World's Fastest Internet - 1.6 TERABITS per Second

4 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Thanks to Com Hem for sponsoring this video! Learn more about their on-going collaboration with DreamHack at http://geni.us/1EtTciE

Get info about upcoming DreamHack events: http://geni.us/yuDWlC

I am not sure if this is a glitch on YouTube or it was meant to be although this video is posted as unlisted and does not appear under the "videos" section of the LinusTechTips channel page.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I am not sure if this is a glitch on YouTube or it was meant to be although this video is posted as unlisted and does not appear under the "videos" section of the LinusTechTips channel page.

They often make the video public shortly after linking it here - It'll take a couple minutes for them to flip the switch.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

For those wondering, the technology is called DWDM (Dense Wave Division Multiplexing) and is part of what's used for GPON and a lot of other fiber based installs to split the signal between homes and also transmit internet and TV over the same fiber. Unlike GPON and other fiber installs that use a single fiber, this uses a pair of fibers instead all the way to the node.

XGPON (the latest GPON revision iirc) is only capable of about 10Gbps down and 2.5Gbps up right now.

Edit:

To clarify, this is a simplified explanation, as mentioned below.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Why though

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Why though

Bragging rights, marketing, and to demo some technological advances.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Good job Linus for this amazing information about servers and internet :)

so Comhem can deliver uber fibre to comhem, but not fibre home to me :(

nice bit of black magic gear there for the live streams, I'm somewhat surprised they aren't using something like a tricaster it makes sense when they started to go custom because it is cheaper but now, I guess they just have it custom and tuned with enough support staff for it that it doesn't matter.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Finally it's released, I've been waiting for this video for awhile now :P

also it was fun to bump into to 2 of LTT randomly during the build up of Dreamhack, when I was on my way to help my fellow DH crew mates in stage production

photo_2018-07-08_01-32-48.jpg

For those wondering about the equipment and parts, I think I can say what most of it was:

DWDM Setup:

2x Cisco NCS 2006

--2x NCS2K-400G-XP

--2x NCS2K-12-AD-CCOFS

--2x NCS2K-TNCS-K9

2x NCS2K-MF-1RU

--1x NCS2K-MF-UPG-4

--1x NCS2K-MF-MPO-16LC

Distribution Routers:

2x Juniper MX960 routers with some 10GbE and 40GbE linecards

Distribution Switches:

23x Cisco 3850-48T-L

-- 1x 4x10GbE Module

Access Switches:

Various Cisco 2950, 2960, and other misc switches

Other:

Various patch panels

Some Cisco 4948 switches and other random switches

Several Dell servers and some Cisco UCS boxes

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

23 hours ago, Lurick said:

For those wondering, the technology is called DWDM (Dense Wave Division Multiplexing) and is part of what's used for GPON and a lot of other fiber based installs to split the signal between homes and also transmit internet and TV over the same fiber. Unlike GPON and other fiber installs that use a single fiber, this uses a pair of fibers instead all the way to the node.

XGPON (the latest GPON revision iirc) is only capable of about 10Gbps down and 2.5Gbps up right now.

Hey, just wanted to note that GPON and DWDM are very different things. GPON does use some basic WDM to combine upstream and downstream (and some times a third for CATV) wavelengths, but that is not even close to DWDM levels.

GPON (same for XGPON) are about the method of using a single fiber uplink and a series of passive optical splitters to connect multiple optical terminals.

As for the 10G PON - there also symetric 10G PON standarts, there is not sinble one standard, but a bunch and different HW venfors are betting on different ones.

1 minute ago, PsychoXLR said:

Hey, just wanted to note that GPON and DWDM are very different things. GPON does use some basic WDM to combine upstream and downstream (and some times a third for CATV) wavelengths, but that is not even close to DWDM levels.

GPON (same for XGPON) are about the method of using a single fiber uplink and a series of passive optical splitters to connect multiple optical terminals.

As for the 10G PON - there also symetric 10G PON standarts, there is not sinble one standard, but a bunch and different HW venfors are betting on different ones.

Yah, I should have explained that was a simplified version of it but you are correct. I had kind of figured there would be symmetrical versions of PON but I didn't check into it so that's my bad. Thanks for the info :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

World's Fastest Internet - 1.6 TERABITS per Second

Is it only me or this video should have been called somehting else?  like something something "dreamhack walkthrough". Mainly because they also talk about the rest of the setup there. 

BTW I'm part of the volunteer crew for Dreamhack montreal and it's always awesome to be a part of an event on this scale :D 

On 8.7.2018 at 1:19 AM, Egg-Roll said:

Who games like this O.o

image.png.10449330a15e843949e0e0db1fe61536.png

Like this pro cs player :D

tarik.jpg

On 7/8/2018 at 6:19 AM, Egg-Roll said:

Who games like this O.o

image.png.10449330a15e843949e0e0db1fe61536.png

the guy is playing Starcraft 2, you can see the UI

in Starcraft 2, there is a hotkey custom layout called "The Core". it involved the player to utilized hotkeys for control groups, camera group, skills/spells to its absolute optimization. based on the hotkey layout you kind of have to tilt the keyboard as such

11 hours ago, Jerped said:

BTW I'm part of the volunteer crew for Dreamhack montreal and it's always awesome to be a part of an event on this scale :D 

Nice, you should apply to Dreamhack Winter 2018 :D usually winter is even larger, and we actually do have people from North America join the crew in Sweden :) 

6 hours ago, cmdrhomer said:

Nice, you should apply to Dreamhack Winter 2018 :D usually winter is even larger, and we actually do have people from North America join the crew in Sweden :) 

Yeah I really want to but I lack the money to do so xD    I live near montreal so it's a lot easier for me ^^"

There's also Lan ETS montreal so I am able to go to two lan parties per year :) 

On 7/8/2018 at 1:04 PM, Lurick said:

Yah, I should have explained that was a simplified version of it but you are correct. I had kind of figured there would be symmetrical versions of PON but I didn't check into it so that's my bad. Thanks for the info :)

It's not 8 wavelengths

On 7/8/2018 at 1:04 PM, Lurick said:

Just for an FYI.

There's 2.4 TB ps possible and being deployed in USA for the long haul back bone which splits the wavelength into 96 different frequency. Each capable of carrying 100gbps 

Ciena is making these equipment. Cinema 6500. And wave server ai.

On 7/8/2018 at 7:01 AM, Lurick said:

For those wondering about the equipment and parts, I think I can say what most of it was:

Distribution Routers:

Didn't get enough screen time IMO. Those are some bad-ass routers and they pretty much still run most of the internet backbone to this day.

Those line cards actually support 100G too, and based on the optics, I think that's what they're operating at, plus I think I saw some QSFP48s in the DWDM gear, which makes sense, 4 cables per card, 2 cards per router, 2 routers, makes 1600Gbps. Unfortunately, I have a feeling their upstream capacity is the bottleneck here since I don't know of any ISP that sells over 100G. Still boggles the mind; I've only ever seen 100G on backbones or VERY big tech company uplinks. Also, they skipped slot 0 which hurts my soul.

• 9 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 8:01 AM, Lurick said:

DWDM Setup:

2x Cisco NCS 2006

--2x NCS2K-400G-XP

--2x NCS2K-12-AD-CCOFS

--2x NCS2K-TNCS-K9

2x NCS2K-MF-1RU

--1x NCS2K-MF-UPG-4

--1x NCS2K-MF-MPO-16LC

Distribution Routers:

Distribution Switches:

23x Cisco 3850-48T-L

-- 1x 4x10GbE Module

Access Switches:

Various Cisco 2950, 2960, and other misc switches

Other:

Various patch panels

Some Cisco 4948 switches and other random switches

Several Dell servers and some Cisco UCS boxes

Thanks for finding this out!

I know that I am literally 10 months late to this discussion, but I think that ComHem would have been using NCS 2015's because in order for it to be truly redundant and carry the 1.6 Tbps on failover, only the NCS 2015 can run that much bandwidth. I mean this all in good spirits, thank you for doing this research!

9 minutes ago, Techguy400 said:

Thanks for finding this out!

I know that I am literally 10 months late to this discussion, but I think that ComHem would have been using NCS 2015's because in order for it to be truly redundant and carry the 1.6 Tbps on failover, only the NCS 2015 can run that much bandwidth. I mean this all in good spirits, thank you for doing this research!

I would think they would go with the NCS 2015s but I don't think they had failover in mind as well but just pulled up the pictures and zoomed in to confirm and they are actually using NCS2006's, this picture isn't the best but you can definitely make out the two 2006 chassis on the right side. The 2015s would be much bigger.

Com-Hem-at-Dreamhack.jpg?ssl=1

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 9 months later...