Tech YouTuber GamersNexus' House/Studio almost burned down

AlTech
13 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nope. Totally still there.

Hide contents

image.png.65442ce393ae885d501dfd7709acdfe7.png

I think someone with that much hair should only have one eyebrow.  It seems wrong that his are that far apart.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Damn. that's scary . glad hes okay.

Details separate people.

I wonder which electrician looked at the live wires just hanging around like that and thought "Ye, that's good enough". 

I thought it was common sense to never leave live wires dangling just like that 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I wonder which electrician looked at the live wires just hanging around like that and thought "Ye, that's good enough". 

I thought it was common sense to never leave live wires dangling just like that 

It was the same one that decided to put the obviously wrong breakers in the panel. They don't even look like the originals, at least then he could be forgiven.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

24 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

It was the same one that decided to put the obviously wrong breakers in the panel. They don't even look like the originals, at least then he could be forgiven.

Whoever did it, they looked like they don't even care to do a proper job. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

18 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Gotta agree there! This is some scary shit!

Yes and I'm especially pissed because I tried to become an Electrician at one point in time...

If I'd done something like that, all hell would break loose...

18 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

But after seeing this I went and check my breaker box

I don't because I do those myself. As far as that's possible of course.

There are things you can not touch or must not like the thing that counts what you used. If you touch that in a wrong way, you've got a Problem. 
Only, what we call here, a Master might touch those...

16 hours ago, Scheer said:

I believe the fastest way in the US is 2 years of schooling and 2 years on the job training under a licensed Electrician to get your Journeyman licence.

In Germany its one Year Full time School and then 2,5 Years training in the field, usually you should go with different persons. But within those 2,5 Years of Fieldtraining you have to go to school once a week.

16 hours ago, Scheer said:

The problem is you learn the proper way to do it in school for 2 years, then you spend 2 years learning to cut corners and forgetting the proper way.

Yeah and here we have a classical chicken <-> egg problem or the loop of doom.

Because your trainer is incompetent, the new guys will be incompetent too. And because there is nobody at the top that is competent nobody can be...

There isn't an easy way out of it, that doesn't require some extreme measures...

But its also a Problem of the Parts. 

The Breakers are Standardized but not the position and type of connection.

Depending on the Breakers, you can either use these things or those.

And you can not combine those Breakers or connectors.

BUT: There is an official way around that: You make your own connections out of 10mm² Copper or you use those premade flexible ones.

And a normal breaker Box in Germany looks like this:

https://www.haustechnik-link.de/galerie/elektro/

Or for a more industrial like thingy (in this case a school kitchen):

http://elektrotechnik-kh.de/ueber-uns/referenzenanlagenbilder/

(we use electricity for cooking stuff. Because we can, you can not: 230VAC).

And normal Breakers are 10-16Ampere, sometimes even 6A normally used is the B Characteristic and sometimes C, if you want/need to.

More than 16A is pretty uncommon and rarely ever happens. The only time you have 32A Breakers (or 35A Fuses) is a flow heater. But for those you need 3 Phases anyway and an Earth...

Those are rated between 18 and 32 Kilowatts...

An electric cookingfield is usually connected with 3 phases as well, but only 16A. Though some electricians like to use 2,5mm² instead of 1,5mm² for this application for safety reasons...

And something you should also know: In Germany we had a suicide plug. It was 4 Pin and if you filed off the polarity nose you could plug it in the wrong way and you had 220VAC on the case of the device...

It is the only thing I know that is really forbidden to use. If you had one of those, it had to be replaced with a more safe variant. That is the only case I know of a thing that was quasi recalled in the field...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 hours ago, aezakmi said:

breaker: *burns inside a fireproof box*

youtube: ALMOST BURNT MY HOUSE MUST WATCH

firefighters: wii u wii u wii u

call-9111.jpg

also who tf leaves live wires hanging????

Actually, it burned the wall around the panel. The wiring inside the wall was compromised and was starting an electrical fire, which first responders and the power company were able to stop by disabling the power at the transformer. The main breaker did not trip and wouldn't cut off. This was more than just the panel. The wiring in the wall was starting to go. Had to replace a bunch of sheet rock also, as it had incinerated/scorched around the panel. Basically a lot of arcing. 

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

An electric cookingfield is usually connected with 3 phases as well, but only 16A. Though some electricians like to use 2,5mm² instead of 1,5mm² for this application for safety reasons...

Uhh that's weird, never seen that before. 3 phase in 220V-240V countries to residential households is rather rare far as I've seen, maybe Europe is just weird ;). All single phase here unless you really need some serious power draw, above 60A (~14kw).

TPS two-core 
cable (mm2)
Earth Current 
(A)
Wattage
(kW)
Used for:
6.0 Yes 40 9.75 • Dedicated circuit to freestanding stove.
4.0 Yes 32 7.75 • Dedicated circuits to hob, wall oven, heat pump, embedded floor and undertile heating, remote electric continuous-flow water heater.
2.5 Yes 24 5.75 • Power outlets with maximum 3 double outlets per circuit – kitchens, laundries.
• Power outlets with up to 12 double outlets per circuit and maximum load of 10 amps per outlet – areas other than kitchens, laundries.
• Water heater with maximum element rating of 3–4 kW.
• Submains to garage or outbuilding (separate circuit for each building).
• Permanently connected appliances. (Note that appliances rated above 10 amps require a dedicated circuit, but up to 10 amps may be wired as part of power outlet circuit.)
1.5 Yes 18 4.25 • Water heater with maximum element rating of 3 kW.
1.0 Yes 14 3.25 • Lights with maximum load on any one circuit of 10 amps. (Note that a minimum of 2 circuits per dwelling is required.)

http://www.level.org.nz/energy/electrical-design/wiring/wiring-materials/

Out of interest here in an NZ main board.

image.thumb.png.9cf39644728041969acc75bdc4fad21f.png

image.thumb.png.5e8b9434fb59832567cc859c344f5ebc.png

RCD feeds to all circuit breakers required by law here (as well as wall outlet RCD in wet areas).

image.thumb.png.354abe7e4977ea9b9a9becea107cd494.png

C25 is dedicated to dual 15A outlets for my UPSs/server racks, also got 4mm cable installed for it so can increase to C32 if required/allowed.

Edit: Fixed messed up images, oops heh.

Judging by the looks of it - those cables aren't even sleeved. I expected more from someone coming from a Tech Channel...

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

25 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Judging by the looks of it - those cables aren't even sleeved. I expected more from someone coming from a Tech Channel...

I wouldnt tbh. From an engineer or someone who works with real computers like HPC and mainframes or does datacenter work i would expect better :P

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

- Snip -

Me - *looks at my house's old school single lever-design ghetto circuit breaker*

Yep looks like everything's connected here so...

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Uhh that's weird, never seen that before. 3 phase in 220V-240V countries to residential households is rather rare far as I've seen, maybe Europe is just weird ;). All single phase here unless you really need some serious power draw, above 60A (~14kw).

http://www.level.org.nz/energy/electrical-design/wiring/wiring-materials/

image.thumb.png.9cf39644728041969acc75bdc4fad21f.png

image.thumb.png.5e8b9434fb59832567cc859c344f5ebc.png

RCD feeds to all circuit breakers required by law here (as well as wall outlet RCD in wet areas).

image.thumb.png.354abe7e4977ea9b9a9becea107cd494.png

C25 is dedicated to dual 15A outlets for my UPSs/server racks, also got 4mm cable installed for it so can increase to C32 if required/allowed.

Edit: Fixed messed up images, oops heh.

We're still running an old wire fuse unit in my house, looks something like this: 

full

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

When I was doin it, ~20 Years ago, all houses I've seen all had 3 Phases input, don't remember if it was 35A or 63A (my house has 63A, obviously).

Many of those don't have anything that consumes more than the Cooking Field...

But I've also heard from other people that its different. I think it probably depends if you got a house or a flat/appartment. In Appartments I've seen one Phases. But some also had three, depending on the size.

It seems like its about the same in Germany as well

Though there are also some bigger tables with more variants like how the cable is installed (like in the wall, nailed to the wall and so on, how many "live wires" you have)...

C25 is dedicated to dual 15A outlets for my UPSs/server racks, also got 4mm cable installed for it so can increase to C32 is required/allowed.

Interesting.

Looks kinda similar to Germany but also very different.

@leadeater Australia and NZ share some of the worlds best Standards, especially electrical. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

30 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

It seems like its about the same in Germany as well

Though there are also some bigger tables with more variants like how the cable is installed (like in the wall, nailed to the wall and so on, how many "live wires" you have)...

Generally I'd expect most countries that use the same voltage and frequency to be fairly similar for electrical standards, for the most part they are international with minor localization tweaks for extra building codes that country has. The US 120V system is the one that weirds me out the most, that whole combining 2 phases to get 240V for larger appliances just feels wrong to me as well as having to deal with 2 different voltages in a single dwelling.

The full electrical wiring standards document is very long, that page is just a helper guide for quick information and identification (basically for home handyman), not something I'd read for the fun of it that's for sure lol.

I'd actually like a 3 phase run in to my property, I'd do a 3 phase solar install and put a much larger UPS in than I have. Surprising just how little computer equipment you need to hit large power draws when you hit them hard.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The US 120V system is the one that weirds me out the most, that whole combining 2 phases to get 240V for larger appliances just feels wrong to me as well as having to deal with 2 different voltages in a single dwelling.

I still can't work out why they do it,   You need fatter cable for the extra current draw when running half the voltage.  There is only some much you can run of a single outlet which are obviously rated at a higher Amperage.  Then you see the you-tubers talking about their 240V extension cables (how you have to buy really good ones) and they are as thick as anchor ropes, somebody must have forgotten to tell them you don't need 20amps at 240V.

On 7/12/2018 at 2:07 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Very much so. :P

Not even fire can stop that hair. 

17 hours ago, leadeater said:

3 phase in 220V-240V countries to residential households is rather rare far as I've seen

Yep, usually there is only only one by us too, and you have to pay a small fortune to the power company to get 3 phase.... :dry: BTW RCD's arent required by law so our breaker box is pretty plain:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sry25vuyojxnzts/DSC02979.JPG?dl=0

55 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

when your fauna could shoulder bump into people and leave them in hospital for months

We invented golf carts for a reason.

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

holy crap did they pot a shot onto a kangaroo?! O_O

I think he was just an angry one that liked chasing people.  This likely was filmed around mating time or just after a joey was born.  

56 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Yep, usually there is only only one by us too, and you have to pay a small fortune to the power company to get 3 phase.... :dry:

Guess we're lucky then ;)

BTW RCD's arent required by law so our

I don't know the modern standards but I know there was some change.

In the olden days when I was trying to do it, RCDs were required for the Bathroom. I don't know the state right now...

That looks like a German Breaker Box...

And since we are talking about three phase:
In some countrys, AFAIR it was France, it is required for the Neutral to be larger than the phases.

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

when your fauna could shoulder bump into people and leave them in hospital for months

Yea our tiny flightless birds are extremely dangerous lol. Aussies on the other hand, what doesn't try and kill you over there??