LG Display Signs Deal With Apple to Supply OLED and LCD Panels for 2018 iPhones

LG Display has signed a deal with Apple to supply both LCD and OLED panels for the company's 2018 range of iPhones, according to a new report by Korea-based Newspin (via DigiTimes).

The contract will see LG Display ship around 20 million LCD smartphone panels to Apple in 2018, according to the report, which also puts the number of OLED panels to be supplied by LG in the 3 to 4 million ballpark range, as per previous rumors.

In addition, the report claims LG is "likely" to secure the majority of 6.5-inch panel orders from Apple in 2019, which will see the firm ramp up its OLED shipments to 10 million units in the year. LG will reportedly produce the OLED panels for iPhone at its E6 6G plant in Paju, Korea.

Apple is expected to launch two OLED iPhones (5.8 and 6.5 inches) and one 6.1-inch LCD iPhone later this year, with the LCD device to be positioned as a low-cost option alongside the two more expensive OLED devices.  

db25482d5e7edddb4ee42b83472f8237.png

Apple's desire for both LCD and OLED supplies also comes at a crucial time for LG. The company posted a net loss of 98.3 billion Korean won ($87 million) in the first quarter of 2018, with the prospect of almost doubling that figure in losses for the second quarter.

LG's financial constraints also underline the importance of avoiding a repeat of the firm's past OLED mistakes, such as befell its Flex and G Flex 2 phones, released in 2013 and 2015, respectively. Both smartphone displays were widely criticized at the time for exhibiting graininess and variations in brightness, issues which returned in LG's own V30 and the Google Pixel 2 XL in models launched last year.

Source : https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/13/lg-apple-deal-supply-oled-lcd-panels-2018-iphones/

I think this is good for both companies, Apple becomes less reliant on Samsung's displays, and LG gets much needed $$. 

why make the LCD display a different size to either OLED display?

I'd rather have a 6.5" LCD :P.

Edit: Also queue the Apple iPhone XI OLED Replacement Program

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Has LG improved their OLED's to the point that Apple can use them without worries? Samsung has the best OLED panels for phones, better than LG, and their last attempt with V30 showed some flaws with them. And the iPhone X had the best all around calibrated panel which was a Samsung panel. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

You can only imagine that Apple will hold LGs feet to the fire on this one. Good mobile OLED screens out of LG will benefit Apple, LG and Google. Having another OLED screen manufacturer competing effectively with Samsung is good news

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

How long untill a major flaw is found in at least 1 of these three phones?

My guess is 5 months and the flaw is in the most expencive model

20 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

How long untill a major flaw is found in at least 1 of these three phones?

My guess is 5 months and the flaw is in the most expencive model

Apple did invest 2 point something billion in LG's OLED development, I doubt we'll see another Pixel fiasco again. 

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Its for the budget iPhone. It's pretty nice It's going to be the same size as the iPhone 8 but with a 6.1" screen. 

28 minutes ago, NinerL said:

Apple did invest 2 point something billion in LG's OLED development, I doubt we'll see another Pixel fiasco again. 

I think we will see dead pixels everywhere ;)

From what I recall the problems with LG's solutions were just as much the DDIC as the panel itself. OLED displays takes a lot of work to function properly and in the meantime there has been a few (allegedly) top tier non-Samsung DDIC releases including one from Synaptics I believe, so even an upgrade just to the DDIC could drastically improve display quality even if the panels still are kinda garbage. Not that LG hasn't improved their OLED displays but I honestly think it's a waste of time to invest too much into it with MicroLED looking very promising and without any of the disadvantages of OLED.

So lower quality panels than what Samsung offers, at the same price if not more (the device, not the Panels), just to go full Nelson on Samsung?

Smart.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, NinerL said:

LG Display has signed a deal with Apple to supply both LCD and OLED panels for the company's 2018 range of iPhones, according to a new report by Korea-based Newspin (via DigiTimes).

The contract will see LG Display ship around 20 million LCD smartphone panels to Apple in 2018, according to the report, which also puts the number of OLED panels to be supplied by LG in the 3 to 4 million ballpark range, as per previous rumors.

In addition, the report claims LG is "likely" to secure the majority of 6.5-inch panel orders from Apple in 2019, which will see the firm ramp up its OLED shipments to 10 million units in the year. LG will reportedly produce the OLED panels for iPhone at its E6 6G plant in Paju, Korea.

Apple is expected to launch two OLED iPhones (5.8 and 6.5 inches) and one 6.1-inch LCD iPhone later this year, with the LCD device to be positioned as a low-cost option alongside the two more expensive OLED devices.  

db25482d5e7edddb4ee42b83472f8237.png

Apple's desire for both LCD and OLED supplies also comes at a crucial time for LG. The company posted a net loss of 98.3 billion Korean won ($87 billion) in the first quarter of 2018, with the prospect of almost doubling that figure in losses for the second quarter.

LG's financial constraints also underline the importance of avoiding a repeat of the firm's past OLED mistakes, such as befell its Flex and G Flex 2 phones, released in 2013 and 2015, respectively. Both smartphone displays were widely criticized at the time for exhibiting graininess and variations in brightness, issues which returned in LG's own V30 and the Google Pixel 2 XL in models launched last year.

Source : https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/13/lg-apple-deal-supply-oled-lcd-panels-2018-iphones/

I think this is good for both companies, Apple becomes less reliant on Samsung's displays, and LG gets much needed $$. 

Can you fix the money loss. 98.3 billion won is not 87 billion dollars. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Can you fix the money loss. 98.3 billion won is not 87 billion dollars. 

87 million*

87 billion and the company would be bankrupt LOL 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

87 million*

87 billion and the company would be bankrupt LOL 

That's what I was thinking when I first saw it but then I remember my Korean friend saying once that you divide won by 1000 and it will give the rough value in usd.

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

That's what I was thinking when I first saw it but then I remember my Korean friend saying once that you divide won by 1000 and it will give the rough value in usd.

I just used google currency translator :P 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

I just used google currency translator :P 

I was trying to build a parts list for him so doing that would have been super time consuming. 

Never had good experience with LG regardless of product. Really dont see this ending without some sort flaw eventually.

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

From what I recall the problems with LG's solutions were just as much the DDIC as the panel itself. OLED displays takes a lot of work to function properly and in the meantime there has been a few (allegedly) top tier non-Samsung DDIC releases including one from Synaptics I believe, so even an upgrade just to the DDIC could drastically improve display quality even if the panels still are kinda garbage. Not that LG hasn't improved their OLED displays but I honestly think it's a waste of time to invest too much into it with MicroLED looking very promising and without any of the disadvantages of OLED.

Stuff like black crush and color banding was mostly caused by the poor DDIC. I wonder if LG might perhaps use the Synaptics DDIC shown at ces. Idk if it's ready to be sold yet but if they used it that could be interesting.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Might not be entirely voluntary.  Could be that the backlight forces a larger frame to hold all the components, could be the display controller hardware... we'd probably need a teardown to have an idea of what it's like inside each phone!

I hope LG gets it's shit together for this. The screen on my X is incredible, and I would hope the LG panel would be comparable. And 6.5" X is very appealing.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

I am confused. Who holds the patent for OLED exactly? LG holds the patents OLED and Samsung (S)AMOLED or what? And TV's and phone displays?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

I am confused. Who holds the patent for OLED exactly? LG holds the patents OLED and Samsung (S)AMOLED or what? And TV's and phone displays?

OLED is a broad term. My understanding is lots of companies have patents for their way of making them. Samsung probably has some; from wikipedia, LG seems to have a licensing agreement of sorts for their's

In January 2015, LG Display signed a long term agreement with Universal Display Corporation for the supply of OLED materials and the right to use their patented OLED emitters

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Apple must've been impressed enough to sign them up.

I think they did the panels for the X, so we'll see how this turns out. People have been bitching at them for not going to OLED and we're going to have people bitch about them going to OLED. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, CTR640 said:

SAMOLED isn't a patent. It's a trademark.

Multiple companies hold multiple patents.

Samsung is known for their pentile display matrix (and I believe their technique and implementation is patented) which works great in small form factors (eg phones). LG is known for their OLED displays in TVs which uses white OLED with color filters instead of an RGB OLED display. It makes it a lot cheaper and easier to make large TVs and I also think it's patented. 

I thought Apple was supposed to be rolling out micro led in the next year or two

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys.