iPad Pro 2018, No Headphone Jack

36 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

My VModa M100s last indefinitely.

What about those that don't keep things plugged in at night or are forgetful?

Maybe they often forget to plug their headphones in to listen as well.

Why are people still buying these? Sure, iPad's are extremely simplistic and Android offerings are horrible. But for $800 for the current offering, I'd rather just get a Surface Pro or laptop. I feel like tablets are getting the point of being pointless.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

48 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

The battery on by PowerBeats 3 lasts for 12 hours, and my AirPods last for several days

Cabled headphones last until they break and you don't need to ever think about it.

48 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

the AirPods always auto-connect and both of these headsets were under $200 AUD.

Too expensive for a lot of people, especially since the beats in particular aren't exactly known for their sound quality.

49 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I have my bluetooth always on for my smart watch anyway so it's a non-issue.

For you.

50 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Just keep your stuff plugged in at night when you aren't using them like everything else.

Or don't if you have no reason to.

I'm not saying bluetooth headphones are bad and you shouldn't buy them, I'm saying there are reasons to prefer a cabled set.

57 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

And audio quality coming out of bluetooth chipsets sucks ass.

That would depend on the headphones you buy and what you connect them to, but that can indeed be an issue.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

53 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Just keep your stuff plugged in at night when you aren't using them like everything else.

Not everyone wants to charge everything in their life. And there have been times when I forgot to charge my BT headphones or my cable wasnt in fully and went to use them and completely useless. But I have wired I can ALWAYS go back too. 

15 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Maybe they often forget to plug their headphones in to listen as well.

That can br aleviated on the fly.

By plugging one's headphones in.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The dongle that Apple provides is very good quality (I haven't broken one despite almost 2 years of abuse now) and it has a DAC that is better than many standalone DACs.  

The bitch is when you want to listen to music while charging.  You can't do it unless you have a lightning dock (which I just have 1 at each of my desks).  All of the third party lightning spliters / dongles get shit reviews.

Strange Parts also proved that you can put a headphone jack back in a phone.  The "we needed more room" was bullshit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfbE3_uAMA

I don't want any dongles at all. I just want to plug my headphones into my phone.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Cabled headphones last until they break and you don't need to ever think about it.

Thats very true but I don't think about it because I just plug everything in at night. It will get more convenient with wireless charging. 

Too expensive for a lot of people, especially since the beats in particular aren't exactly known for their sound quality.

If you are buying a high-end phone with no headphone jack, then you can probably afford nice headphones. It's like putting a cheap case on an iPhone or MacBook, they are expensive devices, why buy anything cheap?

For you.

It's not that much of a battery drain, especially for flagship devices like these - the new iPad will probably have a large capable battery anyway. 

Or don't if you have no reason to.

You buy these for a portable device? You're going to be plugging something in at night. 

I'm not saying bluetooth headphones are bad and you shouldn't buy them, I'm saying there are reasons to prefer a cabled set.

Thats true and these are all very valid reasons, but now it's beginning to turn differently and wireless is the future. Wireless headphones sound great, and are more compatible than ever before. If you have the money (Which if you buy a flagship device - which will probably not have a headphone jack now), it's definitely a game changer. Theres definitely certain applications, such as sound editing - which one might expect to do on an iPad Pro, that would be applicable to a cabled headphones. However if you are carrying around those large, clunky headphones (And a 13" tablet), then the small adapter really isn't so bad. 

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That can br aleviated on the fly.

By plugging one's headphones in.

The new AirPods charging case is an ideal solution. 

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

The new AirPods charging case is an ideal solution. 

Only if you made the mistake of buying an iPhone intending to be able to listen to music with it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Bluetooth audio less than 2m away from my computer and other devices (with or without wifi physically enabled). Prone to cutting out regardless of headphones or transmitter, and occasionally glitching than playing back audio delayed by up to 20 seconds. BT is still not ready for the removal of the headphone jack, and if Apple does remove the HP jack-well they are just showing that they really do think their customers are complete morons.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Only if you made the mistake of buying an iPhone intending to be able to listen to music with it.

It works very well for listening to music?

I'm not sure what the benefit is of defending the removal of a very current and very widely used feature.   I would understand if its existence was hindering other features but this is not the case.   Is this the apple mindset that Louis R is ranting about?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It works very well for listening to music?

It's adequate at best, and an unecessary expense for an inferior solution.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Brehohn said:

Why are people still buying these? Sure, iPad's are extremely simplistic and Android offerings are horrible. But for $800 for the current offering, I'd rather just get a Surface Pro or laptop. I feel like tablets are getting the point of being pointless.

I recently got the 10.5" model (though for less than $800) for browsing and listening to music whenever I'm not at my desk. Beyond that, I use it for basic text editing when in the library. It's probably one of the best devices I've ever owned.

As for the removal of the headphone jack, it's a pity, but I'm not sure I've ever used wired headphones with either this iPad or my last one.

5 hours ago, Emberstone said:

*Cackles maniacally in S9.*

In all seriousness, no headphone jack on a "pro" product is ridiculous. Unless the "Pro" is just part of the name and Apple recognizes that this is not a professional product and just names it as such to sound fancy.

They better not claim it's for water resistance. If someone is carrying their iPad near a lake or a pool, they're idiots. If it's for the battery, would a millimeter or so of extra battery length really make that big of a difference? I'd say no. Maybe a few minutes at best.

I don't understand why so many handheld and tablet products are cutting features these days. I used to use an iPhone, and Apple's business practices and continuous detraction from the phone's functionality practically forced me to get a Galaxy S9 in order to continue with the user experience I'm used to and expect from such an expensive device.

I can livee with it... i now have lighting headphones and thy sound even better.

Plus In my opinion and for my usecase the Apple universe is perfect

(for gaming and OC not this i do on my win box)

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

54 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

I can livee with it...

I'd venture to say the fact that it's something people have to "live with" is an indication that it shouldn't be.

There's no reason not to have one. That's why I have a problem with it. What are you gaining by losing the headphone jack?

Apple isn't "thinking different" here. They're thinking wrong.

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

10 hours ago, Emberstone said:

I'd venture to say the fact that it's something people have to "live with" is an indication that it shouldn't be.

There's no reason not to have one. That's why I have a problem with it. What are you gaining by losing the headphone jack?

Apple isn't "thinking different" here. They're thinking wrong.

They are pushing inovation!

They where the first to ditch Floppy and CD
Does annyone care about Floppy and cd annymore? NOPE

Same will (in the LONG term) happen to the HPJ

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

39 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

What innovation?

That's like removing USB ports, but not having USB-C to replace them.

It's just gone. Your phone has less functionality without the headphone jack.

Why are dongles more innovative than a dedicated port? Why should I be forced to use Bluetooth headphones (which suffer from occasional interference, and they can't be used continually as they have to be charged), or buy dongles?

Current Build:

Current Laptop:

Old PC:

42 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

I care about optic drives, they are still widely used in many industries.  MRI are still sent home on dvd, recording studios still burn and use cds for mastering purposes.  Last time I went into a music store the shelves were still lined with CD's.  Streaming might be the thing that ends music cd's but that isn't for a long while yet.  HP jacks are still very legitimate features that people want, I only hope that just because the average iphone/ipad user doesn't need them  doesn't send a message to the rest of the industry making it look like a trend, because apple using their marketing and brand forces to prematurely obsolete a still very wanted feature is not helpful.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

42 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Just imagine removing all of your PC ports (including power), and just replaced by ONE universal port. See how's that innovation.

No, I still prefer watching TV series or movie on my bluray, especially those collector's item.

Except Bethesda or Valve, I still buy physical copies, and install them, rather than waiting 30+ gigs and additional 4gigs+ for update., meanwhile, I can just easily install the first version of the game, in less than an hour, and additional 4gigs+ update.

14 hours ago, Brehohn said:

As someone who has used both extensively, I wouldn't touch a Surface unless I absolutely needed some Windows feature. As a whole the experience with an iPad was far better.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Metallus97 said:

Here's the thing, when they abandoned floppy and CD, there were better alternatives AND they were no longer being used en masse.

Whereas 3.5mm TRRS is still the best solution for headphones and speakers, and it's still the most used port for that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

18 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Not a great way of thinking, that's all I'll say.

Not a great way to quote either since I just said right after that you'd think they'd keep it around on a tablet, but Apple is known for removing ports & drives anyway. 

They should just name it the iPad "pro" 

Maybe next year they'll have an iPad "pro" pro that actually has features a pro needs

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

3 hours ago, Keg Ops said:

Not a great way to quote either since I just said right after that you'd think they'd keep it around on a tablet, but Apple is known for removing ports & drives anyway. 

Seems you missed the point of my quote entirely. I was pointing out that you said we should be "grateful" for features on a device that we pay hundreds of dollars for. That's a worrying way of thinking that I see way too often, it's the same way of thinking that lets companies like Apple pull shit like this. We consumers shouldn't just be "thankful" that we got basic features on something we paid hundreds, if not thousands for. If anything, they should be "grateful" for our business, but we consumers don't seem to comprehend that.

Hopefully you just messed up and didn't really mean to use the G word.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer