Apple Internal Repair Videos Leak

Giiman95

Source Article: https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/23/leaked-internal-apple-videos-detail-iphone-x-imac-pro-macbook-pro-repairs/

• "As spotted by Reddit user turnby, the 11 internal Apple repair guides showed up on YouTube recently. Motherboard got in touch with the YouTuber who uploaded them about a month ago that were first discovered on Twitter. However, they were likely kept as privately listed on YouTube until recently as Apple would have taken action to pull them long before now."
  • These videos provide a glimpse into how Apple repairs our devices. It also shows why some repairs are either very difficult for a user or third party to repair, or are straight up impossible to do without internal tools.

Video Links: 

The videos have been taken down.

Personal Notes:

That display calibration tool is what made me have to get a replacement. The tool was unable to connect to Apple's servers, so 5 hours after my quoted repair time, and multiple trips, the technician finally told me that I needed a replacement device. All fine and dandy except that I had to restore 86 Gigabytes of data which made me go over on my ISP Data Cap for the month because I hadn't anticipated such a large download.

@GabenJr At least now you know how Apple would've fixed your iMac Pro.

"At Apple, we like to bullshit paying customers, while uploading their solutions where literally anyone can view them. Why? Because fuck you, that's why".

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Maybe Linus can finally fix his iMac!

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Looks pretty normal to me. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Maybe Linus can finally fix his iMac!

The IMac pros as been repaired .  He did not say were the parts came from

PS : The video is on FloatPlane,and may eventually show on YouTube

21 minutes ago, Giiman95 said:

All fine and dandy except that I had to restore 86 Gigabytes of data which made me go over on my ISP Data Cap for the month because I hadn't anticipated such a large download.

How much data are you allotted a month?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Please tell me again why it took so long to learn how to repair an iMac? Its not that hard. 

12 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

How much data are you allotted a month?

300 gigabytes. It’s either choose a local ISP with fast speeds and data cap, or slow-unreliable speeds with ‘unlimited data’.

Pretty normal repair guide videos. Just for who these are aimed for?

I'm not that into looking at the hardware on that level, but if I needed to watch more than 10 minutes of these kind of videos, I would feel very underrated. With those videos even a monkey could fix a Mac and they feel a lot like in the first part they go through how to open your iToolkit and a ziplock bag, probably even how to put on the anti-static wristband and to remember that it has a wire and you should be always aware of it so you don't get tangled. Like if someone needs that kind of information and probably repeated in every video, I don't think they are qualified enough to be a repair technician.

24 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Pretty normal repair guide videos. Just for who these are aimed for?

I'm not that into looking at the hardware on that level, but if I needed to watch more than 10 minutes of these kind of videos, I would feel very underrated. With those videos even a monkey could fix a Mac and they feel a lot like in the first part they go through how to open your iToolkit and a ziplock bag, probably even how to put on the anti-static wristband and to remember that it has a wire and you should be always aware of it so you don't get tangled. Like if someone needs that kind of information and probably repeated in every video, I don't think they are qualified enough to be a repair technician.

Well they are "internal" videos. Dumb everything down so even an amoeba can do it and noone can claim against Apple they "never knew how to do anything" is someone gets hurt or a product gets damaged etc, because if they followed those instruction videos nothing bad would of happened yadda yadda >insert legality bs cover story<. Typical "cover our ass obvious simple instructions are obvious" video.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

That looks like a ifixit video

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Well they are "internal" videos. Dumb everything down so even an amoeba can do it and noone can claim against Apple they "never knew how to do anything" is someone gets hurt or a product gets damaged etc. Typical "cover our ass obvious simple instructions are obvious" video.

Yeah, but the amount of steps that are just for monkeys is quite a too much. What a competent repair technician really needs from the iMac Pro display panel video are: What parts of the display are glued in and where are the cables. They don't need to know how to use the tools or how to clean the display after the repair, they are just waste of time which would be better in a separate video for dummies or even just "refer a manual for additional steps if you are not familiar with this repair". Nothing wrong with having them in there, but just waste of time and gives out the vibes that the skilled repair technicians at Apple aren't that skilled. Having seen some internal repair videos in the past, they were more like less than a minute long, down to the point so no ones time is wasted and if that wasn't enough "RTFM or call in another technician".

Why do they call it logic board. Everyone calls it a motherboard, is this just Apple being Apple.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

26 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Yeah, but the amount of steps that are just for monkeys is quite a too much. What a competent repair technician really needs from the iMac Pro display panel video are: What parts of the display are glued in and where are the cables. They don't need to know how to use the tools or how to clean the display after the repair, they are just waste of time which would be better in a separate video for dummies or even just "refer a manual for additional steps if you are not familiar with this repair". Nothing wrong with having them in there, but just waste of time and gives out the vibes that the skilled repair technicians at Apple aren't that skilled. Having seen some internal repair videos in the past, they were more like less than a minute long, down to the point so no ones time is wasted and if that wasn't enough "RTFM or call in another technician".

While your point is quite true, the lawyers worth their salt that they hire would be fools not to make sure they cover  ALL THE THINGS in these instructional videos that people ranging from -1 IQ to quantum computer levels of intelligence should be doing least they could be sued or w/e. Sad state of affairs but, people are dicks =/

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

22 minutes ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

Why do they call it logic board. Everyone calls it a motherboard, is this just Apple being Apple.

Originally Mac had 2 "boards" to do their computy things. One of these was the logic board. That name stuck as they merged both into one "board" and viola, here we are today.

16 hours ago, Giiman95 said:

300 gigabytes. It’s either choose a local ISP with fast speeds and data cap, or slow-unreliable speeds with ‘unlimited data’.

Damn that sucks. Now I feel bad for being upset about a 1 terabyte data cap. I just don't like the idea of a data cap especially when paying a good chuck of change for a high bandwidth connection. 

15 hours ago, Noctus said:

Originally Mac had 2 "boards" to do their computy things. One of these was the logic board. That name stuck as they merged both into one "board" and viola, here we are today.

10/10 for the info mate, -1000000000000000000000000/10 for the absolutely disgraceful use of Comic Sans.

On topic, The videos are no longer available now. Which is to be expected to be honest, if the average consumer found out how they could also repair their own devices Apple would lose out on some of their very important profits.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

7 minutes ago, TheDeepShadow said:

Here you are :)

Just downloaded it before its taken down.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

didnt really learn anything new tbh.  I learned most of those already from Louis Rossmann

On 24/07/2018 at 5:40 AM, Giiman95 said:

What country you in?