What to do with old hardware when you upgrade?

rainbrodash666
my friend just bought a brand new 4870 for his gaming pc for the same price as a brand new HD7770 and he can't give me the reasoning behind why he did it. and another person I know bought a brand new gtx 460 three days ago' date=' I am so confused.[/quote']

i guess he must have a reason behind it somewhere, although i find it abit pointless as the 7770 is a better card. hmmmm

maybe the card had sentimental value?

Well, think of it this way, at least it wasn't you. Ha

Well, I once got a 4850 to hold me off until I was able to get a 7950.

"No signature"

Cause they don't know tech. They look at they box, say that looks fast and then they buy it having no idea of what they got. I do know of some people who have bought older chips of not the best ones cause they designed them, but I don't know of any other reason to. Thats why we are here, to make people get the right computer parts

If I could go back to before I worked on my current build, I would buy outdated equipment. By buying older equipment, I would have more money to spend on metalwork and aesthetics, as I really enjoy modding and building your case in your own image.

I kind of understand but what they did but I only try to buy 1 gen maybe 2 out of date so that it is still nice and competitive. and also cheap because it is not the "new toy."

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

I just bought a 2600k (used) and earlier this year I bought a GTX 480. They were both at better price points than modern hardware.

There are several reasons to buy old hardware:

drivers maturing

getting used parts at a discount

getting new parts at a discount

old parts can be superior to new parts in some ways (e.g. Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge when overclocking)

reusing other old parts

he might have not been keeping up with the latest and greatest and bought what he knew at the time was "high end".

i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz at 1.2v (5ghz @ 1.4v max stable) , Radeon HD 7850 @ 1200/1450 Clocks http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/kasmr/, AsRock Z75 Pro3 Mobo, 8gb of 1333mhz ram @ 1600-8-9-8-16.

I have seen stores here that still have 990x for 1.1k USD, which is nuts for an old chip.

Maybe they are just waiting for someone stupid enough to buy it.

Same happens with GTX 580's and stuff

I have seen stores here that still have 990x for 1.1k USD, which is nuts for an old chip.

The 990X can still keep up with a 3930k pretty well, though. It's also an amazing LN2 chip, unlike the 3930k.

The 990X can still keep up with a 3930k pretty well' date=' though. It's also an amazing LN2 chip, unlike the 3930k.[/quote']

But its not worth 1.1k lol

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if anyone knew of some good places to sell your computer parts when you get new ones like motherboards and graphic cards.

AMD FX-8350 OC to 4.5ghz      Evga gtx 660       SilverStone FT03      Samsung 840 128gb  

I use it to set up searches so I don't start threads that already exist.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

sell: craigslist or ebay,

I usuialy try to sell/trade/give it to friends who might need an upgrade, like my friends "gaming pc" it has a HD3670 in it and he plays current steam games at terrible fps/ res and uses that as a reason that consoles are better than pc's

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

• 3 months later...

Today I went to start up old Charlene (my previous PC) and sadly I never made it past POST beep. Diagnosed the problem and it looks like its time to call it a final farewell to her. She is 6 years old 8800GT and needs a good sleep. I can remember the day I got her. Booted Call of Duty 4 and cranked the graphics. Never thought she would go like this. I Just want one more death-match to say goodbye.

We like to hear stories of old hardware and how it has made its place in your heart.

Go ahead and post a reply and bid farewell to favorite hardware or even be so brave as to dig it out of the grave and post a picture of it. 

post-18808-0-78713500-1375074794_thumb.j

I wonder if I could. Evga has good warranties I think. 

a few months ago I lost my old alien ware m7700 (BSOD). Had a P4 HT at 2.8ghz....... soooo hot. and a 6800 ultra. still works but no driver support anywhere. 

My pentium 4 and P4 titan board died latley as well as my not so old 560ti OC as well as a MX440 and FX 5200 :(

i7 3770 | Asus Maximus V Formula | Asus GTX 780 | Corsair H100i | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W | Obsidian 650D | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro

Before I do a lets play I always pour some out for my fallen pentium 4 rig

6791635412_81cfb196b0_z.jpg

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

My 9400gt is still going. Ol reliable

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

8800 series card actually died before my old 7800gt or the 6800ultra. And i don't overclock. keep the stories coming. post what you loved.

RMA it for lulz

I laughed way too hard at this.

Blackout - Intel Core i5-4670K | Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed. | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Mem. | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Mobo | 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660w PSU