Please help me

Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
1 minute ago, cananythingrunsmoothly said:

I reset the PC because the fresh windows update didn't work but it seems to be working, i did lose all of my apps though. Thanks for your help

Strange!  Never seen a windows update mess up the BIOS that hard. First time for everything I guess.

Glad you got it sorted 🙂

I have been having trouble with my pc for the last day or 2. Firstly, the BIOS was completely corrupted/ messed up so I took the CMOS battery out and that didn't work. I tested each stick of RAM and both of them still had the error. I also reseated the CPU and got rid of the extension card I had. I put on the latest BIOS and it still having issues. I have swapped out all the HDMI cables and am running it just PC to monitor, no inbetween stuff. When i get into windows the whole thing takes 2 seconds and then im back on the lock screen. If there is anything else that I missed please tell me or should I just get a new system or something like that? Thanks in advance.

IMG_0601.jpeg

IMG_0600.jpeg

I also forgot to mention, sometimes the BIOS will be ok but windows not and vice versa.

Specs:

i5-13600k

iGPU

1tb Teamgroup SSD

2x4tb WD blue drives

MSI pro z690-a

noctua NHD15

Do you have secondary bios? If not, you will have to flash the bios for a last-ditch effort.

1 minute ago, ARandomPerson said:

Do you have secondary bios? If not, you will have to flash the bios for a last-ditch effort.

The only thing left to do after that is call a priest

Bachelor of Science, Cybersecurity & Networking

AWS CCP | AWS CSA | CCNA | CEH Pro

6 minutes ago, ARandomPerson said:

He said he tried the latest BIOS already.

11 minutes ago, cananythingrunsmoothly said:

I have been having trouble with my pc for the last day or 2. Firstly, the BIOS was completely corrupted/ messed up so I took the CMOS battery out and that didn't work. I tested each stick of RAM and both of them still had the error. I also reseated the CPU and got rid of the extension card I had. I put on the latest BIOS and it still having issues. I have swapped out all the HDMI cables and am running it just PC to monitor, no inbetween stuff. When i get into windows the whole thing takes 2 seconds and then im back on the lock screen. If there is anything else that I missed please tell me or should I just get a new system or something like that? Thanks in advance.

Are you able to get your hands on a cheap GPU to rule out that the onboard iGPU is faulty?

6 minutes ago, ARandomPerson said:

i already did, twice

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Are you able to get your hands on a cheap GPU to rule out that the onboard iGPU is faulty?

not really, unless i borrow a friends, anything else i can do

6 minutes ago, cananythingrunsmoothly said:

i already did, twice

not really, unless i borrow a friends, anything else i can do

Borrow your friends GPU and try.

You can get a Radeon R7 240 for 30 bucks on Amazon. Can always return it too.

8 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Borrow your friends GPU and try.

You can get a Radeon R7 240 for 30 bucks on Amazon. Can always return it too.

ok, im reinstalling windows right now and then ill try the amazon method

10 minutes ago, cananythingrunsmoothly said:

ok, im reinstalling windows right now and then ill try the amazon method

Its just to rule out that the iGPU could be faulty. If a descrete GPU doesn't not help then it is something else that we need to look into. Mainly a motherboard, CPU or RAM RMA.

Just now, Hinjima said:

Its just to rule out that the iGPU could be faulty. If a descrete GPU doesn't not help then it is something else that we need to look into. Mainly a motherboard, CPU or RAM RMA.

its almost impossible that its ram because I have 2 sticks and when run individually its still messed up (correct me if im wrong) ill look into the other things but will they do it if the stuff is a year old. I didnt do anything and the thing that set this off was a windows update.

its almost impossible that its ram because I have 2 sticks and when run individually its still messed up (correct me if im wrong) ill look into the other things but will they do it if the stuff is a year old. I didnt do anything and the thing that set this off was a windows update.

Then hopefully a windows reinstall that you are doing right now will solve the issue 🙂 If not then we need to do some troubleshooting.

Just because you use different RAM sticks doesn't mean its not RAM related, it could be a faulty memory controller ( this is on the CPU ) etc etc.

Keep us updated! We'll figure this out you know 🙂

Just now, Hinjima said:

Then hopefully a windows reinstall that you are doing right now will solve the issue 🙂 If not then we need to do some troubleshooting.

Just because you use different RAM sticks doesn't mean its not RAM related, it could be a faulty memory controller ( this is on the CPU ) etc etc.

Keep us updated! We'll figure this out you know 🙂

Ok thanks

I reset the PC because the fresh windows update didn't work but it seems to be working, i did lose all of my apps though. Thanks for your help

Strange!  Never seen a windows update mess up the BIOS that hard. First time for everything I guess.

Glad you got it sorted 🙂

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

Glad you got it sorted 🙂

It might not be the update and something with the backend messing up and it was only apparent after the update. Anyway i'm glad its over

@Hinjimajust outta curiosity, what do you think the odds are that a virus caused this? I don't have the best security/antivirus but is it possible that this is caused by that. I will tighten up security if it is.

8 hours ago, cananythingrunsmoothly said:

@Hinjimajust outta curiosity, what do you think the odds are that a virus caused this? I don't have the best security/antivirus but is it possible that this is caused by that. I will tighten up security if it is.

The chances of this being caused by a virus very low, they don't tend to mess with the BIOS like this.  If you don't visit shady websites you should be more than good with the built in antivirus scanner in Windows.

I use that + Malwarebytes  ( Free ) to keep my PC safe 🙂

16 hours ago, cananythingrunsmoothly said:

I also forgot to mention, sometimes the BIOS will be ok but windows not and vice versa.

Do you have another GPU you can use? This comment makes me think your GPU could be slowly dying, sometimes giving you corrupted graphics, sometimes not. (Shame on me for not reading the whole thread)

If your bios was somehow borked, graphical corruption is not likely to be the end result. Your system would be more or less bricked since this bios intermediates between the hardware and operating system. The interface we visit before os boot is just the tip of the iceberg, really. The acronym literally means basic in/out system. So if the bios was corrupt you would be having much larger issues. Hard locks and the like. 

If necessary, you could look at local classifieds and grab a super cheap potato card to test with. 

I have a hard time seeing how reinstalling Windows would fix your bios - those are two entirely separate walled gardens. I know updates to bios are sometimes pushed through Windows update, but as I say I'd be quite surprised if the issue was the bios at all.