Why do people hate Windows 8 ??

Cyber023

It's a tablet OS with a poor desktop UI, used by MSoft fanboys and people that like to feel superior to others on internet forums

I like windows 8 mainly because it was on the first pc I ever actually owned myself and before that i used a mac so I like it mainly because the only windows version I have used the most before 8 was xp 

if you right click the left bottom corner in win8 you get almost all the old functions from the start menu and more, only thing missing is the 10 most used apps, if you really need to use those 10, make a shortcut or pin it to the taskbar or something else.

the lack of the old startbutton menu is not a problem at all since all the functions is pretty much still there :)

and last if you dont like the metro interface, DONT use it, simple! in 8.1 you can set it to boot to desktop and then you just have to make sure you use the right programs to open files, pictures, music and the rest. Easy :)

wow Iv ehad windows 8 for a year now and i never realized that now I like 8 even more than I already did

I don't hate it, but it's more suited to touchscreen devices, which is lacking in the desktop area (aside from AIO's). 

People say "just install Startisback" but that only confirms Microsoft's screwup. Metro is too far ahead of desktops. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

The problem at least for me is that 8 seems like it'd work a lot better for a touchscreen. If you have a touchscreen I'd recommend it over 7, but if you don't I'd stick with 7.

The UI on 7 seems better to me, but it's  just opinion. Go with whichever system you feel comfortable with.

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

I have still to try it on desktop but overall its a good experience on my Surface Pro. Its just different. Now there are some things that are confusing but I think those can get ironed out over time through updates.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

People don't like it because of mouse gestures and touch designed interfaces.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Adding a start button to windows 8 is like eating steak well done..... its just not right. Windows 8 stock is so much better than windows 7, and the modern UI is much more efficient than windows shell was.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Here just listen to this video for about 5 seconds

http://youtu.be/5KvZ-KQWuJM?t=28s

from 0:28 to 0:32, this is why people hate windows 8.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

1. Same kernel as 7 and is really just a GUI upgrade that we hate 

2. Offers no speedup in anything outside of one broken game (BF4). Unparking cores in Windows 7 gets you slightly faster performance in all other games then Windows 8 because you have less bloat

3. Low level API's will make Direct X and MS's monopoly and forced upgrades pointless

4. Multitasking is horrible

5. Support atm is horrible (not Windows 8 fault, happens on every new version)

6. MS employees and shareholders spam message boards trying to sell it with half truths, misinformation and outright lies

So...if you want horrible multitasking and broken support for productivity applications, which makes it pointless for WORK, 1fps more in a broken game, and the same speed or slower in all other games? Win 8 is fantastic. 

Now the good things about Windows 8.

1.It boots faster. This matters if you don't know what the sleep option is on your desktop. It is nice for tablets/laptops

2, See 1

I don't know if I agree that the kernel didn't have any changes..

Because Windows 8 has a tablet feel to it. (Random person: but Windows 8 has a desktop) Yes, I know but I do even want to think tablet when I'm at home on my desktop. Microsoft just needs to bring back the Desktop and just add features to it while reducing the amount of power it takes to run it.

In my own personal experience, I've had a major problem with Windows 8 somehow utilizing my hard drives 100% when gaming for no reason whatsoever.

It made my games unplayable and downright slow, I've reverted back to Windows 7 because it was that severe.

Otherwise, it was a solid OS when booting straight into Desktop mode and having ClassicShell/StartIsBack, etc.

This is just npt going to go anywhere good fast... :(

Because you have to mod it to make it non retarded and it doesn't add enough new features to justify upgrading, and it looks like shit.

It gives me nothing over what win 7, i have win8 on my phone and i hate it there too.

Last I checked, modding disabled people because they're retarded in your opinion is not a valid legal defence, and can land you with discrimination charges quite quickly. Also, Windows Phone 8 is NOT comparable to Windows 8 in any way other than the UI. That is similar to comparing iOS to OSX, or French Fries to Poutine.

Well, first of all its ugly as fuck without any 3rd party software to come to the rescue, second, most people already have win7 which is basically the same only a bit slower. and last but not least, i (for example) really hate having to rely on some software from other companies to boot with every startup. But thats just me, i guess...

Ugly as what? I mean, I understand the new girl's got a different vibe and she sure dresses differently than everyone else, but that doesn't give you the right to be an asshole until you get to know her. Oh well, another girlfriend for me, one less for you.

Windows 8 took away features, notably shadow copy & the start menu, for no good reason. Plus laying metro everywhere makes people sick. And in my experience, it is much more prone to crashing than Windows 7.

However, I have deployed it onto my desktop and laptop with Startisback. So I would deal with the crap that Windows 8 gives every now and then and enjoy the battery gains/better performance, among other improvements.

This is what's holding me back, other than touchscreen usage. I get the need to add features, like Storage spaces. That's an excellent idea for spanning all your content amongst tons of drives. But on a laptop, I'd still like to use Shadow Copies to manage my backups please. Yes I know technically they're not backups and if my drive fails I'm screwed. On the other hand if I accidentally delete a file using <SHIFT>+<DELETE> I'd like some way to recover it please.

It's a tablet OS with a poor desktop UI, used by MSoft fanboys and people that like to feel superior to others on internet forums

Well then sir, I don't suppose you'd fancy a drink? Gin and Tonic? Rum and Coke? Water and OS?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

To be clear, the reason people hate Windows 8 is because of the remarkable changes made to previous versions of the OS. There is nothing wrong with hating that, and complaining that people "have to adapt" are the same people who are probably perfectly okay with Microsoft holding a virtual monopoly on the OS market. After all, if you want to have a gaming PC, it's pretty much either Windows or bust. Gaming hasn't expanded into Linux territory enough to be a feasible competitor, yet.

Now, Windows 8's changes were made based on a bet: touchscreen devices are the way of the future. While this may be true for tablets and smartphones, desktop users and enthusiasts do not feel the same way. Very few people are willing to go out and buy a touchscreen monitor just because Microsoft told them to. These changes are much more bearable with the 8.1 update, but still cannot be completely circumvented except with third-party software. For example, the Start button is back, but not the Start menu. Yeah, screw you too, Microsoft.

These bugbears, however, are hardly enough to snub the OS entirely. The performance and security improvements are worth noting when considering the move to Windows 8. However, the changes to UI only prove detrimental to the operating system, in my opinion. If Microsoft could return the desktop UI in its entirety, then I could recommend Windows 8 without a second thought. It's up to you whether having to deal with a UI optimized not for desktop use, but for touchscreens is worth the improvements in other areas.

I, personally, use Windows 7 because at the time, 8.1 was not a thing. Not to mention that Windows 7 has all of the features I need regardless. I'm willing to take the familiar, navigable UI over the improvements in the newest version of Windows that, honestly, I find negligible.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Last I checked, modding disabled people because they're retarded in your opinion is not a valid legal defence, and can land you with discrimination charges quite quickly. Also, Windows Phone 8 is NOT comparable to Windows 8 in any way other than the UI. That is similar to comparing iOS to OSX, or French Fries to Poutine.

Whatever you say, its still ugly and unintuitive and offer nothing that i want over what the 7 does, if i called people retarded then yes its offensive, if i call a product retarded there is a frigging difference isnt there ?.

Now, Windows 8's changes were made based on a bet: touchscreen devices are the way of the future. While this may be true for tablets and smartphones, desktop users and enthusiasts do not feel the same way. Very few people are willing to go out and buy a touchscreen monitor just because Microsoft told them to.

True, but as touch screen technology drops in price they will become the norm regardless of win 8 (which may or may not be superseded by then anyway), and when they do people will already be used to a stream lined touchscreen os. I feel a very safe bet on MS's behalf.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

True, but as touch screen technology drops in price they will become the norm regardless of win 8 (which may or may not be superseded by then anyway), and when they do people will already be used to a stream lined touchscreen os. I feel a very safe bet on MS's behalf.

You feel differently than I do. When I have a mouse and keyboard at my disposal, I just find touchscreen features arbitrary. Especially if I have to lean over them just to use the touchscreen. It's not all bad, but I feel shoving it onto its users only served to hurt the adoption rate. Notice how people started to care again when Microsoft announced Windows 8.1. I feel that, in a roundabout way, this is a good example of "Use the right tool for the right job."

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

You feel differently than I do. When I have a mouse and keyboard at my disposal, I just find touchscreen features arbitrary. Especially if I have to lean over them just to use the touchscreen. It's not all bad, but I feel shoving it onto its users only served to hurt the adoption rate. Notice how people started to care again when Microsoft announced Windows 8.1. I feel that, in a roundabout way, this is a good example of "Use the right tool for the right job."

Of course,  I can see in the not to distant future that the monitor will be at the front of the desk and the keyboard will only come out for games and word processing.  Until then we are in the awkward transition stage.  where one technology is not quite good enough but the other must be compromised to make room sort of thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Of course,  I can see in the not to distant future that the monitor will be at the front of the desk and the keyboard will only come out for games and word processing.  Until then we are in the awkward transition stage.  where one technology is not quite good enough but the other must be compromised to make room sort of thing.

Like the iPhone when it first launched.

Like the iPhone when it first launched.

i don't understand this one. I don't recall there were any real compromises in the iphone and it wasn't exactly the first in the touchscreen transition.

i don't understand this one. I don't recall there were any real compromises in the iphone and it wasn't exactly the first in the touchscreen transition.

I was being facetious. When it first launched, the iPhone was a joke. Sure, there was tons of hype, but that's never indicative of the quality of a product. In fact, even the other smartphones were quite terrible. But I, myself, just see touchscreens on desktops as dying eventually. Companies will probably just realize that it's a waste of time. And if it does catch on and become good, all the more power to them.

I was being facetious. When it first launched, the iPhone was a joke. Sure, there was tons of hype, but that's never indicative of the quality of a product. In fact, even the other smartphones were quite terrible. But I, myself, just see touchscreens on desktops as dying eventually. Companies will probably just realize that it's a waste of time. And if it does catch on and become good, all the more power to them.

remember this:

iphonehype.jpg

remember this:

iphonehype.jpg

Oh god, that's hilarious. I've actually never seen that picture.

But in the interest of remaining on topic, here's a tl;dr version of Windows 8:

The technology isn't there yet, probably never should be, but Windows 8 still has improvements making it worth your time if you can put up with the terrible and unfitting UI.