Where do you guys stand on Bagpipes?

Tcrumpen

It seems that everyone i talk to hates the sound of bagpipes. However despite not being Scottish (i'm English) i really like the sound, so soulful and beautiful. Heck even a fellow Scottish friend doesn't like them

If you don't at least well up after hearing this piece of beauty then you don't have a grasp of what emotional playing (in general) is in my opinion:

Note this IS loud (As bagpipes are) so don't crank your speakers

I'm Liverpudlian with a few relatives from Scotland and it's weird because they hate it but I absolutely love it! Nothing better for background noise when your playing a fighting game than bagpipe war music

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Just now, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

I'm Liverpudlian with a few relatives from Scotland and it's weird because they hate it but I absolutely love it! Nothing better for background noise when your playing a fighting game than bagpipe war music

"FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMM!!"

I stand to the side of my bagpipe, preferably at chest height.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Well played bagpipes sound pretty nice. Bagpipes being played at a military or police funeral always bring a tear to my eye, so I do appreciate them in that fashion.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Just now, Phentos said:

Well played bagpipes sound pretty nice. Bagpipes being played at a military or police funeral always bring a tear to my eye, so I do appreciate them in that fashion.

Maybe that's why i like them when i've googled for Bagpipe music it's always military Bagpipers (The video i embedded is the Royal Dragoon Guards)

Makes me feel like taking part in a cavalry charge 

That's an F in the profile pic

3 minutes ago, Huriican1 said:

To be brutally honest?

Personally I don't like them and they depress me.

I find them always nerdy and old - fashioned.

And also very sectarian in a negative way.

To be fair, everything depresses you.

2 hours ago, Huriican1 said:

To be brutally honest?

Personally I don't like them and they depress me.

I find them always nerdy and old - fashioned.

And also very sectarian in a negative way.

How do you find bagpipes nerdy?

Old fashioned i can get; because they are old fashioned; but i love that

1 hour ago, kilgore_T said:

about 120 feet away

Why don't you like them?

51 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

Why don't you like them?

I do like them, they just real loud, best heard from a distance through some mist whilst drinking a single malt

I love to crack bagpipe jokes but, when played right, they can be beautiful. I was at the Highland Games in Tucson once around 15-20 years ago when, at sunset, around 40 pipers took the field and began to play. Every bagpipe was perfectly tuned (yes, they can be tuned). They started playing in perfect unison, then broke into two part harmony (the only time I ever heard that done, let alone done well). That and the fact the sunset was one of the more spectacular ones AZ is famous for, made that one of the most beautiful experiences I ever had.

Even though I love the pipes most people are familiar with (when played correctly), my favorite bagpipe (there are many kinds of bagpipes) is the Irish uilleann pipes. They have a haunting sound when played correctly. The uilleann pipes differ from other bag pipes in that they have a bellows strapped to the player who pumps it with an arm to inflate the bag instead blowing through a wind pipe and usually have only one, sometimes two, drones which can be keyed. 

I'll spare you all the bad jokes about Scottish pipes but my favorite (ok, only) joke about the uilleann pipes is that they are the safest instrument to play because they have an airbag and a seat belt.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Bagpipes have to be played well and preferably from a bit of a distance otherwise they're just too loud. My cousin is a champion 'piper and my uncle also plays.

When I was studying in the Netherlands many years ago I went out for a walk one evening and was surprised to hear bagpipes - someone was practising in one of the university car parks (I assume to be considerate to their room-mates).

Also - Bagpipes – A Weapon of War! xD