3gb or 6gb gpu? And compability.

Premoz1

So, I have already chosen amd ryzen 5 1600 as my cpu, and ASUS Prime B350-Plus ATX. So I have chosen to choose nvidia gpu. I feel like 1060 would be good, but there is 3gb and 6gb version. What is the difference, and which one is better for my budget? I have about 1k € budget including display. And how can I know the compability with my motherboard and GPU?

If you can afford the 6GB version then get that but if you don't then the 3GB isn't bad and still is much faster than a 1050Ti, and yes both GPU's would be compatible with this motherboard. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Yeah, but I asked that how can I know it myself, if I would some reason change my motherboard.. But thanks for reply tho

2 minutes ago, Premoz1 said:

Yeah, but I asked that how can I know it myself, if I would some reason change my motherboard.. But thanks for reply tho

If it has a pcie 16x slot then it is compatible. 

3 minutes ago, Premoz1 said:

Any motherboard with PCIe is compatible.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Okay, then there is a second thing I just want to know. When I checkout the B350-Plus slots, it says that it has "1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 (x16)" and "1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16" so what is the difference with 3.0 and 2.0? Is it important to know when buying motherboard?

1 minute ago, Premoz1 said:

Okay, then there is a second thing I just want to know. When I checkout the B350-Plus slots, it says that it has "1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 (x16)" and "1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16" so what is the difference with 3.0 and 2.0? Is it important to know when buying motherboard?

3.0 has more bandwidth so it is what you want to put the gpu in if you have it available but 2.0 is still just fine for modern gpus as we haven't gotten to the point where gpus need the extra bandwidth of 3.0. 

3 minutes ago, Premoz1 said:

3.0 is faster, but current gen cards don't really take advantage of it.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

And btw is that "DIMM DDR4 slot" for ram? Just to make sure.. So basically, I got already 2x4gb ram sticks on my pc, so can buy other pair of 2x4gb and get 16gb? 

And by the way, what are the m2 slots for? And what else stuff I can install on the PCI 16X slots, than GPU????

15 minutes ago, Premoz1 said:

And btw is that "DIMM DDR4 slot" for ram? Just to make sure.. So basically, I got already 2x4gb ram sticks on my pc, so can buy other pair of 2x4gb and get 16gb? 

Only if the RAM you currently have is DDR4. if you currently have 8GB DDR3 and want 16GB DDR4, you'd need to buy either a set of 2x 8GB sticks or 1x 16GB stick

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Okay. But now I gotta ask, that what is the main difference between 100€ and 300€ motherboards? I know, it may be more expensive because of the extra slots, but what does that wifi and bluetooth mean in the motherboard? I am using wifi and sometimes sharing my internet from my phone, do I need wifi or bluetooth in motherboard? You can see that I am very confused..

35 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

3.0 is faster, but current gen cards don't really take advantage of it.

iirc a 1080ti (or better) gets real close to needing PCIe 3.0 in some games.

oviously not a problem for this user however.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

So they give better wifi? Do I need that ?

It's funny to see an article inquiring about the 3GB vs 6GB cards considering I just watched this video below a day or two ago.

While his testing was limited by the ram sticks he had on hand, playing modern games showed that the video card with the lower ram required more ram on the system to compensate since not all textures could be loaded into the graphics card at once. So in short a 3GB 1060 gpu might necessitate 16GB of system ram whereas a 6GB 1060 would be OK with 8GB of system ram.

Well how it helps me ;-; Does it make it faster