarily saying "We don't accept american currency....in america"

Unless you can find an example of them being able to make change for it, and not accepting it anyways.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Neither are illegal, and there are reasons for both.

Paying in change requires someone to count it, which takes more time and costs more money. Samsung once lost a lawsuit to Apple, paid what they had to pay Apple in nickles, and Apple ended up spending more money counting Samsung's payment than they took in from that payment.

Paying in large bills does bring up the issue of counterfeiting, but it also requires that registers maintain enough denominations to make change for large bills. That's a decent bit of money, and can be a few hundred or constantly refilling the register.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Neither are illegal, and there are reasons for both.

Paying in change requires someone to count it, which takes more time and costs more money. Samsung once lost a lawsuit to Apple, paid what they had to pay Apple in nickles, and Apple ended up spending more money counting Samsung's payment than they took in from that payment.

Paying in large bills does bring up the issue of counterfeiting, but it also requires that registers maintain enough denominations to make change for large bills. That's a decent bit of money, and can be a few hundred or constantly refilling the register.

What about not being able to make change for said bill? If you want to give that company $100 for a $25 item, that's on you isn't it?

34 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

In America at least, and where I live at least, some places don't accept 100 dollar bills or even 50 dollar bills. 

Isn't this like, illegal? It's legal tender you should not have the choice to deny it. Like our subway takes those bills... It's like some places don't take these bills but what if your total is 50 dollars or more?? 

Like paying in just change too, people try to deny that which should be illegal though cumbersome. 

it is legal. there is a clause in the law specifically allowing this. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's only for a debt not for a store.

Interesting distinction.

So if one attempted to pay for an item, the store refused to accept the bill, if you took the item, left the bill, and left the store with the item..... what happens?

You technically paid, your technically overpaying, you have taken the item, thus meaning you owe or are in debt to them for X amount of dollars, which you gave them more than that so..... ?

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

What about not being able to make change for said bill? If you want to give that company $100 for a $25 item, that's on you isn't it?

No, if you give someone $100 for something valued at $25 and listed as $25, they're obligated to give you a combined $100 between goods and currency, unless you relieve them of said obligation (keep the change). If they can't break a large denomination, they're obligated to not continue the sale, unless, again, you relieve them of said obligation.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

No, if you give someone $100 for something valued at $25 and listed as $25, they're obligated to give you a combined $100 between goods and currency, unless you relieve them of said obligation (keep the change). If they can't break a large denomination, they're obligated to not continue the sale, unless, again, you relieve them of said obligation.

That's what I was asking essentially.

If you decide to pay that much over, that's on you an no longer the company/store/person. So denying sale on the basis that they can't make that change, is legal.

I worked at a grocery store and a fresh till started with $200 if I got a customer buying a $5 item with a $100 bill. I would be fucked if someone else bought something for way less than what they're paying with. I'd have to get change made pretty much as soon as possible.

Some places simply don't have that luxury. I was even more fucked if I would get more than 1 person taking out cash with their debit card.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

If you decide to pay that much over, that's on you an no longer the company/store/person. So denying sale on the basis that they can't make that change, is legal.

Yup.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I worked at a grocery store and a fresh till started with $200 if I got a customer buying a $5 item with a $100 bill. I would be fucked if someone else bought something for way less than what they're paying with. I'd have to get change made pretty much as soon as possible.

Some places simply don't have that luxury. I was even more fucked if I would get more than 1 person taking out cash with their debit card.

I struggled at the state run liquor store I worked at with shit like this. We couldn't have more than $50 combined change in our tills at any time.

In a resort area.

Frequented by rich people from DC.

Like, $1000 bottle of scotch kind of rich.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

I struggled at the state run liquor store I worked at with shit like this. We couldn't have more than $50 combined change in our tills at any time.

In a resort area.

Frequented by rich people from DC.

Yeah towards the end of my time at that grocery store, they had implemented a thing that would prevent a register from doing anymore transactions and locking out and needing an override from a CSM every transaction when the register got to like $1000, the service desk was a fair bit higher. I've counted like up to almost $2,500 once iirc from a service desk till.

Funny that people actually think criminals will forge the largest bills. Since basically every shop will test larger bills it'd be a dumb move. In Europe the most forged bills are 20s and 50s. It is entirely valid to deny payment with unproportionally large bills. Let's say you need to pay 3,90 and you're trying to pay with 100 bucks the amount of change will deplete cash registers very quickly. If you need to pay 96 bucks then at least in Europe most places will accept 100€ bills. There's rarely a reason though to have a 500€ bill on you – which is actually the reason the European Central Bank decided to abolish those bills after 2018. Fake bills aren't the reason though. EVERY shop that gets a 500€ bill will check it. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Just now, Inx said:

You know that didn't actually happen, right?  I worked at Apple during that time.  That most certainly is not true.

Damn, that would've been hilarious.

1 minute ago, Inx said:

You know that didn't actually happen, right?  I worked at Apple during that time.  That most certainly is not true.

Yeah, but that story is more fun when its Samsung and Apple and not some asshole and the DMV.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

45 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

Under US Federal law no business has to take US currency, as in money. You can find that info on the US Treasury's website. Many businesses dont take $100 bills because ass hole people print their own. We have issues in the Metro Detroit area where they take $1, $5, and $10 bills and wash the ink off and print as a bigger bill. "Washed Bills" are harder to detect as the bill check pens DONT work on them. Not all businesses are going to buy the machines to detect counterfeit, as those machines are like $80 a piece. 

At my job we had 2 people give us 3 fake $20's. Its a big problem. We have people get hissy and pissy when we tell them, we dont take big bills, go to the gas station and get change. If you dont like it, FUCK OFF. Unfortunately businesses has to treat customers like lying thieves, because most of them are. Oh any a friend I know that works at the Secrit Service said she once got a counterfeit bill at the bank. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.