iPad Pro 2018, No Headphone Jack

11 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Maybe I'm a little biased towards being interested in going with wireless headphones because it's something I'm considering (like a nice pair of Bose wireless headphones). But Apple does include an adapter, I know it's not ideal. But it's not like you *can't* use regular headphones. Also, I guess I've noticed the fact that is I don't really charge and listen to music with headphones/earbuds too often on my S8+, it sure is nice to have it. But I could live without it. and I mean wireless headphones are kinda cool

I dunno, Bluetooth and headphones that use it have gotten better over the years.

It's not that you can't make it work, or that I wouldn't want it to support bluetooth - it's just that they're removing a feature for no good reason (at least as far as their customers are concerned) in a very expensive device and then giving you an adapter, completely defeating any portability advantage they might have gained by removing the jack.

In my opinion, when you spend 900$+ on a device you shouldn't have to "live without it" unless there's a VERY good reason.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Yes, throwing more accessories at a 900$+ device solves its design deficiencies. Who'd have thought. Maybe if it came with a wireless charger this would be a better excuse.

Oh don't get me wrong I 100% agree with you, but it is a solution.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Apple : Having the courage to make you buy $100 wireless earbuds that you have to fucking charge since 2016

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Time to buy an inch-thick case? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, schwellmo92 said:

There's only so much DAC you can fit in a mobile device, you're better off with a digital device that can fit a higher quality DAC

Few things.

1. If it has a speaker, it has a DAC.
  2. No set of wireless headphones has a better DAC than a cheap phone. Bluetooth counters any increase in quality over dirt cheap DACs.
  3. The iPad has the room for the DAC, so does every iPhone.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

People are complaining about the headphone jack while I'm far more worried about if FaceID makes it to the iPad Pro. Allegedly it only works in Portrait mode, so implementing it into the iPad Pro would be a broken decision.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

But no HP Jack on my X is pissing me of real hard.

*Cackles maniacally in S9.*

In all seriousness, no headphone jack on a "pro" product is ridiculous. Unless the "Pro" is just part of the name and Apple recognizes that this is not a professional product and just names it as such to sound fancy.

They better not claim it's for water resistance. If someone is carrying their iPad near a lake or a pool, they're idiots. If it's for the battery, would a millimeter or so of extra battery length really make that big of a difference? I'd say no. Maybe a few minutes at best.

I don't understand why so many handheld and tablet products are cutting features these days. I used to use an iPhone, and Apple's business practices and continuous detraction from the phone's functionality practically forced me to get a Galaxy S9 in order to continue with the user experience I'm used to and expect from such an expensive device.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

11 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

*Cackles maniacally in S9.*

In all seriousness, no headphone jack on a "pro" product is ridiculous. Unless the "Pro" is just part of the name and Apple recognizes that this is not a professional product and just names it as such to sound fancy.

They better not claim it's for water resistance. If someone is carrying their iPad near a lake or a pool, they're idiots. If it's for the battery, would a millimeter or so of extra battery length really make that big of a difference? I'd say no. Maybe a few minutes at best.

I don't understand why so many handheld and tablet products are cutting features these days. I used to use an iPhone, and Apple's business practices and continuous detraction from the phone's functionality practically forced me to get a Galaxy S9 in order to continue with the user experience I'm used to and expect from such an expensive device.

those minutes could be the difference of them being able to say over 9 hours or just simply 10 hours battery life.

Also, I have an S8+.
I wouldn't say that just having a headphone jack makes it any better or worse than an iPhone 8+.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

If this is true, then it looks like the iPad Pro 2nd gen will be the *only* iPad I ever own. 

54 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I wouldn't say that just having a headphone jack makes it any better or worse than an iPhone 8+.

Do I take a one-way ticket to Dongle City to use my $250 headphones that I am absolutely not replacing, or do I just buy a phone that has more features?

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

Just now, Emberstone said:

Do I take a one-way ticket to Dongle City to use my $250 headphones that I am absolutely not replacing, or do I just buy a phone that has more features?

ah see, I'm not in that position of having super expensive headphones that are wired. Not everyone is in that position. But I understand/

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

You have to kindle the Apple Store bonfires as far as they'll go. 

#ObviousJoke

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 hours ago, Keg Ops said:

be grateful you have any sort of port at all 

it's not a huge deal for me

Not a great way of thinking, that's all I'll say.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

nope, the iPad is just a big iPhone without cellular. (better known as a tablet, although that line is fading)

you can have cellular - I do on mine. Actually helpful for travel

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

11 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You have to kindle the Apple Store bonfires as far as they'll go. 

#ObviousJoke

In Apple's domain, there are no bonfires.

The flame has been snuffed out by all the refurb boards they bake.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

I can understand it being removed from the iPhone, and it hasn't really bother me in my day to day use. However with the iPad I can't think of any reason why you would need to remove it.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

I am more against this than them removing it in the iphone. Phones are much more strapped for estate. Their "reasoning" was believable in that sense even though we all knew they wanted to drive manufacturers to the lightning standard or put W chips in their products and pay royalties to use them. 

The thing is, they have been using the ipad pro to push developers to make more professional oriented apps onto the ios app store. It had been successful in that regard. In removing the headphone jack they can start saying goodbye to professionals working with sound production. I guess apples definition of "pro" now just means you carry dongles with you wherever you go. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

56 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

The dongle that Apple provides is very good quality (I haven't broken one despite almost 2 years of abuse now) and it has a DAC that is better than many standalone DACs.  

The bitch is when you want to listen to music while charging.  You can't do it unless you have a lightning dock (which I just have 1 at each of my desks).  All of the third party lightning spliters / dongles get shit reviews.

Strange Parts also proved that you can put a headphone jack back in a phone.  The "we needed more room" was bullshit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfbE3_uAMA

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

Just like with the iphone, I would be ok with this if they had replaced it with a usb-c port. This way it's just silly and a way to force you to buy apple licensed headphones if you don't want to deal with the problems of bluetooth. Oh, and charging a device while listening to music is CLEARLY overrated... #courage

The way I deal with my bluetooth headphones is take them out of the case and put them in my ear? I don't see how thats different from wired headphones. This isn't 2005 anymore. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

The way I deal with my bluetooth headphones is take them out of the case and put them in my ear? I don't see how thats different from wired headphones. This isn't 2005 anymore. 

2005 or not you still need to charge them, if you use them with multiple devices they don't always autoconnect, they are more expensive than their cabled counterparts and having bt always on drains your device's battery faster.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

2005 or not you still need to charge them, if you use them with multiple devices they don't always autoconnect, they are more expensive than their cabled counterparts and having bt always on drains your device's battery faster.

And audio quality coming out of bluetooth chipsets sucks ass.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The battery on by PowerBeats 3 lasts for 12 hours, and my AirPods last for several days, the AirPods always auto-connect and both of these headsets were under $200 AUD. I have my bluetooth always on for my smart watch anyway so it's a non-issue. Just keep your stuff plugged in at night when you aren't using them like everything else.

44 minutes ago, RotoCoreOne said:

Well, my usb-c to 3.5mm jack broke today. RIP

could have been worse

could have been the usb-c port on your phone to break down. 

Considering that that port gets used twice as much compared to a device that as both a charging/data port and an headphone jack 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

The battery on by PowerBeats 3 lasts for 12 hours, and my AirPods last for several days

My VModa M100s last indefinitely.

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

keep your stuff plugged in at night when you aren't using them like everything else.

What about those that don't keep things plugged in at night or are forgetful?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.