What to do with old hardware when you upgrade?

rainbrodash666

When experimenting in learning how to build computers i would collect old towers from hard rubbish and then disassemble and reassemble after school. Twas good fun :) I also did it with TV's, laptops, and other various electronic items. Then I'd put them back on hard rubbish :P

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Oldest piece of hw in my house is my laptop from 2007. At my parents house there are some older machines. Both working are from 2005 and 2003. Then there's some resqued stuff like floppys and diskets. Plus piles of cables. So when I need something I go look there first.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

...i said it back then...and now again: ' Cartridge CPU ? ...that can't be right !? ' ...and how long did it last, hu ^^

ccpu.jpg

Pentium 2 did this as well

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

I need to take some close up of each CPU but here's a few oldies:

047rr.jpg

Top Left: Super SPARC!, ROSS systems CPU, Cyrix 6x86 120MHz!, Xeon (P3 days) need the exact one (forgot).

Second Row: Auspex Memory Module, another ROSS CPU, SunGX (video chipset) backside below it, microSPARC II, Other side of the Xeon CPU above it

Third Row: AMD Opteron (backside below it), AMD Opteron (I need to go find the exact model on these), Motorola 68020

Fourth Row: Intel Pentium (the first!) backside below it, Pentium w/MMX tech!, Intel Pentium? I forget, Pentium I and backside, Pentium Pro (that was one huge CPU :) , P II or P III (I forget) backside as well, Pentium III, Pentium 4, Pentium 4, Xeon 3.2Ghz (forget the model number)

Fifth Row: Intel i386, Pentium I with Overdrive (check out that super cooler fan!), P II (I think).

Hell yeh nice collection man, Omg u have a 6x86 haha was like my 1st pc I ever worked on.

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

I need to take some close up of each CPU but here's a few oldies:

047rr.jpg

Top Left: Super SPARC!, ROSS systems CPU, Cyrix 6x86 120MHz!, Xeon (P3 days) need the exact one (forgot).

Second Row: Auspex Memory Module, another ROSS CPU, SunGX (video chipset) backside below it, microSPARC II, Other side of the Xeon CPU above it

Third Row: AMD Opteron (backside below it), AMD Opteron (I need to go find the exact model on these), Motorola 68020

Fourth Row: Intel Pentium (the first!) backside below it, Pentium w/MMX tech!, Intel Pentium? I forget, Pentium I and backside, Pentium Pro (that was one huge CPU :) , P II or P III (I forget) backside as well, Pentium III, Pentium 4, Pentium 4, Xeon 3.2Ghz (forget the model number)

Fifth Row: Intel i386, Pentium I with Overdrive (check out that super cooler fan!), P II (I think).

Hell yeh nice collection man' date=' I got some 486's and 386's u could add to that :P[/quote']

I do too! But I need to go dig them out of the storage box, this is the second time I've had a request or desire to post them. I really need to organize them and label them so I remember which is which.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Does any one have a working 286, now that would be amazing to see.

5162-286_zpsa3658670.jpg

I also have a Pentium MMX computer that ran at 200Mhz, its my first computer and still almost use it daily. it has itself 64MB of 72pin EDO ram, 60ns I think.

I had a regular Pentium computer that ran at 133Mhz, but I gave it to my cousin, since he was being stupid and was using a P4 of all things to try and run DOS on.

I have about 3 or more 8-bit ISA Modems. things are useless now.

Got a 16-bit ISA SCSI adapter, I think it was mainly used for scanners, but I'm pretty sure I could hook up a hard drive with it if I wanted to.

I have a few ATI Rage cards, ranging from the IIc to the Rage 128. great for old games using DirectX

Anyone remember Maxtor? Almost every desktop I own has one in it, except my newest PC and my laptops. I've never had an issue with them either, from my experience, they are quiet and reliable. all my drives are from before DiamondMax though, so yeah.

Yeh i got quite a phew working maxtor's as well i never really notcied they phased out until you mentioned it .

Is that your IBM 5160? If so thats awesome.

or is that a stock photo? if its stock, thats not a 286, that's an 8088 ;)

I'm always looking around thrift stores for a 286 or 8088 machine.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I also have a Pentium MMX computer that ran at 200Mhz, its my first computer and still almost use it daily. it has itself 64MB of 72pin EDO ram, 60ns I think.

I had a regular Pentium computer that ran at 133Mhz, but I gave it to my cousin, since he was being stupid and was using a P4 of all things to try and run DOS on.

I have about 3 or more 8-bit ISA Modems. things are useless now.

Got a 16-bit ISA SCSI adapter, I think it was mainly used for scanners, but I'm pretty sure I could hook up a hard drive with it if I wanted to.

I have a few ATI Rage cards, ranging from the IIc to the Rage 128. great for old games using DirectX

Anyone remember Maxtor? Almost every desktop I own has one in it, except my newest PC and my laptops. I've never had an issue with them either, from my experience, they are quiet and reliable. all my drives are from before DiamondMax though, so yeah.

Seagate bought them out, so I guess you may have some Maxtor technologies in some of your Seagate drives :P

Naw its just a stock photo, my bad i thought these ran 286's in them my bad every one. enjoy the classic pic still none the less :P

Oldest system i have is a 486dx running windows 3.1 i would love to get my hands on somthing older.

I have a Complete in box commodore 64 somewhere, it is a 1983 model,

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

well there was a version that basically fitted an AT motherboard with a 286 in an XT case, but those are expensive and pretty rare.

My oldest is 486dx also, I'm thinking of upgrading to a DX2 @ 66mhz instead of 33mhz.

got this one laying here but im keeping it safe for now i have a feeling the Athlon cpus will become wanted in the future

[TABLE=class: dh_table]

[TR]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

AMD Athlon XP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #F0F0F0]

[TD]

Model number ? [/TD]

[TD]

3000+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

CPU part number[/TD]

[TD]

AXDA3000DKV4D[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I have a Radeon 9200(I think it was 2003?) hanging on my door as a door sign.

These are not mine, they belong to my boss:

(sorry for the bad pictures)

20130124090610.th.jpg

20130124090620.th.jpg

20130124090636.th.jpg

20130124090648.th.jpg

20130124090754.th.jpg

20130124090810.th.jpg

20130124090833.th.jpg

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I do it too. I got still a Motorola CPU 2 Mhz form one of my early amiga computers. old apple computers, motherboards, pentium Is . the list goes on.... Its like a museum! Girlfriend doesn't like it doe ;)

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

...i said it back then...and now again: ' Cartridge CPU ? ...that can't be right !? ' ...and how long did it last, hu ^^

ccpu.jpg

@algoat ...na, this is a ( model 2) PLUTO

@Glathier ...yeah, and abandoned as well ^^

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

I guess you could call this old but I've got a better question... http://i.imgur.com/Ii6I5Ku.jpg

How does that even happen?

assumed your question is rhetorical ^^; back in the days the industry was much more artful...

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

Yes, I do, i have a pair of old P2 server CPUs at home a long with then internals of the server they were in. I have a massive box of old scsi drives, a box full of random PCI cards, 3 old win98 era PCs and at uni i have 2 commodore 64s that i saved from being thrown away.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

MY FIRST COMPUTER HAD A 1.3 OR 1.6GHZ ATHLON XP AND 128MB RAN AND A 15GB HDD,SORRY BOUT THE CAPS BUT MY PHONE IS BEING WEIRD.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

MSI 6600GT

5 P4s ranging from 1.6-3.2Ghz 2 of the highest ones have HT

a small 4x4x4 inch box with DDR 133 through to 400

A Tiny PC computer case.

And a Raspberry PI :D

Also new hey

I have a 10gb hard drive that's in use in a computer. Does anyone else still remember IDE? Connecting hard drives and CD-roms in series. :D

I think I have two or three old (10 years at least) computers with IDE.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

The dx2 will allow you to run duke 3d haha

I have a Complete in box commodore 64 somewhere, it is a 1983 model,
still in box? hold on to that until ur dying breath will be worth sumthen.