What to do with old hardware when you upgrade?

rainbrodash666

I usually give the components to family/friends who need them. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Normally i would keep them, im sort of a hoarder. I have boxes full of cables and circuit boards and wires but i think im going to try and build an HTPC this time around.

Meet my desk toy GPU!

2015-01-12100749_zpscbc94176.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Break it. :ph34r:

This guy knows how to live on the edge 

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

This guy knows how to live on the edge 

I snapped my old motherboard in three pieces because it's a non-standard size.

I snapped my old motherboard in three pieces because it's a non-standard size.

damn O.o now that is really edgy xD

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

Save it, or use them as cool drink coasters.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

I just keep it and wait for other components over time or I just give it to a friend :3 

Sell it, Or make another PC or upgrade another PC with the part, e.g a Home theater PC or a LAN rig

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

I put it in my older computer (the one the kids uses). Then what i remove from it, I put in a drawer, untill i got enough spare parts to build another computer.

And so on and so on

That'd be a Rolex keychain. :lol:

Either sell it if i can, or my brother inherits it. Probably the latter.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

at my school a lot of trading happens, say i have some spare DDR3, but need some DDR2 to upgrade an old rig, we'll trade.

i might also be that guy with 6 fully operational desktops, and 2 laptops :/

pretty much if a piece of hardware gets replaced, it goes to my pool of "tradables" to fix other machines, or trade for components to fix other machines.

Keep it as a backup and sell it later if i can be asked.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I hoard them, I would need another hard drive and a case but with the bits I have I could build another computer

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Just swapped out my GTX 580 for a 980. Sold the 580 on eBay. The guy didn't know how to install it so tried to claim a refund. eBay reliably decided in his favour (despite having no proof that he didn't break the card himself) and decided that they'd take the money from my account once he sent it back.

He never did send it back, fortunately for me.

What I learned is; if you buy something on eBay, you can literally drop it on the floor the moment it arrives, and eBay will take the money from the sellers bank account and give it back to you. It doesn't matter that it's entirely your fault that you broke it.

Safe to say I'm done with eBay after this.